Absent members

Hemmy

Reaction score
Postings on another thread about absent members got me thinking about the meaning of "membership" of a forum like this (yes I am clearly bored this morning as I await the effects of last nights alcohol diminishing).
How many members are there?.......over 13000 according to the info.

Take a look at todays 'birthdays section".......the eldest and the youngest both joined in 2009 and have not participated in any form of forum activity since the month they joined.

Upon picking names at random from the membership list there are many who are dormant and have been for some time.....many appear to have joined and done nothing since .

Hey ho.........

jcmj

Reaction score
Absent Members

I joined in 2008 primarily to glean information about equipment from users rather than retailers and I expect many others have done the same - I have now just achieved 100 posts admittedly spurred on by the 100 posts rule but throughout the past nine years I have regularly logged on to update myself.
Your point is valid and true many including me take out more than we give - many also are not comfortable with seeing our thoughts in print on the web - how to encourage us to participate more I am afraid there I am stumped.

Rennie

Reaction score
I joined the forum many years ago, in fact pre-Springer days.It was a different place them!,posting in the company of some pretty heavyweight forum contributors past and current was very daunting indeed.Had the odd run in initially, but I know it may well not make sense to a forum newbie, but getting a toe into the water is the best thing you can do.Every one has some thing to contribute, some thing to say,something to share, something to ask even.Learning is a process of sharing,I'm very happy in sharing what I've learnt.I know I got where I got in Salmon fishing through the good will of others, helping me out with advice and practical experience.
As much as anything its a place to chat about Salmon fishing, a godsend for people like me who live miles from any real Salmon fishing and those who regularly go about it, gives me my regular fix as it were.
I never stop learning on here, there's a lot to just listen to so I can appreciate those who do just "lurk",but lob in your 2d worth and the depth of any topic broadens considerably.
Go on give it a go, not a bad place really.
Pedro.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I enjoy reading various posts and picking up tips and advice along the way. I don’t contribute to much in the way of advice as I don’t feel I,m experienced enough and wouldn’t like to give anyone the wrong info as there are many very knowledgeable salmon anglers on here who will give very good advice, you only have to ask. One way of getting more members to participate is by having meets, as once people know others personally they will feel more comfortable taking part even if it’s just to be told yer talking p—-.

charlieH

Reaction score
Some statistics.

Of the total membership, about 1/3 haven't looked in for at least six months.

About half have never posted at all.

About 2/3 have made fewer than 10 posts.

Only a bit over 1,000, or about 10% of the total registered membership, have made 100 or more posts.

But frankly 'twas ever thus. The number of registered members has never been much of an indication of the true, active membership. And from what I understand, you'd find a similar pattern on many other forums.

kramdrazzi

Reaction score
Salmon fishing is what I do for enjoyment and what I think, read and write about most of the time.....

By nature, I am an antisocial curmudgeon and really cannot be arsed sharing platitudes with people that I have nothing in common with, for the sake of conversation. Living in a rural community boasting zero other salmon anglers means I have very little in common with anyone - ergo, I do not really frequent my local as I present a singularly solitary picture of apparent isolation and then people, being of an inclusive and kindly disposition, are want to talk to me about the weather, or even worse............................football.

I joined this forum so that I can be in the virtual company of like-minded souls for a few minutes when I feel like it and never leave my seat. To that end it works very well.

I don't contribute much as I have very little to say that is original, but anything I do post is always done so with a smile and a gin & tonic close by. (Unless its in the morning........................I don't smile before midday!)

I fish with a fellow member or two a few times each year and with non-members quite a lot, so during the season I am on the forum less frequently, there being ample opportunity to talk fishing and fish mano a mano; but as an alleviater of cabin fever in the long winter months, especially as I no longer get the chance to shoot much, this forum is unequalled. I suspect a lot of non-contributing members also find a certain comfort here in, but feel no need to post anything.

Interestingly, other forums where one posts something that should elicit a response only to be met with days or even weeks of nothing by way of reciprocation, serve to have the exact opposite effect and because of this I no longer bother with them.

In reality, this forum has actually exacerbated my addiction!

Forum-member-specific-meet-ups would be nice. Do they still happen post Springer's Dee trips?

Last edited:

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
I enjoy reading various posts and picking up tips and advice along the way. I don’t contribute to much in the way of advice as I don’t feel I,m experienced enough and wouldn’t like to give anyone the wrong info as there are many very knowledgeable salmon anglers on here who will give very good advice, you only have to ask.

