Airflo Nantec

T

TonyPrior

The Fishtec catalogue just arrived in the post. I see that Airflo are offering rods with 'nanotech'. Would this be the same as the nanotech used in the new Hardy and Loomis rods? At a quarter of the price of the Sintrix & NRX models, this seems too good to be true. It would be interesting have the opinion of anyone who's tried an Airflo Nantec double hander.

Jonsey

Reaction score
The Fishtec catalogue just arrived in the post. I see that Airflo are offering rods with 'nanotech'. Would this be the same as the nanotech used in the new Hardy and Loomis rods? At a quarter of the price of the Sintrix & NRX models, this seems too good to be true. It would be interesting have the opinion of anyone who's tried an Airflo Nantec double hander.

Give it 6 months and they will be an eighth of the price :rolleyes:

Eminem

Reaction score

Have wondered this myself and have come to the conclusion that its got to be pretty much the same stuff but without the marketing fluff and mega-price mark-up :rolleyes:

I'd certainly be up for trying one of the Airflo rods but currently not in the market for anything. :)

Jonsey

Reaction score
Have wondered this myself and have come to the conclusion that its got to be pretty much the same stuff but without the marketing fluff and mega-price mark-up :rolleyes:

I'd certainly be up for trying one of the Airflo rods but currently not in the market for anything. :)

I think its more likely that they are piggy backing the hype with the vague use of the buzz word 'Nano'.;)

T

TonyPrior

The Airflo advert says "utilising a unique 'low torsion' carbon blend and combining it with Nano technology...state of the art" etc. Pretty vague.

Not knowing much about rod blank-making, I would still tend to doubt that adding tiny silicon spheres to the resin would add quite as much to the cost as H & L are asking for their new rods. Once the R&D was done, perhaps Airflo did obtain some piggyback benefit. It would be interesting to have an expert comparing Sintrix, NRX and Airflo 'Nantec' rods.

Tyke

Reaction score
Or a comparison of any Loomis, Hardy & Airflo rods; should be enough to convince most people to keep saving for the L & H rods when they compare the number of rod sections of each rod before & after the tests!

[That should get a few "rises" to the fly!...still true though.....]

Regards, Tyke.

T

TonyPrior

Well, I seem to remember more than a couple of posts about L & H DH rods breaking, but I can't recall a single one about Airflo - perhaps nobody uses them because they are not good enough? :confused:;)

Tyke

Reaction score
The original Airflo Enigma's were good rods, they were on Diamaru blanks I believe, the same as many other pretty good rods of the time [the top end of the Normark range etc], but the cheap ones [at least the single handers as that was all I saw being used round here] used to have a mayfly's lifespan.
Undoubtedly they are very different now, probably come out of the same Chinese factory's as 90% of the rods out there, many of which probably cost a lot more; but I can't overcome my prejudice of those early ones going bang in mid cast [a bit like Hardy's mk1 Angels I suppose, they are still tarred with the reputation of those].

Regards, Tyke.

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Airflo switch new rod

Are these rods on the market yet the new switch nano tec 11ft3 were can you buy one cheers ;)

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Fishtec had them but out of stock till end of march 11ft3" 8# £159 looks a cracking rod very nice finish to it nice olive colour yip will give that a go for sure at that price :D

bankwheel

Reaction score
Just because it may or may not use " nano" does not make it a better rod, it's how it is made and to what design that will make it good or bad. Take the Shakey Oracle for example, it's cheap but is still a great rod as is my Loop Cross but it's 10 times the price.
I've tried the 13 footer Airflo, it was very well made with nice fittings etc, it had a pretty fast action, middle to tip, I would say, but it did cast a cracking line.

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Airflo switch 11' 3" 8#

Ordered one today from fishtec can't wait to get a throw with it got the last one they had free line also forty plus floater great value ;) arrived today it's a stunning rod very nicely finished love the feel of it am sure it going to be nice to cast ;)

Last edited:

ravenscraig

Reaction score
Airflo switch rod

Hi Greatwhite
Have you tried out this rod yet and if so how did you like it with the 40 +, I was thinking of ordering one myself !!
Stan

Last edited:

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Hi Greatwhite
Have you tried out this rod yet and if so how did you like it with the 40 +, I was thinking of ordering one myself !!
Stan

It's perfect the line suits it very well ,great feel to it also I like it very much am happy enough with it at that price

Last edited:

roders

Reaction score
I have the 13ft nantec. Its a light rod with a fast action that's more suited to shooting heads. Its certainly not using the 3M silica nano technology as the expensive rods like the sintrix and cross S1. I'm positive the nano business is just airflo marketing mumbo jumbo........ their latest lines have actually been pushed as being friction free!!
Regarding the 40+ lines for switch rods, I just don't get on with them..... And its hardly surprising when you look at the profile. I only spey cast and the lines just the wrong shape. Too much weight at the tip, and bottom of the D loop. For overhead its a great line though.

Rod

ravenscraig

Reaction score
It's perfect the line suits it very well ,great feel to it also I like it very much am happy enough with it at that price

Thats great
I have ordered a rod as well but have taken the Airflo skagit switch instead of the 40 + to see what like it is, I have already got a couple of the 40 + lines so hopefully the Skagit will be fine !!

lindsay_grant

Reaction score
Nano technology

Nano slica spheres are tiny carbon tubes that are used in conjuntction with standard cloths to increase the strength of a rod. This is done by using the nano particle as a binder to help retain two or more of the linear fibres together and by using this "binding effect" increase structural strength.

The traditional method of achieving this strength is by using a "scrim" which is usually fibre glass or carbon wrapped around the blank to increase "hoop" strength which the uni directional fibre does not have.

Nano spheres due to there tiny volume are better at getting into the cracks between the fibres, where as scrim is just general bulky material applied in sufficient quantity alongside, rather than inside the fibre to create the hoop strength required.

Due to the nano particile being able to get into all the right places, you get more strength and need less scrim, which has an effect on lightness and strength.

The Hardy Sintrix system uses a Nano Silica Matrix, which means they put the nanospheres in the glue and the inject them into the cloth, thereby getting them right inside the structural fibres. This technology is patented, although I don't know exaactly what the patent is for. The other way beside injecting the nanoshperes into the fibre as part of the glue, is to dusts the fibres into the cloth. I don't know, but I would guess the resin injection is superior.

Apart from the potential of making the rod lighter due to less scrim, there are no real performance benefits however, as the power in the rod comes from the recovery of the linear fibres, not the scrim! Using scrims or nano spheres, are merely to hold the linear "engine" fibres in the correct alignment by holding the shape of the hoop. Having said that, if the circular hoop of the rod deforms under load and "ovals", the now flatter shape does not provide the same potential recovery rate, much like a 1D structure is not as strong as a 3D structure, and the ultimate power potential of the blank is affected. Therefore, however you achieve it, hoop strength is important.

In short, is all this going to make a huge difference to my casting? Well not much, as it is the quality of the linear fibre that really counts, but it may make your rod a touch lighter.

If you really want performance, look for blanks with high modulus fibres ie 65msi or 65 ton in the mix and this is what really gives you the zip. Hope this helps.

roders

Reaction score
Nano slica spheres are tiny carbon tubes.

Forgive my ignorance, as you obviously know your onions, but how is a sphere a tube and how is carbon, C, called silica SiO2.
As I understood the technology, the nano (very small) particles if SiO2 act as a cross link between the carbon chains. Being spheres they distribute strain evenly in 3D, adding impact strength and rigidity. Too many and the composite is brittle (and actually much heavier, the atomic number of silicon is 14 plus oxygen 2), clumps or agglomerates of silica act as a flaw and a potential weak point.
I believe the patent is regarding the technique used to evenly distribute the SiO2 particles in the resin........... no doubt electrically and without doubt, not dusted.

Rod

lindsay_grant

Reaction score
Cross section of technologies

As you rightly point out silica and Carbon are different materials and it seems I have mixed up my technologies. I suspect that is the answer to what Hardy are doing differently and why they have had a patent granted, is they are using silica instead of carbon Nanotubes as the binder. Carbon nanotubes are used elsewhere is carbon construction and this is obviously something slightly different again.

The nano particles I was refering to based on previous reading on the subject are of carbon based technology and I believe the particle is an eliptical shaped tube used in the same way as hardy are using silica.

In regard of the rest of the posting I believe we are saying the same thing.

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the Airtec Switch in the 6 weight complete with the 6 weight 40+ line.Can any one tell me(even with any of the other Airtec Switch rods) does that line work with the rod in particular Spey casting rather than overheading,or do I have to go to an 8 weight line to work the rod Spey casting,as thats what I've heard.As I want the rod for lightweight Spey casting applications in low water I'd rather have a 6 weight rod n line as I've all ready an 8 weight set up.Cheers,Pedro.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the Airtec Switch in the 6 weight complete with the 6 weight 40+ line.Can any one tell me(even with any of the other Airtec Switch rods) does that line work with the rod in particular Spey casting rather than overheading,or do I have to go to an 8 weight line to work the rod Spey casting,as thats what I've heard.As I want the rod for lightweight Spey casting applications in low water I'd rather have a 6 weight rod n line as I've all ready an 8 weight set up.Cheers,Pedro.

Hi Pedro i suppose its down to how many hands you want to use in the cast,using single handed id say 1# rating up would be best(though iv never used the rod in question) for spey casting,if you want to use 2 hands im not sure the w/f line would be the best profile

Rennie

Reaction score
Got the 6 weight rod and a 7 weight 40+ line free with it.Used it last evening and its a perfect match.I took the liberty of ordering a Rage 450gr. as well and expected to be using that.So sweet was the outfit the Rage stayed in the bag!.It overheads,single and double spey's,and snaps equally well,used a tapered leader to fluro tippet and at the moment well impressed.Gives me the delicacy of presentation I'm looking for in low water.At first tried heaving it out,but it responds to a delicate touch and just allow it to work itself.Mucho pleased for t'brass.Pedro.