Advice please

Nath

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at a few beats for early November and wanted some advice please. I know what the fishing is like then, so know there won’t be any fresh fish etc etc.

I am looking at the following beats, Nest, Holylee, Traquair, Elibank and Glenormiston. I want 2 days, one day on each beat. So do people have any opinions on these please? Never fished any so a bit hard to make a call..

thanks in advance

Oscar

Reaction score
Only fished Glenormiston of those, and it’s a nice beat and used to have a nice ghillie. Can’t recall his name.

Holylee looks nice from pics, and Nest I think marches with Ashiestiel which I have fished. It also looks a nice bit of fishing.

Elibank of the forum should be able to help!

Oscar.

westie4566

Reaction score
I've fished Cardrona once back in November 2012. Would definitely do it again. (It's a bit of a roadtrip for a day)

I was still in the blase days of fishing then, so when a good fish took in the Nutwood I just let it take as much line off the reel as it wanted before lifting into it. Regret that now as I lifted into nowt :ROFLMAO:

Wherever you end up Nath, tight lines and have fun.(y)

lax0341

Reaction score
I fished Nest, Holylee, Traquair and Glenormiston. Would apt for Traquair and Holylee , other you‘ll have really high water, than Glenormiston could be the best choice. Caught fish in Traquair, Holylee and Nest.

Rennie

Reaction score
Nest for the Gullet- fish city Arizona!, Holylee for Jack Melrose- nicest Ghillie in the world, fish those two!.Traquair -needs water, will fish better (?) middle of month onward as will Glenormiston above it.
Be aware, it's not just fresh fish in short supply!, expect to struggle for any fish.
Pedro.

tenet

Reaction score
Concur with Rennie re Jack Melrose on Holylee, lovely man and looks after his rods. Caught a high teens freshish salmon at the top of the beat the same year Kingfisher and the late Tweedbunnet fished it. Will try and dig out a picture.

Nath

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info guys, seems like cardrona and horsbrough get universal praise. Do they have syndicate rods on there as well as the 6 days rods potentially each side? As they are opposite aren’t they?
So is Traquair and Glenormiston high water beats to get the best out of them? And what would you say that is?

Thanks

Nath

Reaction score
I've fished Cardrona once back in November 2012. Would definitely do it again. (It's a bit of a roadtrip for a day)

I was still in the blase days of fishing then, so when a good fish took in the Nutwood I just let it take as much line off the reel as it wanted before lifting into it. Regret that now as I lifted into nowt :ROFLMAO:

Wherever you end up Nath, tight lines and have fun.(y)
Thanks very much mate will report back on here what I decide and how I fair…

Nath

Reaction score
See very little about Elibank, is it just underfished compared to others? Or poor access or ???

marty31

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info guys, seems like cardrona and horsbrough get universal praise. Do they have syndicate rods on there as well as the 6 days rods potentially each side? As they are opposite aren’t they?
So is Traquair and Glenormiston high water beats to get the best out of them? And what would you say that is?

Thanks
Think you need water for all of them nath, 1ft or 1ft 2 on fishpal is low up there 18 - 20 inches is good and a bit colour the tails of the pools fish well! First wk in November was our favourite, but nowadays???

Birkin

Reaction score
My friend had two days last week, Tuesday and Thursday, on Holylee and lost two salmon and landed one salmon and two sea trout. One sea trout was 9lb and the salmon was in the teens and still silver. Jack Melrose is a really good gillie who looks after his rods.
Fished Nest last October for three days with my friend. I lost two and my friend landed two from the pool above the bridge on our last day. We left at 4.00pm and another rod fish the pool and landed two more.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score

Thanks
Horsbrugh fishes 6 rods as does Cardrona but Cardrona only advertises 2 rods each day. The rest are reserved for the owners or their guests.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
18 inches on the gauge at Peebles is good.
18” is certainly a perfect height for us but not always essential, as last Saturday we had 12 fish with the level at 7”. However we had very warm temps for several days before and the fish had gone off. The temp dropped on Thursday night, with ice on the car window on Friday morning, it was horribly bright during the day and we had 2 fish. The Saturday was again cold but nice and overcast all day and the fish switched on. Fish were caught from the top to the bottom of the beat.
So far this season the temp has been more important than the levels. We have had good water earlier this month with not a lot of fish showing but it was unseasonably warm. Our best catches so far have been on the colder days. However, by November the temp should not be a problem and water level is more likely to influence things.

