Aberdeenshire Dee 2021

Stockybasher

Reaction score
Hi guys - is it my failing memory (!) or are the Dee fish this year so far a bit smaller than the previous Spring runs ??
I have not fished a spring on the Dee for a few years now, but the catches now seem to be averaging about 7 - 9 lbs, with a few fish to 12/14lb - and well done to all their captors !!
But a few years ago it was not unusual to see 16/18/20 lb fish in the book for Feb/Mar/Apr ?? As an example, in my 2013 visits I had a 17lb in Feb, and in first week of Apr 17/18/13 lb, plus another 3 smaller fish. The following few years were then fishless for me (and most others!!).
So why (seemingly) smaller fish - poor feeding, or are these merely biggish grilse running early ????

Last edited:

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I see in the Dee newsletter that Graeme Simpson is no longer the ghillie at Birse. The new ghillie is Drew Patterson. Does anyone know where he comes from or anything about him? Just curious as we will hopefully have 3 weeks up there later in the year.

johnstyles

Reaction score
I see in the Dee newsletter that Graeme Simpson is no longer the ghillie at Birse. The new ghillie is Drew Patterson. Does anyone know where he comes from or anything about him? Just curious as we will hopefully have 3 weeks up there later in the year.
He is the headkeepers son it will be his first job as a ghillie

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
He is the headkeepers son it will be his first job as a ghillie
Many thanks John I should have clocked the surname. I suppose we will be seeing Rab down at the hut more often keeping an eye on him in case we start teaching him some of our bad habits. ;)

pfeul

Reaction score
Do you know if Graeme is ghillieing somewhere else? He was a great ghillie at Birse and a very nice bloke.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Do you know if Graeme is ghillieing somewhere else? He was a great ghillie at Birse and a very nice bloke.
I don't know where he is now. He has not updated his facebook page for a while. You could try messaging him on it.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Hopefully all this water will have helped the last of the smolt run get out to sea with minimum losses from FEBs. I haven't seen anything on any of the other boards so does anyone know what the smolt run on the Dee was like this year?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
After a pretty horrendous drive up meaning I arrived late, and then a bad nights sleep thanks to a very rowdy wedding, I was feeling a tad tired this morning as I drove onto the Tilbouries beat. While I downed a much needed coffee, Nicol the Ghillie set my rod up which as the river was running about 1.5’ above summer low, consisted of my full floater, 10’ fast sink polyleader and about 5’ of 12lb leader to a size eight green bodied Mackenzie cascade sort of thing selected from my box.

2 hours later this beastie graced the net, bright silver and sea liced although in the photo it looks darker. Quick grip and grin and off it happily went after a brief recovery.
F117FBEB-3BB7-4937-BE65-A4C9F0119D1D.jpeg

Nothing else happened until after lunch when after no more than 6 casts I lost what felt like a much bigger fish that just went solid on the take before slowly heading up river like I didn’t exist! When it eventually came back level with me the hook pulled and other than a brief flash of silver as it first went past I never even saw it😫

The day finished in pouring rain with a grilse of around 6lb and so no photo and so fingers crossed for the rest of the week as the river looks great and I saw lots of fish. It was also encouraging to catch a number of parr and so hopefully they will be back to make for a good couple of years to come.

75566FC9-7E1B-4F2E-B4C3-B69FF916E58E.jpeg

C5C23C7E-01C6-4870-84FB-FAE0359B67F5.jpeg

westie4566

Reaction score
After a pretty horrendous drive up meaning I arrived late, and then a bad nights sleep thanks to a very rowdy wedding, I was feeling a tad tired this morning as I drove onto the Tilbouries beat. While I downed a much needed coffee, Nicol the Ghillie set my rod up which as the river was running about 1.5’ above summer low, consisted of my full floater, 10’ fast sink polyleader and about 5’ of 12lb leader to a size eight green bodied Mackenzie cascade sort of thing selected from my box.

2 hours later this beastie graced the net, bright silver and sea liced although in the photo it looks darker. Quick grip and grin and off it happily went after a brief recovery.
View attachment 64181

Nothing else happened until after lunch when after no more than 6 casts I lost what felt like a much bigger fish that just went solid on the take before slowly heading up river like I didn’t exist! When it eventually came back level with me the hook pulled and other than a brief flash of silver as it first went past I never even saw it😫

The day finished in pouring rain with a grilse of around 6lb and so no photo and so fingers crossed for the rest of the week as the river looks great and I saw lots of fish. It was also encouraging to catch a number of parr and so hopefully they will be back to make for a good couple of years to come.

