Allys Shrimp

Tony Mac

Reaction score
My first attempt at an Allys shrimp. I found the squirrel moved about a lot when trying to get it tied in

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
👍 better than I can tie it - for a first time tie it’s awesome. If I’m teaching you to suck eggs - wax is your best friend on squirrel and anything thick - might still move a bit ( I used to be a ‘wax doesn’t matter’ person even with pre- waxed threads - but it makes a massive difference adding some). But main thing is you are aware of it, so will watch out for it - so problem solved! Looking forward to some more of your flies Tony, all the best, Patrick

rotenone

Reaction score
My first attempt at an Allys shrimp. I found the squirrel moved about a lot when trying to get it tied in

Excellent fly, if you tie your squirrel in with 2 or 3 smaller bunches instead of 1 larger bunch and use superglued thread wraps as you tie them in, the thread will have more contact with the hair that way and will not move, also you won't feel the need to apply so much pressure with with the thread turns when using the superglue method, excess pressure causes slippery squirrel to flare or rotate because its hollow. Use a scalpel with a new blade to remove the waste and put a dab of glue into the cut ends.

Another method I use is to tie the squirrel in with superglued thread wraps wind forward leaving the ends over the eye, that will give you a secure base to wind a hackle over the hair,. Then when the hackle is wound use a scalpel to trim the excess hair protruding over the eye make your head and the fly finished. If you search monkey Red butt under the sbs section you will see a tying description of how I tie hair wing flies there is no stronger method then glue and scalpel and easy also

Last edited:

Tony Mac

Reaction score
better than I can tie it - for a first time tie it’s awesome. If I’m teaching you to suck eggs - wax is your best friend on squirrel and anything thick - might still move a bit ( I used to be a ‘wax doesn’t matter’ person even with pre- waxed threads - but it makes a massive difference adding some). But main thing is you are aware of it, so will watch out for it - so problem solved! Looking forward to some more of your flies Tony, all the best, Patrick
I don't know about better than you but thanks for the compliment Patrick.

As for the wax, I've only started to really use wax, for a long time I didn't use any but I can definitely see the benefits. I've been using the veniards premium tacky wax that looks like a lip stick. It's a great job. Which do you use?

Tony Mac

Reaction score
Excellent fly, if you tie your squirrel in with 2 or 3 smaller bunches instead of 1 larger bunch and use superglued thread wraps as you tie them in, the thread will have more contact with the hair that way and will not move, also you won't feel the need to apply so much pressure with with the thread turns when using the superglue method, excess pressure causes slippery squirrel to flare or rotate because its hollow. Use a scalpel with a new blade to remove the waste and put a dab of glue into the cut ends.

Another method I use is to tie the squirrel in with superglued thread wraps wind forward leaving the ends over the eye, that will give you a secure base to wind a hackle over the hair,. Then when the hackle is wound use a scalpel to trim the excess hair protruding over the eye make your head and the fly finished. If you search monkey Red butt under the sbs section you will see a tying description of how I tie hair wing flies there is no stronger method then glue and scalpel and easy also
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look for the sbs and have a go at it.

I find when using glue on the thread it creates a really bulky head which I don't like, maybe I'm just doing it wrong

rotenone

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look for the sbs and have a go at it.

I find when using glue on the thread it creates a really bulky head which I don't like, maybe I'm just doing it wrong

it should make a smaller head because less turns are needed

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I don't know about better than you but thanks for the compliment Patrick.

As for the wax, I've only started to really use wax, for a long time I didn't use any but I can definitely see the benefits. I've been using the veniards premium tacky wax that looks like a lip stick. It's a great job. Which do you use?

I’ve tried a few waxes but now use veniards. It definitely benefits for breaking it into thinner pieces and doing a davie mcphail. Or if you don’t mind a bit of mess in your man cave - touching against the side of the radiator to soften ( but it will leave marks !!).

Rotenone makes a good point - you can also add in small layers of hair. For superglue - just add a touch on a needle or bobbin needle and run onto your thread. Just a smidge. I definitely put glue on for the likes of monkey or goat which can be super slippy. All the best, Patrick

Tony Mac

Reaction score
I'll have to have another go at the glue on the thread technique, I think I've been putting too much on.

What I like about the thread is once I do a turn to keep the material on the hook I can adjust and move the materials into the finel position I want. I found using the glue I was just making a mess
I'll try again tho, this time with less glue