Airflo Airlite same blank as Guideline Lpxe?

Hibernicus

Reaction score
There have been a few comments over the last few months that the Airflo Airlite blank is the same as the Guideline Lpxe blank and I wonder whether anyone can confirm this with first hand knowledge?
I ask the question becasue I want to get myself a back-up rod in the sales and I see a few Airlites discounted at the moment (but I won't be able to try before I buy!).
Thanks.
H

Loop Tackle Design

Reaction score
LPXe blank

we doubt this very much sorry Sir

it may be made in the same factory that many rod brands who do not have their own factory use,

but Guideline like many other brands insist blanks are exclusive to the brand and brands spend many 1000's of £ on each blank design/mandrel machining.

just our honest opinion

Loop

bros

Reaction score
I have the 13ft airflo airlite fantastic rod, and as far as I am aware it is the same blank (different butt though)I compared it before I bought in glasgow angling centre and the blank looks identical, I also had tutition from Springer and the rod i used that day was 13ft Lpxe the airlite blank looked the same again.
If you are going to buy one check your reel is going to fit into the reel seat (quite a small fitting)
All in all a great buy at harris sportsmail and fishtec for about £169 Bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Thank you Loop - I don't suppose the blanks are exactly the same but perhaps very close. To copy is the sincerest form of flattery!

Bros, you say the blanks look the same but the Airlite butt is different. In what way were the butts different? When you cast Springer's Guideline 13 was it a three piece and did it feel/cast the same as your Airlite?
Thanks
H

bros

Reaction score
Hibernicus
The butt differences old design(Lpxe) and new design I would say, to me it made no difference both butts were fine the Lpxe was 3piece as was the Airlite.
I cast with the Lpxe (tutition) one day and bought the Airlite the next in store, so the rod was still fresh in my mind and I also compared the rod to a Lpxe (older style 3piece) in store too, can't tell you much more as I am not an expert in this field I can only give you my experiences that I have had and the rod is superb for the price
Hope this helps
Bobby:)

rodbender

Reaction score
lines

Hibernicus
The butt differences old design(Lpxe) and new design I would say, to me it made no difference both butts were fine the Lpxe was 3piece as was the Airlite.
I cast with the Lpxe (tutition) one day and bought the Airlite the next in store, so the rod was still fresh in my mind and I also compared the rod to a Lpxe (older style 3piece) in store too, can't tell you much more as I am not an expert in this field I can only give you my experiences that I have had and the rod is superb for the price
Hope this helps
Bobby:)
what lines work with the 13ft airlite do you know the head weight of the line you were using?

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Hi Rodbender,
You have been doing some searching - that post is 10 months ago now!
I seem to remember I never actually cast an Airlite. I did buy one but sent it back without ever putting a line on it.
The LPXe 13 is 8/9 and the recommended Guideline heads weigh is 30 -31 grams, and I assume therefore the 13' Airlite will likely suit the same head weight.
H

inco

Reaction score
I have the 13ft Airlite. Great rod. I too understand it to be the same blank as the LPXE 3 piece. I use the Scierra MWF 9/10 32 gram shooting head kit, plus Guideline power taper heads of the same weight.
The MWF kit is available from Garry Evans for £65.

bros

Reaction score
I like the Rio hover and floater 8/9 and 36g I think along with airflo tactical spey 8/9.
I like my lines a tad heavier though.

Bobby

roders

Reaction score
As a heads up for anyone wondering about the airlite, I bought one a while ago to see if it was the same blank.
Dads got the lpxe 8/9 3 piece and having cast them back to back on numerous occasions I'm confident in saying you wouldnt notice the difference in action at all!! I measured the sections with a vernier and they were near as damn it identical.
Both great rods but ones significantly cheaper........... with cheaper finish and fittings to go with it. but still great!!!
The scierra mwf v2 in 9/10 32g doesnt load the rods well. It will cast but its harder work than it should be.
Rio afs 8/9 floater is 34g and goes well but its a bit on the heavy side for me. The afs 8/9 float/inty (still 34g) was just too much for the rods, even with a very slow lift it was hard work to get up with a 5ips tip.
I've just bought a second hand 32g dtx g2 floater which I'll try and then update when I do (river looks good for tomorrow!!!!)
I know a chap who swears by the afs 7/8 at 30g, but I'v not had chance to try it for myself.
Trying many rods and many lines, I've found you cant just choose a line by head weight. Profiles and such jiggery pokery really mix it up. The rio afs has such a chunky back end, it really loads a rod more than its gram weight would suggest to me, and the opposite end of the scale is the mwf. With more weight lower down the line it'll turn over a heavier cast without loading the rod :confused:

Tight lines

Rod

roders

Reaction score
The G2 7/8 32 gram shooting head is superb!!!
A big dirty river and no back space, coupled with a 10ft 6ips rio poly and a 1" eumer shrimp conhead were a tad extreme but it did go out.

Rod