Advice

minitube

Reaction score
A guest at Delphi told me a story about a Scottish Ghillie and an American visitor.

The Scottish Ghillie was on a beat of one of the Classic Rivers. Most visitors there knew how to salmon fish, they were regulars or experienced and he would not usually suffer much outside of that. An American was going to some European business convention that lasted only a couple of days, it was in London. As he was known to fly fish, the organisers of the convention decided to book three days salmon fishing for him to extend his trip and make it more worthwhile for him to visit the U.K..

The American arrived on the Scottish beat and met the Ghillie there. The Ghillie walked him along the beat, he showed him the top boundary and the bottom boundary, and on the way between he explained the good pools and salmon lies to him. The Ghillie then wished him well and started to head off. The American said to him, “is that it? Have you no other tips or advice for me?"

The Ghillie said, I have, “don't wear brown shoes with blue trousers,” and headed off.

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Surely it's black shoes you don't wear with blue trousers...?

He lost all authority for me right there... ;-)

MicklemusH

Reaction score
I once remember asking an efficient fly fisher who could Spay cast in an admirable manner. What colour fly did that fish rise to Peter? You don't give a bugger about fly colour Mick as it happens it was an orange fly but any bloody colour will do.
That American fisher would not do badly to match his fly with his shoe colour if they were brown would he? Or maybe if he matched his fly colour with his trousers and very much so if it was a bright day, that would have been a bit of good advice !

Then again Brown would do with perhaps a bit of Blue in it? Or Blue with a bit of brown in it? All the above is interesting so long as he did not wear a great big white cowboy hat.

Last edited: