Afon/River Tywi 2020

Aled

Reaction score
A few of my mates have managed sewin, no luck for me yet! Some salmon caught and lost as well. Tight Lines. Aled

Mepps4me

Reaction score
I am not finding the fish at all at the moment despite fishing in good water conditions. June is usually one of the best months for me to catch sewin but this year it was zero. Unfortunately it seems to be getting more difficult every year.

Jonsey

Reaction score
Fished the weir pool at Nantgaredig on Carmarthen Amateur this evening and managed a 14lb salmon, on a size 11 black stoats tail shrimp. Epic fight. I’m not seeing many fish.
Well done on the fish, I fished there the other day for the first time in years and was surprised at how much it had changed. Used to be a real hotspot for me back in the day. Like others, I’m really struggling to find fish this year despite the nice water.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Found the below salmon dead at Whitemill this morning. It was fresh run and about 6lb in weight

It had one obvious injury, it had been deeply hooked by someone worming.

There are anglers insisting on fishing worm in notorious salmon lies on the river. Every time I go to Whitemill, there are anglers worming the head of the gravells and the railway pool. There are even deckchairs at the head of the gravells, anglers sit there watching the salmon jumping, insist on fishing worm, but argue they are not worming for salmon! It’s a joke.

Attachments

Mepps4me

Reaction score
I have seen them as well Sewinboy. To be honest, what I am most surprised about is that you have found the fish at all. I would have expected it to be in someones boot.
While worming is allowed for sewin and trout, this will unfortunately continue to happen. Llandysul Angling club has banned bait fishing on all its beats to prevent incidents like this. I enjoy fishing a small running worm for sewin myself and tightening up as soon as I feel a bite, but while people allow fish to swallow the bait and become deeply hooked I am afraid that NRW will impose a total ban on worming, spoiling it for all of us.
Also, by the end of the year, I am sure that there will be far more 6lb sewin caught than usual !!
Well done on your Weir salmon as well.

Jonsey

Reaction score
I have a new PB salmon on the fly, about 16-17lb. Saw another 40 fresh run salmon move. Full floater with a size 13 shrimp fly.
Da iawn! A cracking fish for the Tywi. That must have been some sight too. Don’t think I’ve seen 40 salmon jump all together in the last 10 years, let alone 1 mornings fishing!

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words.

I think a really good run of fish went through the lower Towy towards the end of last week and over the weekend. A friend fished Whitemill on Saturday saw around 100 salmon, he caught one and lost another. Several people worming caught 2 salmon each. Of course, I just had to get out on the river on Sunday, and I saw an easy 40 really fresh run salmon on the Sunday morning. The one I caught was really fresh run. With today’s rain, they could now be anywhere.

Mepps4me

Reaction score
Well done again - surely it is time to change your forum name from SEWINboy !!!. I think we met yesterday as you were releasing the fish, I spoke to you from the other bank. It is nice to be able to put a face to a name.

Aled

Reaction score
well done those of you who have caught, ....yours truly is trying hard to catch a sewin, and ......i'm not catching any but (and this is the worst bit) i'm not seeing any sewin move at all!
Tight Lines
Aled

Mepps4me

Reaction score
Aled,
I am hearing reports that there is a good head of sewin in the Llandeilo area, these must have passed through the lower river to get there. However I hear of a lot of salmon being caught from lower river but very few sewin. Just does not make sense unless the sewin flew through the lower beats. Although I have caught two grilse I have only landed one very small sewin from the Tywi despite fishing for them in good river conditions.
I enjoy fishing the Gwili, and know where I can intercept them when they are in the river, but this year I have only managed to find two despite a lot of effort again. Frustrating.

Jonsey

Reaction score
well done those of you who have caught, ....yours truly is trying hard to catch a sewin, and ......i'm not catching any but (and this is the worst bit) i'm not seeing any sewin move at all!
Tight Lines
Aled
Aled, you’re not alone. On the back of others success I’m off to the river full of hope, but come away increasingly despondent! Not seeing the salmon and sewin others are..I was briefly in awe of a massive bow wave heading towards me at the bottom of the Cystanog beat this morning only for it to turn out to be a big seal. On the positive sign, it must have been chasing something..

jamjar

Reaction score
Hi folks

please could anyone tell me if it’s worth swinging a fly on the lower tywi in lower water?Am thinking of getting a day ticket on caaa or cross hands water, to explore, more than in expectation of hooking up.

thanks
Jim

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Hi Jim

I have been a member of both clubs for some 14 years or so. CAAA has more water than Cross Hands on the lower Towy. Furthermore, CAAA also has more water suitable to the fly on the lower Towy. The river is now at summer low, so if you strictly want to explore, now is the time to do it. Should you want to maximise your chance of catching, wait until we have some rain and the river has lifted.

jamjar

Reaction score
Hi Jim

I have been a member of both clubs for some 14 years or so. CAAA has more water than Cross Hands on the lower Towy. Furthermore, CAAA also has more water suitable to the fly on the lower Towy. The river is now at summer low, so if you strictly want to explore, now is the time to do it. Should you want to maximise your chance of catching, wait until we have some rain and the river has lifted.
thanks for responding Sewinboy, pm sent 👍

Aled

Reaction score
Something to report at last, saw a few fish move last night, and managed one of around 2.5lb lost another and had a few takes.
Black red and silver tube, on Llandeilo water.
Tight Lines
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Something to report at last, saw a few fish move last night, and managed one of around 2.5lb lost another and had a few takes.
Black red and silver tube, on Llandeilo water.
Tight Lines
Aled
Ah, he is still with us.
Hadnt seen any posts from you for a while.
Thought you'd done a bunk.
Did pm you.
Hopefully some rugby to discuss before too long besides the fishing.