also weird and wonderful

carma2

Reaction score
Driving along a lane near to Gattenside , going to Dryburgh in August , I saw a big cat , a puma come through the left fence
walk across the road and into the woods the other side , my mate got out to look for it but it had vanished .
The ghillie on Drybugh upper , Brian Douglas, said there had been a few reports of this cat but he had never seen one.
Anyone else seen any big cats in the Borders?

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
Driving along a lane near to Gattenside , going to Dryburgh in August , I saw a big cat , a puma come through the left fence
walk across the road and into the woods the other side , my mate got out to look for it but it had vanished .
The ghillie on Drybugh upper , Brian Douglas, said there had been a few reports of this cat but he had never seen one.
Anyone else seen any big cats in the Borders?
I live down near Alnwick in north Northumberland and I saw a big black cat leap over a high wall, run across the road an disappear into woodland. That was about 5 years ago. These creatures are referred to as ABC’s, alien black cats and the magazine ’Fortean Times’ used to run a repeat feature detailing reported sightings, of which there has been loads of in parts of the UK. Incidentally, I worked as a Ghillie at Dryburgh South, as it was then, but never saw any big cats in my time there, unfortunately. I think you were very lucky to see an ABC.

goosander

Reaction score
A farmer friend of mine who's land borders a loch I fish found one of his sheep in the water with its throat torn wide open and partially eaten.
Police came and said it was not the first time.
Bob.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Many years ago, when I left school, I lived near Duns. On a local hill farm, the farmers daughter was having a coffee with the shepherds wife in her cottage. The shepherds wife was looking out the window, when she said, “blimey, look at the size of that fox”. The farmers daughter had a look and said “that’s not a ***** Fox, It’s massive!” The animal then proceeded down the field and started chasing a large Suffolk tup. This then gave them a good idea of its size. The daughter told me that it was reddish brown in colour, about the same height as her parents Doberman but much longer and it’s tail was about the length of its body. It was obviously a puma. She ran to get her father, but by the time he got there with his gun it had gone.
I also know someone in Lanarkshire who saw one twice, in the same spot, crossing a quiet country road very early in the morning. The first time he saw it, he started to question what he had actually seen. The second time, he got a really good look, as it actually stopped right in front of him, in the middle of the road and looked straight at him, before leaping up the banking and over the fence. He said it was 100% a puma, but did not report it, as he said everyone would have been out trying to hunt it down.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Makes you realise what can escape or be released from captivity and how it can adapt to life in the wild. Big cats in particular are very secretive and hunt at night a lot so are rarely seen.

tony considine

Reaction score
I am very sceptical and have always rubbished these 'sightings', but coming from some credible people on here makes me wonder.
A few years back, a neighbor had allowed someone to put their sheep on her land. She called me round one morning to ask 'What had done this?'
A sheep had been cornered and killed. There was blood and wool around but no carcasse. She's a bit neurotic and a big cat believer. I said badgers.
There was a trail where the carcasse had been dragged across the field and stopped at a mesh fence surrounding a private forest. This puzzled me because I doubted badgers could get over this fence. I climbed over the fence to look for a trail but couldn't see one. Strange!

greenhut

Reaction score
I live down near Alnwick in north Northumberland and I saw a big black cat leap over a high wall, run across the road an disappear into woodland. That was about 5 years ago. These creatures are referred to as ABC’s, alien black cats and the magazine ’Fortean Times’ used to run a repeat feature detailing reported sightings, of which there has been loads of in parts of the UK. Incidentally, I worked as a Ghillie at Dryburgh South, as it was then, but never saw any big cats in my time there, unfortunately. I think you were very lucky to see an ABC.
It’s funny you should say that, I also live in Alnwick and drive along the moors every morning at 5am to get to work, about 5 or so years ago we had something run infront or the car, we both saw it. It was some size that kept low to the ground with the tail as long as it’s body, unfortunately it was hard to tell it’s colour as it was dark. Before this i had heard of a tales which i put down to being a load of pish, now I’m not so sure they were.....

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
How many people have seen a wild boar in the wild ? I think I have only seen one fleetingly. It is amazing that you can have populations of quite large animals that very few people ever see. Assuming there are just a few escaped/released big cats in the wild in the UK then it doesn't surprise me that they are not seen very often.

Last edited:

greenhut

Reaction score
How many people have seen a wild boar in the wild ? I think I have only seen one fleetingly. It is amazing that you can have populations of quite large animals that very few peole ever see. Assuming there are just a few escaped/released big cats in the wild in the UK then it doesn't surprise me that they are not seen very often.
Same could be said for badgers, loads of them but rarely seen apart from squashed

rotenone

Reaction score
In the late 90s whilst walking with my Father in Yorkshire, our bull grey hound gave chase to something about 100 metres in front of us at Kirkham Abbey, we both saw what we described as a large black puma like cat, when we eventually got the bitch back she was visible shook up, our guess was she had cornered what ever it was and it turned on her.

