AIRFLO SCANDI LONG

paddymc

Reaction score
AD01E817-C8D4-4C9B-8A53-5E0001787328.png

Does anyone have any experience of the Airflo scandi long heads, specifically the 600 grain version ?

600 grains is almost 39g, which for me is a solid 9/10wt, but as you can see from the above chart, Airflo rate it 8/9.

Basically, I was wondering if these heads cast light for their grains or do they cast true to their grains ?

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I think they weigh correct, but the length and even taper means a wee bit of extra weight may be needed to load the rod compared with a shorter head.

I fish the 510 grain Scandi Long on a 12’4” Meiser CX 6-8. The weight is about spot on for me. As a reference I find the rod also works really well with a 480g Rage.

For my B&W 13,6” #8; I find the 540 grain Rage or 34g Gaelforce equaliser flies. For that rod, I’d be looking at the 570 grain Scandi Long.

Hope that helps

paddymc

Reaction score
I think they weigh correct, but the length and even taper means a wee bit of extra weight may be needed to load the rod compared with a shorter head.

I fish the 510 grain Scandi Long on a 12’4” Meiser CX 6-8. The weight is about spot on for me. As a reference I find the rod also works really well with a 480g Rage.

For my B&W 13,6” #8; I find the 540 grain Rage or 34g Gaelforce equaliser flies. For that rod, I’d be looking at the 570 grain Scandi Long.

Hope that helps
That makes sense to me. The longer head length, combined with a more level taper, would explain why they feel light.

Wonder why they only make the longer heads in the lighter weights, which suit the shorter rods, when the longer heads would suit a longer rod better ???

neilfly1

Reaction score
Had a play with one this afternoon, very Nice turnover with 14ft mono leader, very easy, smooth casting line, tight stable loops-will try it with few poly tips soon

paddymc

Reaction score
Had a play with one this afternoon, very Nice turnover with 14ft mono leader, very easy, smooth casting line, tight stable loops-will try it with few poly tips soon
Hi Neil, what rod were you using and what weight line had you on it please ?

neilfly1

Reaction score
Hi Neil, what rod were you using and what weight line had you on it please ?
Was sage igniter 14ft 9wt, and used the 600grain line, was lovely, expect the 570grain would be just as good.... maybe even nicer on that rod...especially with poly on the end..

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I use a 480 grain on a Loop Q 13'2" #8 with 10' polyleaders. Its a very easy casting setup with good presentation.

findie

Reaction score
Used the 600 grain with a 10ft sinking polyleader today on an oracle scandi 13ft 9 and it was really good, not too much stripping either. Also tried an airflo delta 2 at 590 grains 56ft head and a 540 grain rage, the scandi long was by far the best for this rod.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk