Airflo Airlite V2

KSAlmon

Reaction score
See this rod in switch size was on sale at £99.99. Anybody using it care to comment on its performance.
Thanks
KSAlmon

dave1959

Reaction score
Thinking of buying the switch model myself, but the marketing info suggests the 7 weight, (which i presume needs an 8 line) is not for salmon fishing. Has any one tried this model who can offer any feedback? Cheers.

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
dave1959,if you'd be happy to use say a 10ft 7 weight trout rod for Salmon in low water or close quarters then the 7 weight switch rod is no different at all.In fact I'd say it makes the job so much more easier as your water command improves greatly and the casting style you may well wish to employ opens up greatly and more effectively.
Now,I've the Airflo Nantec switch in a 6 weight, it came with a 7 weight Airflo 40+ floater.All those who handle it say,too soft, wont kill a fish, useless in a wind etc. etc.
Sorry,but all wrong.Its a great rod for low water, it knocks spots off a Salmon(I've had fish to 18lb on mine!) and is a bit of kit that actually makes a difference!
I look at it all this way, what do you want a switch rod for?-thats the primary question.If you want a 8 or 9 weight switch and already have a 13ft 8/9 rod or similar, then not much point, they're pretty much the same rod just another money spending exercise!.However buying a 6 or 7 weight switch(have you the need for one) could well be brass well spent for you.
Similarly if you only own a 15ft 10/11 rod, then a 8 or 9 weight switch again could be well spent brass in that it will do different things with lighter lines!
You need to sit down and ask your self what you actually want a switch rod for before you make any choice or lash the cash.
If you just want/need/have to have a switch rod then fair do's to you.If however you have a specific purpose for a switch, then fire away and the forum can certainly help!.
Happy switching,Pedro.

dave1959

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro. I have a 13ft 9 weight, but fancy something a bit lighter-less tiring, plus to fish smaller rivers. I fancy the airflo 8 weight but concerned it needs a heavier line than a eight, as then like you say, it wouldnt be worth buying a switch rod in the first place. Now youve got me thinking about an Airflo seven weight, especially if it doesnt need an 8 line to load it. Thanks again

dave