View attachment 64187
View attachment 64190
Well done Ian, just a shame the other one didn't stick! Good time of year for Tilbouries, fished it many, many times.

Tight lines for the rest of the week

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Day 2: much harder with a lot more colour on the river today after another lift last night. As a result the takes were very tentative and while I had two fish on for a decent amount of time, the hook pulled on both before netting and the third was just a brief handshake. A nice 14lber and a wee grisle were taken by another angler. Roll on tomorrow!

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Day 3: oh no please not again!
the river was still coloured and running a wee bit high this morning meaning everyone was struggling with just a coloured grilse by lunchtime to another rod. Me? One handshake and one fish lost before netting!!! Arrrrrghhhh. Just after lunch I netted a very fresh, pure chrome grilse for another angler but as the ghillie left at 5pm advising me to give Lawsons pool another go, I was still fishless without even a parr to my rod!

Then it happened. About 1/3 of the way down the pool everything went tight before my reel started singing. That began a long fight that saw me into the backing three times after getting the end of the polyleader to the tip ring. The netting part we shan’t mention as it took me three attempts but finally I did have an estimated 10lb fish on the net. Very strong in the fight, very solid fish in the net and it sprayed my face with water as it went back strongly. Despite the rain I even managed a photo on the iPhone😁

One very happy man that had started to question everything from the hook at one end to the clutch setting at the other! Roll on day 4…

D03BBF00-9B40-48CD-8E0F-30442C5ADAFE.jpeg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Day 4. No photos as my phone didn’t like the rain and so the camera is shot😬. The river was over 6’ on the gauge with a fair bit of debris which made like interesting. Much like yesterday it was very quiet during the day with just one wee coloured grilse to another rod and very little seen until the evening. No one else had a touch. Right at the end I follows two fellow anglers down Lawsons and had a grilse around 7lb grab the fly on the first cast I allowed to fish while extending the line. No one else touched anything. Hopefully with the river fining down nicely and having already dropped 12” Friday on Park will yield another fish for me to round of a pretty good week.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Day5. Park was well off form with plenty of fish showing but by 5pm just three fish had been caught between about 9 anglers. I had a couple of handshakes but that was it. Loads of water to go at and so although there were a number of people fishing, I only ever saw others at a distance and so the feeling of seclusion remained. Bert is another really good ghillie and so although it was my second blank of the week, I would love to get back for another day with 🤞 it’s on more usual form!

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Day5. Park was well off form with plenty of fish showing bit by 5pm just three fish had been caught between about 9 anglers. I had a couple of handshakes but that was it. Loads of water to go at and do although there were a number of people fishing I only ever saw others at a distance and so the feeling of seclusion remained. Bert is another really good ghillie and so although it was my second blank of the week, I would love it get back for another day with 🤞 it’s on more usual form!
That's a pity Iain as Park has been of fire this week. Shame the fish were off the boil.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
That's a pity Iain as Park has been of fire this week. Shame the fish were off the boil.
The fish just don’t read the rule book. Water levels had dropped to a pretty ideal level and so everyone was scratching their heads! Plenty of fresh, chrome grilse moving too and so it wasn’t as if we were fishing mainly for residents.

westie4566

Reaction score
Absolutely, so much variation between and so little time to find them all! I’d love to get another crack at Sluie too.
Used to fish Sluie regularly until the 'Dee Fishing Tax' came into play a decade or so ago. £30 a day and great sport. The Kelpie was always a favourite....interesting wading though 😅

westie4566

Reaction score
Better than ‘suicide’ over on Commonty though 😳
Only just!!!

I remember back in around 2008/9 being a wee bit down the kelpie and spotting a nice fish head and tail off my right shoulder. Quickly wound in, waded in and rattled up the bank a bit and back in the water. As soon as I covered it it took. Wasn't big, just around the 10lb mark but by God it used every bit of the flow, so an epic scrap.

I hadn't realised that the entire thing was being watched by American tourists who'd parked at the wee laybye at the entrance to the beat.

I reckon to this day they are still wondering why I put a solid wee bar of silver back rather than keep and eat it. I think I blew their minds:ROFLMAO: