advice on tube fly casting

Stuart1108

Reaction score
fishing a small spate river quite over grown so use the roll cast im fishing a 11ft 7 wt rod full float line 9ft leader and a tube fly. Line seems to hit the water before the fly which is in air for a few more seconds and takes time to straightn out to get the fly fishing just doesn't look smooth if you know what I mean any advice

D

Deleted member 11237

I think you are describing what happens when spey casting a heavy fly on a light line with too long a leader.

You could try shortening your leader, using a line designed to cast heavier flies or use a lighter fly, or go up in line rating to a #8 rod.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
This is a common problem with weighted tubes (which is what I assume you may be using here) and also with larger bushily-dressed tubes with high wind resistance. Both will lag a light leader in flight, because it doesn't transfer enough of the line's energy to achieve a full turn over.

What follows is based on the assumption that you are not using a multi-tip line system.

The first guiding principle is to add weight to the leader before you add it to the fly. So if you wish to get deeper your first recourse should be to a sinking polyleader rather than a weighted tube.

The second is to keep the weight of the leader and weight/wind resistance of your fly in balance. A weighted tube will require a heavier leader to transfer energy and turn it over, so you may be looking at a 10' fast or very fast polyleader. Similarly a bushily dressed tube will ride higher in the water by virtue of the 'lift' generated by its bulk, so you will need a heavier polyleader to get down to where you want it to be fishing. In both cases, with an 11' rod, you would only want a foot or so of monofilament added to the end of the polyleader. If required you can adjust that by stripping off some of the polyleader's cladding with a thumbnail and shortening the nylon core.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
shorten your leader to as much as 2.5 ft, that’s the really simple answer. If it’s a small narrow water it’ll get your tube fishing straight away hard into the other bank and that’s what counts and It’ll be easier turnover. With a single hander If fishing full floater then approx 8ft nylon is sufficient. If you want to get down a little, then Trout polys in 5/8 ft are perfect for the job but fish with a shorter leader. You could also purchase an intermediate or sink tip line which you might find better. Also being discussed in another thread is fishing with a dropper, on these small waters and the swing of the fly being short and recasts often, double your chance of a take and fish 2 flies if a full floater, sink tip stick to your one tubes / flies etc. Good luck

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Thanks I had a allys shrimp on and was fishing fine then wanted to get down a bit so put a tube on and was just not casting well atall

rotenone

Reaction score
many lines even with polyleaders or shortened leaders have too fine a taper for casting heavy tubes comfortably, a simple thing is just to but a line that will do the job like that has a more a aggressive taper

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
To all intents and purposes, a 7 weight line isn't the best tool for casting weighted tubes!.Far better with an 8 weight + for anything with weight to it! as there like as not won't be any mass in the tip of the line to move the tube efficiently.I hasten to add the 7 weight line is right on the fence for doing this.Salmon polys won't be ideal on a 7 weight either, you'll probably have to consider Trout polys for the line to cast and turn them over properly.
Also 5ft polys will do little other than prevent your flee from skating, you'll never get any real depth from them!.
If generally you like the outfit then try thinking along the lines of slimmer flys to allow them to get that bit deeper.Greys of Kilsyth Needle tubes are a lot slimmer, slightly weighted, use them when sparsely dressed and a trout poly, should get you deeper.
Also, what I do on my 7 weight switch rod is a 1/2" copper tube, but dressed longer or a plaggy tube with a smaller tungsten cone, I try and look for the weight my 7 weight WILL cast ok.
Having said that I cheat and grab my 8 weight switch, that does the job just fine!.
Pedro.