Ally's Shrimp

easky

Reaction score
One of the 'modern classics' from the Gowans's stable, maybe not just as popular or en vogue as they used to be but still a great fly to have in your box!

Conehead version to get down a little

Allys Conehead crop.JPG

And a close up
Allys plain conehead crop.JPG

And double version
Allys hook crop.JPG

And close up
Allys close up crop.JPG

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Where have you tied the flash in at?
Looks like it is at the head and not the tail?
Nice tying by the way πŸ‘

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
thanks and its tied in just after the tail and before the body, but as all the materials are lined along the same plane it is a bit hard to tell :)
Thank you πŸ‘
I wasn't sure if I could see a glimpse of it further up the body than that. πŸ‘

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Very nice flies, did you double layer the tippets to get such a dense band of black?

easky

Reaction score
Very nice flies, did you double layer the tippets to get such a dense band of black?
Thanks Ian, and no I experimented a bit with just pinching a bunch of tippet fibres and tying in but this was a little hit and miss. Found using a whole feather worked better and gives a more consistent and neater result. Like you sometimes do with a beard hackle, I cut out the center, then tie in loosely and draw forward until the tips merge and line up nicely. You can vary the density of the finished result by varying the number of fibres each side of the v cut. Hope that makes sense!

Rennie

Reaction score
easky, would you use that particular type of hook with a turle knot, or some other type of knot.Like the hook pattern, but unsure about the angle of the eye.The flee as ever is stunning!
Pedro.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
easky, would you use that particular type of hook with a turle knot, or some other type of knot.Like the hook pattern, but unsure about the angle of the eye.The flee as ever is stunning!
Pedro.

Rapala knot πŸ‘πŸ»

easky

Reaction score
Pedro.
Thanks Rennie and it’s not a knot I use. As Lamson says a Rapala knot or regular clinch knot would be the choice. This is a Loop down eye, very strong and I like the overall profile. They are designed to reduce potential of skating in smaller sizes. Interestingly a new range of Loop hooks coming out very soon, and some will be more suited to the Turle πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Thanks Rennie and it’s not a knot I use. As Lamson says a Rapala knot or regular clinch knot would be the choice. This is a Loop down eye, very strong and I like the overall profile. They are designed to reduce potential of skating in smaller sizes. Interestingly a new range of Loop hooks coming out very soon, and some will be more suited to the Turle πŸ˜‰πŸ‘
Interesting, have you seen the new range Andrew? Do they differ much from the current range

DrPatrickT

Reaction score

Andrew B

Reaction score
Just superb and I wonder how many Salmon this pattern snared?
Genius fly pattern from Allie Gowan’s. It’s one of those rare things like Hans Van Klinkens creation for trout fishing, the Allies shrimp was one such creation imo?