Algae danger to dogs

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
We have a lot of the blue/green type up here in Wester Ross and probably elsewhere in the Highlands due to the conditions. It is dangerous to dogs, yesterday I learned of a crofter who lost a sheepdog after the dog drank some contaminate water, even licking their coat after being in this water can be fatal. Please keep your dogs safe.

M

goosander

Reaction score
The fishing gets banned when the blue algae appears.
There is a loch beside us which can have easily 30 plus cars parked and there owners in swimming / paddle boarding and other things. They have been told to stop but still carry on. Wonder what will happen if anyone dies.
Bob.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
We have a lot of the blue/green type up here in Wester Ross and probably elsewhere in the Highlands due to the conditions. It is dangerous to dogs, yesterday I learned of a crofter who lost a sheepdog after the dog drank some contaminate water, even licking their coat after being in this water can be fatal. Please keep your dogs safe.

M
I was ghillieing on the Conon about three years ago when a young springer died after rolling and having a drink in the shallows of the pool just below Moy Bridge. The dog was dead in a few hours after ingesting some of the algae.
The following afternoon I met a woman walking a dog at a pool just above Conon Bridge. I could see the algae in the shallows and warned her about the dangers of the algae. She said she knew as it was her dog that had died. I still wonder what the hell was she thinking....