Able raw dog food - a recommendation

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I've been feeding Merle Able raw food now for about 9 months - not really by choice.

I've always known raw is better but have been daunted by making my own, and the stuff you see in the freezers in pet shops is EXPENSIVE. However, Queen Merle went off her posh dry stuff and I wasn't prepared to deal with the faeces arising from canned food. So I stumbled across this...

IMG_3709.jpg
IMG_3710.jpg

Merle absolutely loves it. She's usually a picky eater but polishes this in one sitting and licks the bowl, and her condition has improved so much. Her coat is much much thicker and shinier - especially on her chest and lower sides, she didn't used to really have fur there, it's weird - she has more energy and feels more muscular to touch, her poos are a joy...

It comes in portion-sized freezer blocks based on weight and activity level. A DPD delivery of food a month, landing early Saturday morning when we're in. I know there are cheaper ways to feed raw, but there also many more expensive ways, and this strikes a good balance for me.

Just thought I'd share for anyone else interested in dog food.

99% nutrition score and review:

Link to buy:

It's costing me £56 a month to feed her on it, including delivery. I was spending about £45 on dry food AND had to remember to go out and get it. I consider it decent value.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Sometimes it has recognisable bits of heart or kidney in, or huge valves I can't cut with a knife, for added interest.

rotenone

Reaction score
I feed raw alway have done, to be honest I wouldn't buy that type of food it looks fatty, you would be better off finding meat procesors and buying beef cheek, raw tripe and offal cheaper and you know exactly what you are getting, I don't like things that come frozen on blocks, it also looks minced up.
Part of the major benefits of feeding raw is jaw and teeth health but the pieces need to be larger. Feeding larger cuts of meat is also better for digestion as the animal has to chew the meat.
I feed exclusively raw.
20 percent offal
50 percent beef cheek
10 percent oily fish
20 percent green tripe
I just wouldn't trust prepared raw dog food
Treats soft brisket bones and marrow bones
You could probably reduce the cost by half and have better food as well.
Beef cheek I can get for 2 euros a kg and a complet tripe only 5 euros, green tripe is a complete raw dog food they can live and thrive on that.
Its essential in raw feeding IMHO when wolves or wild dogs make a kill they alway eat the stomach first

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I feed raw alway have done, to be honest I wouldn't buy that type of food it looks fatty, you would be better off finding meat procesors and buying beef cheek, raw tripe and offal cheaper and you know exactly what you are getting, I don't like things that come frozen on blocks, it also looks minced up.
Part of the major benefits of feeding raw is jaw and teeth health but the pieces need to be larger. Feeding larger cuts of meat is also better for digestion as the animal has to chew the meat.
I feed exclusively raw.
20 percent offal
50 percent beef cheek
10 percent oily fish
20 percent green tripe
I just wouldn't trust prepared raw dog food
Treats soft brisket bones and marrow bones
You could probably reduce the cost by half and have better food as well.
Beef cheek I can get for 2 euros a kg and a complet tripe only 5 euros, green tripe is a complete raw dog food they can live and thrive on that.
Its essential in raw feeding IMHO when wolves or wild dogs make a kill they alway eat the stomach first
I like the minced upness - or rather, my dog does. She will leave big chunks of anything that's in it, so we have to cut them up for her before serving. She's a really delicate, slow eater and doesn't seem to enjoy bones or big chews - I've had her teeth checked out, they're all fine, she's just not a big chewer/gnawer. The rest of your post is fair enough - it gets a 99% nutrition score on the review site, so from a commercial dog food perspective, I'm not sure it could be better. However, your way is undoubtedly best of all, and when you share photos of your dogs on here, they GLEAM with health.

Baby steps, though. I don't know if I'm ready for a tripe bin in the garage just yet.

CholeBur

Reaction score
I've been feeding Merle Able raw food now for about 9 months - not really by choice.

I've always known raw is better but have been daunted by making my own, and the stuff you see in the freezers in pet shops is EXPENSIVE. However, Queen Merle went off her posh dry stuff and I wasn't prepared to deal with the faeces arising from canned food. So I stumbled across this...

View attachment 50363View attachment 50364

Merle absolutely loves it. She's usually a picky eater but polishes this in one sitting and licks the bowl, and her condition has improved so much. Her coat is much much thicker and shinier - especially on her chest and lower sides, she didn't used to really have fur there, it's weird - she has more energy and feels more muscular to touch, her poos are a joy...

It comes in portion-sized freezer blocks based on weight and activity level. A DPD delivery of food a month, landing early Saturday morning when we're in. I know there are cheaper ways to feed raw, but there also many more expensive ways, and this strikes a good balance for me.

Link to buy:

It's costing me £56 a month to feed her on it, including delivery. I was spending about £45 on dry food AND had to remember to go out and get it. I consider it decent value.
Hi:) I will say right away that you are almost one hundred percent right, but raw food must first be frozen and then thawed and can be given to a pet. A lot of bacteria dying and food is becoming more safe. I know all this from personal experience, because I received a lot of advice from veterinarians and after several years I realized how to feed a dog properly:) The first thing to know is that you need to mix natural food together with special food such as this https://petsmatters.net/top-5-best-dog-food-for-pitbulls/ . As a result, this diet will contain a lot of vitamins and various useful substances for the dog. My dog is healthy and very energetic.:)

rotenone

Reaction score
Most vets know little about raw feeding in. My.experience , the reason is they attend schools with huge sponsorship from pet food companies and are scaremongered about raw feeding. I have to disagree no raw food has to be frozen first and then thawed? Yes dogs can be succeptable to food bugs like humans, they won't eat rotten or meat that's turning by choice.

If the meat is fresh then it should be fed as it is, fresh meat that has been frozen after killing is OK, but the same guidelines apply to that as would to human consumption meat.

Dogs kill and eat raw that's nature, dogs that cannot handle raw meat have most likely developed digestion problems by being fed grain in which case a lightly cooked bioloically appropriate diet is best.

Raw chicken can be a problem with bacteria, and cooked chicken is dangerous because of sharp splinter bones all bones must be removed from cooked chicken before feeding..

Dogs don't need any supplements the.were.designed.by.nature to. Be. Maintenance free it's mans interference into their diet with grains and inappropriate feeding that has created such unhealthy dogs.

Absolutely 100 percent of a dogs nutrition can be met through natural feeding it just takes time and a lot of effort today I paid my raw food from last year I could have had a tidy fishing holiday to a Russia, but then again I've never had any sick dogs or big vet bills

Last edited:

Icelander05

Reaction score
Rotenone, thanks for your input. I do buy ready made raw food (it is quite popular over here) from Happy Pets and I do mix the various options. I am sincerely thinking about your approach and to do it myself. The one I do buy does not contain large chunks. On the other side I don't think that my lab will chew on these a lot, so maybe minced stuff will be better?
Icelander05

Chester

Reaction score
I make my own, which isn’t much more expensive than good quality dried stuff.
To the offal/meat cuts already mentioned I add carrot, sweet potato, raw egg and cod liver oil that I blend in my nutri bullet.
I make the food up in batches that last a week, which is easy to manage time wise.

Woodbank

Reaction score

View attachment 50363View attachment 50364

Link to buy:

Bella and Duke home delivery plenty of variety spot on👍

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Bella and Duke home delivery plenty of variety spot on👍
Looks great but it would be more expensive than the stuff she's on now based on the calculator - it said £70.77 + delivery, and I'm paying £56 delivered. I might have to go there if she goes off Able though - I just can't see myself making it myself, accepting that Rotenone's dogs speak for themselves, condition-wise.

rotenone

Reaction score
Rotenone, thanks for your input. I do buy ready made raw food (it is quite popular over here) from Happy Pets and I do mix the various options. I am sincerely thinking about your approach and to do it myself. The one I do buy does not contain large chunks. On the other side I don't think that my lab will chew on these a lot, so maybe minced stuff will be better?
Icelander05
Dogs love chewing, it's all relative to the jaw size, but dogs loose jaw strength and run the risk of dental problems if they don't have something to chew.
My neighbour has a pug and I often give him. Some raw feed when I have some some spare he chomps his way through big lumps of throat and beef cheek no problem with his tiny little mouth

rotenone

Reaction score
This is a typical day's raw feeding for my dogs.
Beef throat and fresh green tripe , tomorrow they will have something different beef muscle meat, offal and sardines I mix it up so they don't get bored

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_183113.jpg
    IMG_20210202_183113.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210202_182923.jpg
    IMG_20210202_182923.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 12