This is very true although bear in mind that one fisher's methods don't always work well for someone else. Long before the internet I was inspired by Falkus's book on sea trout. I never caught good numbers of fish until I stopped trying to fish the fly like Hugh did, but what his book did do was motivate me to keep trying and keep thinking. So I guess what I'm saying is not to worry about the quality of your advice. Those more experienced will do their own thing while at worst you'll give those less experienced food for thought - and might just help them make a catch they remember.

shotgunner

Reaction score
Received this response in reply to a post made in the classifieds this a.m.

see thread "Absent members" by Hemmy - do a bit of posting and then Pm'ing will be a doddle

This is a timely thread for my situation, thanks for the nudge jcmj

Some interesting replies here already. The piece below is solid gold, many thanks kramdrazzi for tapping that post out. Laughed out loud for the for the first time in to long.. We share some similarities! In fact, all noted by you below (still smiling)

By nature, I am an antisocial curmudgeon and really cannot be arsed sharing platitudes with people that I have nothing in common with, for the sake of conversation. Living in a rural community boasting zero other salmon anglers means I have very little in common with anyone - ergo, I do not really frequent my local as I present a singularly solitary picture of apparent isolation and then people, being of an inclusive and kindly disposition, are want to talk to me about the weather, or even worse............................football.

I apologize for any offence by my lack of presence after joining here. Far FAR and away from intent.

kramdrazzi

Reaction score
........many thanks kramdrazzi for tapping that post out. Laughed out loud for the for the first time in to long..

I apologize for any offence by my lack of presence after joining here. Far FAR and away from intent.

My pleasure.

Don't apologise - I doubt anyone takes offence at people not posting; but to be on the safe side chuck an opinion or a question or an anecdote into a thread from time to time and you never know, you might help someone out or even cheer them up.

phatagrova

Reaction score
I've just checked my join date 2008 unreal that I've been mooching about this site all this time , I have learned a lot on the site, from those have posted threads , Guys come & go some notable, (Ross McDonald is one that comes to mind} , some where forced or blocked of the site by the admin team , especially when it was perceived they were trying to offer a product that may of deemed they were gaining a reward,
I think the forum still has a future , I myself still browse old posts from years ago when looking for info

Wiscoy

Reaction score
I read the board a lot

but rarely post- i get to travel to a salmon fishing area once every few years- so- its not that ii have much expertise to share -

so- i am one of those inactive members if posting activity is the measurement, i still enjoy my visits

clydesider

Reaction score
We are indebted on this forum to the real experts who are prepared to freely share their knowledge and tips.
Even if most members feel they are unable to contribute at that level, they can still tell a story and post some pics of their fishing trips(blanks included!)...........those are my favourite threads;):D
Mike

Last edited:

speyclavedave

Reaction score
We are indebted on this forum to the real experts who are prepared to freely share their knowledge and tips.
Even if most members feel they are unable to contribute at that level, they can still tell a story and post some pics of their fishing trips(blanks included!)...........those are my favourite threads;):D
Mike
Personally I get bored very quickly with the serious stuff (particularly when the graphs show up)
Pre Facebook was the most enjoyable time to frequent SFF but it pretty much took over and nae body gets banned on there or very very rarely at least.
You can only read so many threads on what's the 5 best flies for whatever river or waders that leak that probably shouldn't of without getting bored.
I only came here in past for the humour of which seemed to drop away to precious little some time ago.
Gotta love the controversial stuff too where folk don't hold back and a good scrap starts but those get shut down these days fairly pronto... Boo I know I'm probably a trash talk loving sort of member.
But I'm OK with that, not enough of it for me to bother posting anymore plus I been banned mair than most in past and can't be bothered making new e mail addresses for another membership, which begs the question out of the 13000 members there is without a doubt many with way more than one account, most I speak to have a few, prob more like half that number would be more realistic

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

FloatinglineNelly

Reaction score
Personally I get bored very quickly with the serious stuff (particularly when the graphs show up)
Pre Facebook was the most enjoyable time to frequent SFF but it pretty much took over and nae body gets banned on there or very very rarely at least.
You can only read so many threads on what's the 5 best flies for whatever river or waders that leak that probably shouldn't of without getting bored.
I only came here in past for the humour of which seemed to drop away to precious little some time ago.
Gotta love the controversial stuff too where folk don't hold back and a good scrap starts but those get shut down these days fairly pronto... Boo I know I'm probably a trash talk loving sort of member.
But I'm OK with that, not enough of it for me to bother posting anymore plus I been banned mair than most in past and can't be bothered making new e mail addresses for another membership, which begs the question out of the 13000 members there is without a doubt many with way more than one account, most I speak to have a few, prob more like half that number would be more realistic

I agree David, and these Coneheid flees....well...what about them.

speyclavedave

Reaction score
I agree David, and these Coneheid flees....well...what about them.
Well Tarquin i feel a coneheid rant simmering inside me here, basically it's them things we should blame for fly tying going a bit lego looking, I hate them and I'm a purist, I take it you're also a purist, and don't get me started on those proteams eh

speyclavedave

Reaction score
What exactly is a Pro-team in regards to Salmon fishing David.
Do they get paid for fishing like in Amerca with the bass?
I know one guy that gets paid in coneheids and tubes, he seems happy with that!
I seen one guy tonight being a blatent hashtag slut to get recognised by loop.... Pffffftttt