Aberdeenshire Dee 2021

kenb61

Reaction score
Ok, maybe a tad cheeky here but see there's no thread here yet for this season on the Dee that I can see.

Had a wee stroll along the Culter beat today with John McKenzie from here and have to say I was pleasantly surprised how clear it is and also accessible for an auld bugger like me. Good that there's not a lot of high weed on south bank either. Will see how it goes next Tuesday (fully booked for Monday). will try out some of the scruffiest looking flees that have been tied but got to give it a go.

Looking forward to it and will meet up with John another time for some time on the water (y)

kenb61

Reaction score
Will do. Then again could probably give you the answer now, same as previous seasons, blankety blank, blankety blank :confused::LOL:

westie4566

Reaction score
Tight lines to all who fish the Dee this year.

I'm out on Monday, a wee but further upstream from Culter, it certainly looks like it's going to be a tad on the chilly side -could be grue and frozen rings I fear!

SOS

Reaction score
Hope you have all got your river Dee buff, I got one at xmas, Keeps out the cold as well as covid.

This might be of interest

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Seen a pic on faceache, looked a very cold it has to be said.

we will have to wait till tommorow morning as per usual to see if lower crathes had one

john mckenzie

Reaction score
Ok, maybe a tad cheeky here but see there's no thread here yet for this season on the Dee that I can see.

Had a wee stroll along the Culter beat today with John McKenzie from here and have to say I was pleasantly surprised how clear it is and also accessible for an auld bugger like me. Good that there's not a lot of high weed on south bank either. Will see how it goes next Tuesday (fully booked for Monday). will try out some of the scruffiest looking flees that have been tied but got to give it a go.

Looking forward to it and will meet up with John another time for some time on the water (y)
Good luck tomorrow Ken, mate of mine from buses was up at Cairnton (Banchory) today i i txt him at 4pm and he hooked a kelt so theye are there.
And as you said the beat looked good for getting back into the double hander. hope the weather holds out for both of us lol.
ill txt you morns night see how you got on :) :) o and if you catch one we them homemade flies im first on the list for an order lol

Last edited:

kenb61

Reaction score
Good luck tomorrow Ken, mate of mine from buses was up at Cairnton (Banchory) today i i txt him at 4pm and he hooked a kelt so theye are there.
And as you said the beat looked good for getting back into the double hander. hope the weather holds out for both of us lol.
ill txt you morns night see how you got on :) :) o and if you catch one we them homemade flies im first on the list for an order lol
Hi John, cheers I'll let you know how it goes. See the photo on Facebook of the one caught at pump house. Hopefully will go well but will be fine just to be out. Got the warm gear looked out and prepared.

Catch up tomorrow(y)

kenb61

Reaction score
Managed a couple of hours out this afternoon. Still plenty of true coning down around lunchtime but cleared a wee bit not long after but still plenty flowing. Never seen anything nor had the three guys on south bank on the morning session before me. I'm good at this blanking lark :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully get out again soon and will be looking at two think pairs of socks, other than feet it wasn't too cold.

john mckenzie

Reaction score
Managed a couple of hours out this afternoon. Still plenty of true coning down around lunchtime but cleared a wee bit not long after but still plenty flowing. Never seen anything nor had the three guys on south bank on the morning session before me. I'm good at this blanking lark :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully get out again soon and will be looking at two think pairs of socks, other than feet it wasn't too cold.
Hi Ken yea not the best of weather for first day out, looking even worse for tomorrow will decide around 10ish but no point if going to stand there miserable good. did you use your new home made ones ???

kenb61

Reaction score
Hi Ken yea not the best of weather for first day out, looking even worse for tomorrow will decide around 10ish but no point if going to stand there miserable good. did you use your new home made ones ???
Good luck tomorrow John if you manage to get out. Let me know how you get on. Tried a Gold Bodied Willie Gunn on a 1 1/2 tube, it held together.

We can look to catch up and get out next week (y)

Donsider

Reaction score
I was out Monday afternoon on the North Bank at Culter. It was nice to be out once again and most certainly a bit of a pick me up after weeks of lockdown. Nothing was seen nor heard what a contrast from when I regularly fished here in the eighties. February used to give us about 10 springers and an endless number of kelts. But hey ho time moves on.

I have a day at Park on Saturday - Long Johns will be in order given the weather I should gather.

Stay safe

wilbert

Reaction score
On June 25th and 26th there is a 24 hour fishing event over 7 beats to raise money for the River Dee Trust.

The Dee has been a good river to me over the years providing me with my first Scottish salmon, my first ever Springer and an opening day double before 11.30am just narrowly missing out on the first off the river by 10 minutes. Its only right that I put myself out a little and put something back to this great river.

Some on here may already be signed up for the event which is limited to 30 anglers or sign up after reading this and some may simply want to sponsor me or others to raise money for the trust. I am happy with any of the above.

All money raised by myself will be going straight to the trust as I've covered all the entry cost, fuel and accommodation etc myself as I believe sponsorship shouldn't subsidise a person's hobby / passion etc.

For more info on the event or to donate to my just giving page please click on the links below.

Thank you for taking the time to read this especially if you donate.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dave-wilmot1

http://www.riverdee.org.uk/events/2021/fishdee24

iainmortimer

Reaction score
On June 25th and 26th there is a 24 hour fishing event over 7 beats to raise money for the River Dee Trust.

The Dee has been a good river to me over the years providing me with my first Scottish salmon, my first ever Springer and an opening day double before 11.30am just narrowly missing out on the first off the river by 10 minutes. Its only right that I put myself out a little and put something back to this great river.

Some on here may already be signed up for the event which is limited to 30 anglers or sign up after reading this and some may simply want to sponsor me or others to raise money for the trust. I am happy with any of the above.

All money raised by myself will be going straight to the trust as I've covered all the entry cost, fuel and accommodation etc myself as I believe sponsorship shouldn't subsidise a person's hobby / passion etc.

For more info on the event or to donate to my just giving page please click on the links below.

Thank you for taking the time to read this especially if you donate.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dave-wilmot1

http://www.riverdee.org.uk/events/2021/fishdee24

I shall hopefully see you there! With any luck I'll have been able to get fishing beforehand or my casting could be the booked comedy event I'll be so rusty!

My page for what it’s worth:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/iain-mortimer1

Last edited: