Alcohol limits cut to reduce health risks

JSO

Reaction score
Yes here we go again!!!

I am grown up and over 21, I know that alcohol can, and does, cause massive health and social problems. Now apparently we should not drink more than six pints of 4% beer a week, and wait for it......................NO you cant have all six pints on a Sunday lunchtime!!! It seems to me that the government is confusing the weekly intake guidelines with what in the 80's we did in fact call lunch.

Tell you what, I will limit my daily alcohol intake. Providing I am not driving or causing any offence to anyone and as the afore mentioned "grown up and over 21" I will reasonably limit my daily intake to as much or as little as I bloody well feel like drinking.
Don't these people know the pressures, frustrations and (very) occasional need to celebrate that we Salmon Anglers are under?

I was going to give up smoking this year but I think I will give up recycling instead.

A very happy and possibly more sober New Year to you all and may all your casting practice be interrupted by Salmon. Bring it on!!

simon grace

Reaction score
Yes here we go again!!!

I am grown up and over 21, I know that alcohol can, and does, cause massive health and social problems. Now apparently we should not drink more than six pints of 4% beer a week, and wait for it......................NO you cant have all six pints on a Sunday lunchtime!!! It seems to me that the government is confusing the weekly intake guidelines with what in the 80's we did in fact call lunch.

Tell you what, I will limit my daily alcohol intake. Providing I am not driving or causing any offence to anyone and as the afore mentioned "grown up and over 21" I will reasonably limit my daily intake to as much or as little as I bloody well feel like drinking.
Don't these people know the pressures, frustrations and (very) occasional need to celebrate that we Salmon Anglers are under?

I was going to give up smoking this year but I think I will give up recycling instead.

A very happy and possibly more sober New Year to you all and may all your casting practice be interrupted by Salmon. Bring it on!!
You live in Cider country dont you so you have nothing to worry about.
Isn't a pint of Cider part of your 5 a day? If you have 5 pints then even better. You can give up the veg!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Alcohol.jpg

My friend shared this on Facebook earlier. As far as I can tell, we'll all be OK as we were.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
It's OK for you! Now you've reached a certain age you get the extra woman's red wine allowance as described by the Chief Medical Officer on the Today programme this morning. :):)

However, I can't speak for your younger habits...

Happy Birthday.

JSO

Reaction score
You live in Cider country dont you so you have nothing to worry about.
Isn't a pint of Cider part of your 5 a day? If you have 5 pints then even better. You can give up the veg!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Quite correct Cider, as a fruit based product, is part of the 5 a day but must now be limited to 6 portions a week so I can't give up the veg
:rolleyes:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
It's OK for you! Now you've reached a certain age you get the extra woman's red wine allowance as described by the Chief Medical Officer on the Today programme this morning. :):)

However, I can't speak for your younger habits...

Happy Birthday.
Certain age! How very dare you... ;-)

Until recently, I was virtually teetotal. Normal service has resumed now, though I'm still happy to be the designated driver of the household. I don't *need* to drink to have a good time.

But I definitely need more gin than the new guidelines say I can have. Spoilsports.

Thanks for birthday wishes. x

unclealec

Reaction score
I have managed to rescue the situation by contacting all my teetotal friends and obtaining their alcohol allowances, so I can now continue at my modest but life-threatening( apparently) drinking speed.

Seriously - my present wife and myself had a family conference this morning and decided that as we are already too old to die young we are going to add this latest warning to the list containing eggs, cheese, butter, breathing, living in Manchester, driving, and the worst of all, fishing (apparently the UK pastime at which you are most likely to die).

Heero

Reaction score
I think Bukowski said it best: Find what you love and let it kill you.

Luckynotgood

Reaction score
Nice, coming from a bunch of MP's who have a subsidised bar in the houses of parliament. What worries me, is this report will have cost thousands, if not millions to compile!! How does it even become news worthy.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Just wait a few months for the next report saying that alcohol is actually not that bad for you and the limit has been increased.

Or compromise by having your 5 a day but washing it down with beer and wine !

apd13

Reaction score
Birthday

Certain age! How very dare you... ;-)

Until recently, I was virtually teetotal. Normal service has resumed now, though I'm still happy to be the designated driver of the household. I don't *need* to drink to have a good time.

But I definitely need more gin than the new guidelines say I can have. Spoilsports.

Thanks for birthday wishes. x
Happy Birthday!

NEbody

Reaction score
I like the graphs in post #3

As a male over a certain age, they seem to say that my relative risk increases with consumption if I drink once a week but doesn't change if I drink daily. I can see that being quite popular.

edmaudling

Reaction score
Apples and Pears

Just heard the recommendations have altered methodology.

They now use statistics that include harm by falling down on a Saturday Night (or any other night ). Injuries caused by drink driving, accidents in the home and suicides in fact anything where drink might be a factor.

TOSH........

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I like the graphs in post #3

As a male over a certain age, they seem to say that my relative risk increases with consumption if I drink once a week but doesn't change if I drink daily. I can see that being quite popular.
That was our conclusion too. It seemed to legitimise safely consuming 50 units a week, in fact. Brilliant.

Loxie

Reaction score
Everything in moderation I say, especially excess.

Chicharito

Reaction score
According to government guidelines I should have been dead years ago !!
I am going to enjoy extra units tonight just to spite them !!
Oh and I am going to gorge myself on butter as well because apparently that's ok now !!

Heero

Reaction score
Go hard or go home.
Ball to the wall.
Never surrender.
Take what you can and give nothing back.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Another take on it. They now say having ANY alcohol is not safe. So once you have had some, you might as well continue as you have already crossed the safety threshold.

I think I have interpreted that correctly ??

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Another take on it. They now say having ANY alcohol is not safe. So once you have had some, you might as well continue as you have already crossed the safety threshold.

I think I have interpreted that correctly ??
Yes. The chart backs that up. Once you've had one unit, you may as well have 50.

I don't think this is the message they wanted us to take out from the whole affair.

My friend is a statistician and data type. A professor. She had a look at the study, rubbished the methodology and data analysis, did her own crunching and is carrying on with her drinking every day ways. She'll take the additional 0.2% risk of death. Something has to kill you...

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
Exactly Sanfranfoer, you don't want to have a miserable extra two years on the end of your life having given up red wine, butter, whiskey, sausages, bacon, steak etc for the prior forty.....b&gger that.

Everything in moderation, occasionally have a few extra units on a special occasion ( birthday, weddings, christenings, New Years, Christmas, shoot dinners, fishing holidays, weekends - delete as applicable) as the relaxation and enjoyment will do wonders to de-stress.....

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Exactly Sanfranfoer, you don't want to have a miserable extra two years on the end of your life having given up red wine, butter, whiskey, sausages, bacon, steak etc for the prior forty.....b&gger that.

Everything in moderation, occasionally have a few extra units on a special occasion ( birthday, weddings, christenings, New Years, Christmas, shoot dinners, fishing holidays, weekends - delete as applicable) as the relaxation and enjoyment will do wonders to de-stress.....
Now that would be an interesting study. The positive effects of alcohol (de-stressing, enjoyment, relaxation) which probably increase lifespan expectation versus the marginal increase in death rate by consuming more alcohol. Won't hold my breath for that one though !:D

unclealec

Reaction score
I would say you are pretty well spot on with all of those LTAG. In my case anyway.
Maybe one more - I like beer.

Edited to say - that's odd; I replied to a post that isn't there any more! Let Them All Go was postulating on the reasons for drinking, or so I thought. Oh well; must be the drink.

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Never fully understood why people go and drink.
Is it because they need some sort of crutch?
Is it to make them behave or look like someone they want to be eg a comedian, handsome or attractive
Is it to enjoy themselves (quite possible to do that without alcohol)
Is it to make them self ill with a hangover?
Is it a macho thing?
Is it because you feel you have to and want to fit in?
Or is it just plain old habit and you do it without thinking?

Interesting thing is if you are asked by someone if you smoke and you say 'no' then no one gives it a second thought. If you are asked do you drink and you say 'no' then the reaction is completely different more often than not.
Nothing against drinking by the way. If you choose to do it then you have to accept the risks, just like smoking.
Looking at that list, I can think of some people who would fall into each category ! And some (possibly me?) who would have fallen into some of those categories in the past.
Now, I have a drink or two because I enjoy it, it is relaxing and normally enhances enjoyment of an occasion. I don't need to drink and can certainly have a good time without alcohol. But I would definitely not want to give it up. Or chocolate and sugar !