AIRS VARIVAS Shooting line

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Good Morning all,
I am after some running lines. I have a right mix of RIO and John Norris and Greys shooting lines. I am not a proficient enough caster to notice the difference, (but I will get there). What are peoples preferences on shooting lines, (MOno vs coated) and what are your opinions on the AIRS VARIVAS Shooting line?

Many thanks

JoeE

Reaction score
40lb amnesia monofilament at £4.50 for 100m on rods above 12ft, and the 30lb for rods below. Works brilliant and is cheap as chips

In saying that some chip shops are taking the mick!

Rennie

Reaction score
If as you say your proficiency levels aren't too good yet I'd sack any notion of mono running lines just yet.Coated is far more user friendly for those who are still finding their casting feet.There is a generally held notion mono running lines will allow you to cast further and easier, sorry to say thats not strictly true.What gives you distance and ease of use are your own personal casting skills and untill those are developed you'll honestly be better off with some form of coated running line. Norrises own brand 30lb coated running line is as good as any you will get and will give you exactly what you need, it'll float all week long ( some don't! ), its ready looped and you can rely on it 100%.
I've used Varivas and while it's ok, it never floats 100% and once it gets a kink or bad fankle it'll attract tangles like an open jam pot attracts wasp's.Expensive for what it is too.
If you're fixed on mono, then Amnesia is the stuff to use in 30lb or 40lb, really there's nowt out there thats any better.I've used Amnesia on my big heads for years now and I can thoroughly recommend it.
Pedro.

Icelander05

Reaction score
I'll have to admit that I am not a fan of mono lines at all and I mostly use the Airflo 50 lbs ridge. However recently I tried a Mono line from a friend, the Berkley Big Game Solar in 0m50 mm and I have change my mind about mono lines. No tangles and quite easy handling and by far better than Amnesia. And around 20,-- for 600 metres!
Icelander05

paddymc

Reaction score
I'll have to admit that I am not a fan of mono lines at all and I mostly use the Airflo 50 lbs ridge. However recently I tried a Mono line from a friend, the Berkley Big Game Solar in 0m50 mm and I have change my mind about mono lines. No tangles and quite easy handling and by far better than Amnesia. And around 20,-- for 600 metres!
Icelander05
Hi Icelander05,

is it 50lb breaking strain that you were using at 0.609mm, and what weight shooting heads were you using it with please?

Icelander05

Reaction score
I just got something off the reel that my buddy had. It is 0,50 mm diameter and I think bs is around 35 lbs. I have checked on the Pure Fishing site, the distributor over here and UK probably too. It comes from 0,30 up to 0,70 mm. Can't find the 0,50 any more but 0,48 and 0,55 which do have 33 and 44 lbs bs respectively. I would tend to buy the 0,55 which comes on 600 meter spools. Price over here 18,-- Euros. I do fish at times on the river Rhine where I do have almost no backspace. I tried now a Nextcast Coastal Head, about 3 Meters plus one of their 3 meter tips plus this monoline. This works brilliant and I can reach the spots now far easier and spots that I could not reach before. I'll have to admit that it is almost like spinning with a flyrod (11'3") in this case and a stripping basket would be helpful.
Icelander05