Aboyne Castle

salmonstu.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Have booked 3 days on Aboyne Castle in August, was wondering if anyone has fished/tips. I have fished the Dee most of my salmon life, up and down the river.... All Glen Tanar beats and Craigendinnie across the water. Aboyne Castle looks excellent fly water (given water of course).... Any tips guys!!!👍

Birkin

Reaction score
When I fished Aboyne Castle the long time gillie Alex Coutts would always pull out of my box a size 16 Stouts Tail.
Fridays and Saturdays could be a problem with people using the pools near the house for recreation

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Some cracking pools at Aboyne Castle. Jockie Fife and Tanar Mouth are lovely casts. Forties are good pools as well. It can be busy with walkers on a sunny day but the upper pools are quiet and should be free from the swimming dogs and stone throwers.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Still got a chance of some fresh fish in August I would of thought?

Tell you what slightly off topic but checking out those Fishpal stats for all rivers are very revealing re runs of salmon and sea trout on various rivers. The Dee sees a load of sea trout by catches in June, whilst other near by rivers have no sea trout by catches until July.
I’d be interested to know if the Dee still has clean running fish in August? What with it being known as a spring river.

Andrew B

Reaction score
When I fished Aboyne Castle the long time gillie Alex Coutts would always pull out of my box a size 16 Stouts Tail.
Fridays and Saturdays could be a problem with people using the pools near the house for recreation

Old fly tying pal of mine Mike Townend would fish the Aberdeen Angling club section of the Dee which I think is real low down the river. Anyway in summer on low clear water with fish stacked up he would fish these beautiful tiny size 16,18 and even 20s to gain an edge over the others using big flies.

salmonstu.

Reaction score
Cheers guys....I'm on Mon/Tues/Wed....so hopefully miss the weekend mob!!!!!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Still got a chance of some fresh fish in August I would of thought?

Tell you what slightly off topic but checking out those Fishpal stats for all rivers are very revealing re runs of salmon and sea trout on various rivers. The Dee sees a load of sea trout by catches in June, whilst other near by rivers have no sea trout by catches until July.
I’d be interested to know if the Dee still has clean running fish in August? What with it being known as a spring river.
Last year, plenty of very fresh grilse running in early August.

Rennie

Reaction score
Give thought to not only reducing the size of the flee's you fish, but the kit you fish them from too is better reduced to keep things in balance.You don't want poker stiff 11 weight rods, 18lb maxima and heavy sinking tips, think limber easy actioned 7 weight rods, tapered leaders and cast material that matches the flee's your using.Wee flee's are but one part of the equation.
Pedro.

midgydug

Reaction score
Fished Aboyne Castle for nearly 30 years. To be honest there is not much call for a switch rod, it is still a
wide powerful river even in low water and you never know what you might connect with.
Beat changes from bottom to top, and vice versa each day at one oclock unless water is high. The ghillie will keep you right.
Bottom beat concentrate on Tanar Mouth and Middle Fontys. There are always fish in these pools.
Top section, Crofts will be your best bet. Jockys always has fish but is probably more productive from other side.
Storm Frank in 2015 was not kind to this beat and it has lost some of its most productive pools, Simmonds for example,
which the catch returns now show.
However it is a beautiful piece of the Dee, where i have had some great days . Easy wading and access and the ghillies
have always been first class.

salmonstu.

Reaction score
That's brilliant, mate.....thanks a lot for the information.
Cheers.