Sawyer

Reaction score
I fished Traquair 14/15/16 Oct this year with my 2 lads, lovely best to fish but we needed more water (according to the other rods & gillie 12” @ Peebles is good). The water meant the fish were concentrated in the deeper pools & unfortunately appeared to lie on the opposite side of the main current to the “fishing” bank. It was however a very easy beat to fish & I ended up using my Switch rod most of the time. Access good to beat 1 & 2 with only 3 necessitating parking & walking perhaps 800yds. The other rods with us stayed on the fish Fairnilee on the Mon & Tue, they really rated the gillie there.
FWIW there were an awful lot of fish in Traquair & they were not shy in showing, as said above the Friday was bright sunshine & warm after the frost lifted, but once the temp dropped on Sat the fish were more inclined to take.
We enjoyed Traquair so much that we will book again for next year, but probably make a week of it & add another beat or two in.

Elibank

Reaction score
I fished Traquair 14/15/16 Oct this year with my 2 lads, lovely best to fish but we needed more water (according to the other rods & gillie 12” @ Peebles is good). The water meant the fish were concentrated in the deeper pools & unfortunately appeared to lie on the opposite side of the main current to the “fishing” bank. It was however a very easy beat to fish & I ended up using my Switch rod most of the time. Access good to beat 1 & 2 with only 3 necessitating parking & walking perhaps 800yds. The other rods with us stayed on the fish Fairnilee on the Mon & Tue, they really rated the gillie there.
FWIW there were an awful lot of fish in Traquair & they were not shy in showing, as said above the Friday was bright sunshine & warm after the frost lifted, but once the temp dropped on Sat the fish were more inclined to take.
We enjoyed Traquair so much that we will book again for next year, but probably make a week of it & add another beat or two in.
Look at Holylee mate, nice beat, good parking, good ghillie, and very sophisticated neighbours on the opposite bank……😁

Sawyer

Reaction score
We will have to check availability, the 3 of us want to fish together which rules out a few beats. Assume the “friendly neighbours” don’t take umbrage at the odd cast over onto their water 😉

marty31

Reaction score
18” is certainly a perfect height for us but not always essential, as last Saturday we had 12 fish with the level at 7”. However we had very warm temps for several days before and the fish had gone off. The temp dropped on Thursday night, with ice on the car window on Friday morning, it was horribly bright during the day and we had 2 fish. The Saturday was again cold but nice and overcast all day and the fish switched on. Fish were caught from the top to the bottom of the beat.
So far this season the temp has been more important than the levels. We have had good water earlier this month with not a lot of fish showing but it was unseasonably warm. Our best catches so far have been on the colder days. However, by November the temp should not be a problem and water level is more likely to influence things.

Been wracking my brain trying to remember who fished opposite Holylee. He wrote some superb articles about his own (?) beat.
Was it "scrogg bank" could the one and only "bill currie" not own it??

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
Concur with Tenet re Jack Melrose on Holylee, lovely man and looks after his rods. Caught a high teens freshish salmon at the top of the beat the same year Kingfisher and the late Tweedbunnet fished it. Will try and dig out a picture.
I can concur as I lost a fresh ish looking salmon at the net that Jack was holding for me.
Alistair (TweedBunnet) was a lovely guy whom introduced me to Holylee, as was Jack in his role as a part time Ghillie.