Big Ben

Reaction score
I swear i saw the back end of a big cat whilst working at Torphin Hill Golf course a number of years back. I was closing up for the night and the place was empty. There was the main lounge looking over the course at the back of the club house and a small car park at the front with the "dirty bar" also at front.

Must have been after 11 in the summer and still a bit of light when through the window of the dirty bar i saw the back legs and tail of a massive black cat. I mean massive as in puma sized not big old kitty cat size. The tail had the classic low to the ground with the tip turned up you associate with "big cats".

I ran through to the front lounge expecting it to appear next to the first green but it never appeared.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Same could be said for badgers, loads of them but rarely seen apart from squashed
That’s so true. I’ve not seen a Fox in years and yet they are clearly about.
It’s like setting out to capture a snow leopard in an area they’re known to exist in? Can take years of filming just to get a few minutes of footage. It’s hardly surprising as they are gonna nearly always be aware of our presence than the other way round.

Andrew B

Reaction score
How many people have seen a wild boar in the wild ? I think I have only seen one fleetingly. It is amazing that you can have populations of quite large animals that very few peole ever see. Assuming there are just a few escaped/released big cats in the wild in the UK then it doesn't surprise me that they are not seen very often.
Whilst camping in Northern Spain we woke up to find the entire camp had been dug over and yet we never heard a thing.

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
It’s funny you should say that, I also live in Alnwick and drive along the moors every morning at 5am to get to work, about 5 or so years ago we had something run infront or the car, we both saw it. It was some size that kept low to the ground with the tail as long as it’s body, unfortunately it was hard to tell it’s colour as it was dark. Before this i had heard of a tales which i put down to being a load of pish, now I’m not so sure they were.....
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a friend who lives on Alnwick and he used to work for an entertainments company and spent a lot of the time on the road, and when he was returning from a show in Scotland very early one one morning, he saw a very large black cat run across the A697 somewhere north of Powburn. He reckoned it was the size of a puma. This would have been about 10 years ago.

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
I’ve never seen a wild boar in the UK, but I’ve seen loads in and around Berlin, I used to work in Potsdam and Berlin from time to time, common as, I would see them in the suburbs around the railway tracks, they were really quite brazen.

Andrew B

Reaction score
If you think about it, these moorland places in the U.K. which is where these sightings always occur, are set up perfectly for these creatures? Huge deer population, sheep and other domestic animals on tap and virtually uninhabited with a view of all around to keep hidden.
I think only a dog would pick up on their presence? Which reminds me of one of the scariest things I’ve come across.
In the mountains of North Spain they have these huge Spanish mastiffs in with the sheep toprotect them from big cats, bears and wolves. On walking back from a pub on some quiet road one such dog came running to the wall and let out the most frightening bark I’ve ever heard. Just rooted me to the spot lol.
Even so sightings are rare.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
In the last year, family of the missus who stay in the country reported watching a jet black cat chase and corner/follow a domestic cat up a tree. Pics taken and shared, you can tell the breadth of the back and neck it’s not a normal moggy but pics not conclusive due to the distance and scale off a mobile phone. Shared with some mates, pricks just poked fun. Sulked. I’m a believer.

tony considine

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I'm sceptical about big cat sightings is, to my knowledge, no-one has produced a body.
I live in a strong shooting area. There are dozens of such areas throughout the country. Night lamping is carried out regularly to keep the fox population down. Roe deer are shot from high seats. Dawn and dusk are good times. Perfect for spotting a cat on the prowl.
Would you shoot a big cat? I think most people would. Beautiful as they are, they are aliens and not particularly advantageous to our countryside.
When lamping, a big cat would almost certainly act like a very wary fox. It would give you a wide berth, move fairly quickly and probably pause a couple of times to look at you from cover. You see every type of animal at night,(lots of barn owls too). With experience you know a fox from it's actions and reactions. Night vision sights, which a lot of people now use, makes it even easier. Just with a lamp, I think the eyes of a big cat and its' movements would give you no doubt it was a fox. You would take the shot.
Given the number of people out lamping, deer stalking or night vision shooting, someone should surely have come up with a body by now, shot intentionally or by accident.
t.c.

Last edited:

thestump

Reaction score
about 38 yrs ago my friend and i were returning back from an evenings ferreting ,we were on the high ground and looking down towards the middle reaches of the river lossie and a black cat about 3 to 4 ft long was loping along a track that lead to the river,only one i have ever seen but there have been many sightings of black cats in the area though not recently,

Rrrr

Reaction score
Cheers for that, going to be hearing them in the dark when we get to seatrout time

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Cheers for that, going to be hearing them in the dark when we get to seatrout time

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
I've **** myself before with a fox screaming. They can sound so human like sometimes. Sounded like somebody being murdered. Chilled me to the bone.
There loads of them about my bit and I'm on the out skirts of a city. I've come home at night to see one sitting on my neighbours gate post just watching my van until my jack russel hangs out the window going off his nut :LOL:
Seen it there a few times.
Found out my neighbour feeds them