Airflo Ultraspey #9/10 kit 42 gram

Fons

Reaction score
I recently bought at the Garry Evans shop one of these "obsolete" kits including a airflo ridge running line, 2 separate shooting heads and 5 different tips. As not marked on the box, I have put them on my kitchen balance to have a better idea of tip weights :
Both heads were 35 gram
the floating tip was 9 gram
the intermediate tip = 8 gram
the brown sinktip (sink 3) = 7 gram
the grey sinktip (s6) = 11 gram
the black sinktip (S8) = 8 gram

1st of all; I'm surprised to see such great differences in weight between the different tips. I have 2 other kits (Loop and Guideline) where all tips have more or less the same grain weight.
2nd : When I combine my S6-tip with one of both heads I wil end at 46 gram and that is 10% above the 42 gram Airflo reference on the box.
3rd : from the 5 tips in my kit; there is only one (the brown one S3) matching with 42 gram reference of Airflo. The other 4 bring me above the 42 grams I had in mind for my Loop Cross S1 14 Ft.

Information of the kit is no longer available on the Airflo website and I can't find any info on internet. So I can not check if they sold me the "MONDAY" version of that kit :)). Did other ultraspey users have same kind of variety in tip weights? And if so; was there a need to shorten the tip length to reduce total weight?

As the kit is new and I still have the option of sending it back; I'am hesitating to test the kit on my rod.
Thanks
f

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Hi fons, I've never weighed the head or tips but I do occasionally still use the
ultraspey kit on the 13ft 6 sintrex, line fly's out and turns over fly's and heavy
tubes nicely, good bit of kit 👍

SteveG

Reaction score
Line weights make my head spin all I do know is that the Loop Cross S1 will handle quite a bit more weight than you expect and than it says on the tin, loads of power and a nice action

The 13 ft I have is rated #8 and I’ve used a Rio #8/9 on it and a gaelforce EIH #10 no bother 👍

Fons

Reaction score
In that case; I keep the kit. As soon as weather gets better; I will go out for some trials. Thx both for giving feedback