Aesthetics

bkupris

Reaction score
Do you care about the colour of your rod? :eek::lol:. I miss the old brownish carbon rods. Why are "most" modern rods boring carbon black? I don't mind the "greenish" ones but my favourites are the Sage and Oracle XT etc. "brownish" coloured ones. Do you have an opinion on this?

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Many rods on today's market are often a dull mat black which I find helps cut down on glare from the rod on bright days,

But what the rod does as a casting tool then while playing a fish are more important factors in choosing a rod, bling isn't the top of my priorities

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly I appreciate the new rods being basic black or close to it. Long ago (late 60's through 1970's) I had brown glass and yellow glass and in 79 I got a black graphite from Orvis. Still have and use that rod so I'm used to black. I tried one of those Sage VT-2 rods about ten years back, remember them, bright metallic blue ……. I couldn't get used to that.

But hey, if you like colors that's cool with me :)

playhappy

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t want a turbo blue rod. dark green or black - just fine. When I saw the red sage rods….. not only were they priced out of my league, but I couldn’t get past the colour…

In the 70's & 80's Bruce & Walker and Hardy must have bought a load of brown paint - they cornered the market in brown rods. You can see why newer rod makers felt the need to jazz it up a bit from care home brown to a more Miami vice image

They also spiced up the image of the bloke on the end of the rod, out went elmer fud in his deer stalker and wax jacket and in came George Clinton in his funkadelic sequin thigh length boots, bare chest and outrageous glasses stalking up the water ways letting the fashion funk flow through the catalogues…………… no….. hang on that didn’t happen……..

What happened was……. We all bought baseball caps, like the pro’s

Great thread – aesthetics in angling is fascinating – for me the biggest change has come from photography, from the action shot to the trophy shot – it’s a whole new ball game. A photo was a rare thing and usually a spontaneous record of a prise catch. Now we contrive to make every moment seem special as we worry about how they will be perceived.

scoops

Reaction score
I’ve a marksman 2T in the traditional green, then the Jet has a modern silver blank, think both look good, but more importantly they cast well

Rrrr

Reaction score
I prefer the matt black rods to be honest as you can use black electrical tape and it dosent look out of place.
Ive got a shakey agility in light blue and that looks ok but would prefer it black.
Reels on the other hand.... the new coloured hardy cascapedias look really nice and wouldnt mind one of those if i had a rod they would suit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

fixedspool

Reaction score
Fish won't mind the colour will they. That's all that matters. Hope that's all you have to worry about for heavens sake,:doh:

Loxie

Reaction score
I like a bit of brown. Diamura blanks are my favourite but also Sage Graphite 111e. Carbotec, enigma and sage SLT are all perfect fishing rods for me.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Black, brown, green and blue. Had them all. The one thing i will say though, all in muted hues.
Wouldnt want anything bright.
Charcoal gray would probably be my first choice, but I've had blue and green grays and various reddy brown rods (probably my second choice) including a 15ft enigma.

Rennie

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a rod because it was a specific colour, however I would reject a rod if the colour were too garish.The Sage Methods and TCX would take some thinking about were I looking to purchase such a rod.The Loop/LTS Yellow-er N.F.C, right from the off thats an off-putting colour if ever there were one!,well alongside those Pink B+W rods!.
However,I'd certainly think about some reels in the way they look as a part of a purchase.That Greys GTS reel-it's had a reet good smack off the ugly stick, so did the Airflo balance too.I've a Hardy MK.1 Swift which is in no way easy on the eye at all!.Then there's the current trend for very busily designed aesthetically complicated reels, mmmm design for the sake of it all?
Pedro.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
I am not too bothered about the colour of a rod. I have an LTS explosive in yellow and it’s a lovely rod and I don’t mind the colour at all. I also have several Sage TCX switch rods which are very green which again I don’t mind as they are brilliant rods. That said I do have some nice black sage rods and also a sage igniter which is a dark maroon and looks very classy.

charlieH

Reaction score
The plainer the better for me too. I'm really not that bothered by the aesthetics of a rod, provided it's not too flashy - when I'm on the river I prefer to blend into the scenery, not stand out from it. So grey, brown, green, and even blue are all OK, provided they're dark shades. Black is obviously fine as well. I don't need a flashy reel seat made from some exotic wood from a tropical rain forest either; a Fuji fitting (as used on B&W Norways, for example) holds the reel at least as securely as anything else, and that's all I ask. So far as I'm concerned, a fishing rod is a tool to do a job, not a status symbol or a piece of male jewellery.

squimp

Reaction score
LTS yellow - garish, but the rod works so no problem.

The colour reminds me of my first decent float fishing rod bought in 1970 - a Modern Arms Zephreyne.

Loxie

Reaction score
The plainer the better for me too. I'm really not that bothered by the aesthetics of a rod, provided it's not too flashy - when I'm on the river I prefer to blend into the scenery, not stand out from it. So grey, brown, green, and even blue are all OK, provided they're dark shades. Black is obviously fine as well. I don't need a flashy reel seat made from some exotic wood from a tropical rain forest either; a Fuji fitting (as used on B&W Norways, for example) holds the reel at least as securely as anything else, and that's all I ask. So far as I'm concerned, a fishing rod is a tool to do a job, not a status symbol or a piece of male jewellery.
That's the crux of it.

Mind the tackle trade won't thank you!

Walleye

Reaction score
I always thought camo would be the best colour for everything. Camo rods, reels, coats, waders, hats, face paint, the lot. Walking around in block colours is not the best really if you want to catch more fish. I thought the best colour for a rod was camo bottom half, white top half as, if we all do our job well, the fish should only see part of the top half of the rod above any skyline.

But camo looks really **** so I guess we all favour aesthetics above function. Is it a fashion thing? I never see fly fishermen wearing serious camo gear yet it seems like the right thing to do.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I always thought camo would be the best colour for everything. Camo rods, reels, coats, waders, hats, face paint, the lot. Walking around in block colours is not the best really if you want to catch more fish. I thought the best colour for a rod was camo bottom half, white top half as, if we all do our job well, the fish should only see part of the top half of the rod above any skyline.

But camo looks really **** so I guess we all favour aesthetics above function. Is it a fashion thing? I never see fly fishermen wearing serious camo gear yet it seems like the right thing to do.
I think you may be thinking of carp anglers, everything camo even down to shoes, then launch a lead 150 yards and wait for a beep.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lurig

Reaction score
I prefer if the Rod has a Matt blank & the whippings varnish is not overly shiny however tackle manufacturers tend to add the bling to rods.

Loxie

Reaction score

Of course you don't see them, that's the whole point!!

Many years ago I used to do a fair bit of summer stalking of salmon with a freelined shrimp. I used to wear camo for that.

fixedspool

Reaction score
Of course you don't see them, that's the whole point!!

Many years ago I used to do a fair bit of summer stalking of salmon with a freelined shrimp. I used to wear camo for that.

Don't doubt it for a moment.:focus:

pellinore

Reaction score
Cork is a material which is underrated. Apart from the odd wall covering I've never seen cork used in anything other than wine bottles and pin boards. Yet it is a beautiful material. Not sure about the modern trend of burnished cork rings but each to their own. Light cork with nickel silver floats my boat.