Afon/River Tywi 2020

Aled

Reaction score
Well with opening day less than a month away I thought it was time to open a new Tywi thread.

Llandeilo Angling Association has a few vacancies for the forthcoming season, and for this year only there will be no joining fee of £50. Permit fee is £100. So if anybody is interested in joining please email Llandeiloangling@gmail.com including your full name and postal address.

Things will be different in Wales this year, but hopefully the pleasure of being on the river and enjoying our fishing has not diminished.
Tight Lines
Aled

Last edited:

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Hi Aled

I haven’t received my Llandeilo Angling renewal yet. Do I need to chase this up? Also 2 mates emailed the above mentioned address during last season to join this coming season and they haven’t heard anything either. Could you please advise.

Thanks buddy

Aled

Reaction score
Sorry Sewin boy missed your post. Have you and your mates heard back yet? PM me if you haven't.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

Reaction score
Today is River Tywi's opening day, sadly due to Coronavirus the car parks will be empty. After visiting many clubs Facebook pages in recent days I can confirm that most clubs in the Tywi valley, are asking anglers to observe current Government guidelines. I would like to make a plea for those of you who read this thread to do the same.
Hopefully we will be back on the river at some point this season.
Best wishes
Aled

Last edited:

sewinfly

Reaction score
Have the coracle s been fishing at all, not sure when their season begins and ends.

Sewinfly..........

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
Have the coracle s been fishing at all, not sure when their season begins and ends.

Sewinfly..........
They will be out Thursday night for the first time. Hope it rains before then and is really windy that night.:cool:

Aled

Reaction score
Hello All
Angling Cymru have released a comment on Facebook with regards to the reintroduction of angling. Sadly I cant access Facebook properly at the moment, so I cant give you the details!
Tight Lines
Aled

Mepps4me

Reaction score
Just seen cars in a Tywi fishing club car park and two fishermen static worming - inches apart, obviously a well known hot spot !!! Are we allowed to drive to the river? I thought not but not sure.

Sewinboy

Reaction score

Oscar

Reaction score
The rules are as follows:

Welsh Government allow angling in Wales as part of your daily exercise. You should:
  • fish within your local area
  • follow social distancing guidelines an stay at home guidance from the Welsh Government
  • have a valid fishing rod licence
  • adhere to fisheries byelaws including the close season
  • have permission from the fishery owner
You should not travel to Wales from England for the purpose of angling“

I don’t believe you can drive to get to get to the river
I read that as you can definitely drive to fishing in your local area. Very ambiguous and open to interpretation.

Oscar.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
The Angling Trust does say you can drive, but it must be to your nearest venue, and you must have mobility issues, or too much tackle to carry, and/or if you are elderly, etc. Their advice can be viewed below. The fifth paragraph is the most relevant:

“Our continued efforts to lobby Welsh Government to allow safe, sensible driving to go fishing have been rewarded.

After an update from Welsh Government and Natural Resources Wales, we can confirm that driving to fish within Wales is now possible – but it must be local and follow the guidance laid out on the Welsh Government website.

This is fantastic news for Welsh anglers, whom for many, their mental and physical wellbeing depends on being able to enjoy fishing in the outdoors, as an exercise and as a pastime.

Following our continued efforts for limited driving to fish, and for parity with anglers in England, our letter was quickly acknowledged by two Welsh Government departments.

Our letter put forward the case that driving short, local distances would be essential for anglers with mobility issues, the elderly, disabled, and for certain types of angling, that in some case require more tackle to be carried, and of course for those not lucky enough to live within walking distance of a suitable venue.

Following us taking up this issue directly, the Welsh Government has made the sensible decision to change their stance, therefore driving short, local distances to fish is now possible in Wales.

We would like to point out that Wales is still in lockdown and social distancing regulations must be respected at all times.

It is extremely important that anglers in Wales follow the Welsh Government regulations, which can be found here.

These must be strictly adhered to at all times.

Welsh Government body National Resources Wales have also laid out clear guidelines, specifically for anglers. You can read them here.

We would ask all anglers in Wales to act responsibly - local angling means going to the nearest suitable venue, using common sense. Travel for exercise is not unlimited in Wales, unlike in England. Please do not travel from Wales to fish in England and vice versa.

In the case of freshwater angling you must check that the angling club or fishery has decided to re-open before fishing. Some may choose not to, please respect their wishes. This is particularly important in rural areas, where landowners and local residents have to be considered.

We also advise anglers to ensure their NRW rod licences are up-to-date before fishing. These can be ordered online

We recommend anglers follow the Angling Trust guidelines, which lay out a clear, safe framework for Angling to take place, as it does in England“.

Thanks for the link Night Hawk.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Lower Towy is 30cm below summer low, with suspended algae throughout the water column. Every cast you would make would result in gunge on your line. Even if we could go fishing, it would be a waste of time until we get good bit of rain.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Well done Sewinboy.
Great fish 👍
On a single hander ?
was the river low.

Sewinfly. ..............

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Thanks Sewinfly. It was on a single hander, a brand new one, so it was a good way to christen the rod 😂. The river is back up to summer level, which goes to show how low it was! The water was quite dirty, and it needs a good prolonged spate to clean the river out. I couldn’t believe my luck with this fish this morning. I have been very lucky.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Heard of 3 double figure salmon caught on the bottom river today. I caught a big fat zero. But I will try again tomorrow 😂😂😂

Mepps4me

Reaction score
Seems to be some fish around. I had a good solid pull at Nantgaredig a few days ago, heard of two double figured salmon from middle river yesterday, and last night a "decent sized fish" hooked on fly but lost after a short fight on lower river. I also hooked /caught a 4lb to 5lb grilse while spinning which self released as it was being beached. Considering the good water at the moment there does not seem to be a lot of fishermen around ?

Aled

Reaction score
A few sewin caught recently, all by local anglers.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Reaction score
As of Monday the 6th of July, you may travel further than 5 miles in Wales, therefore we expect some anglers from further afield to fish Llandeilo club waters, the club would like you to follow the advice and rules below please:

IF YOU HAVE COVID-19 SYMPTOMS
Do not leave home if you have symptoms of Covid-19 and follow Government advice on self-isolation.

GETTING TO YOUR FISHING VENUE
You should travel to fishing venues on your own or with members of your household – abide by current guidelines on social distancing whilst fishing. Do not share cars with other anglers, unless you live in the same house.

PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE
Use hand sanitiser before and after touching locks, gates etc. Please carry a small bottle in your fishing jacket.

MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING
Maintain a distance of at least 2 metres from other people (unless members of your household) in line with government guidance.

NIGHT FISHING
Night fishing is allowed but overnight stays are not, go night fishing, then when you finish night fishing please return home. No sleeping in cars, vans, caravanettes etc in club car parks.

FOLLOW TRAVEL GUIDELINES
Only travel based on what is allowed under current Government guidelines.

Ensure that you have a Natural Resources Wales licence, and that you carry this and your Llandeilo permit with at all times whilst you fish.

Finally the Glantywi Farm parking space is still closed, the yard is a family home so please park elsewhere.

Tight Lines Aled