Aberdeenshire Dee 2020

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Any of you with local knowledge know what’s happening on the Dee - last year there was a big push of fish when the big waters came (end July/beginning of August) - then after that there were only dribs and drabs of fresh fish - the rest of what was caught after was what was already in the river - with no back end influx of new fish.

This year - we had a big dollop of rain about 3 weeks ago - and again a good surge of fish - but last two weeks ( and last week particularly) - catches have dropped off again - Even though there were some pretty decent lifts - so do you think it’s like last year in that when the water finally came the bulk of fish have now come in? Suppose we’ll see with this latest dose of rain - but starting to look like that’s it again?

selfishly I’m hoping I’m wrong as I’m supposed to be on the Dee end sept - Covid and queen Nicola dependent. I’ll be happy with anything - but if ‘that’s it’ for the year - then it’ll be hard going unless the crocs get all agitated.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
There were certainly plenty of frsh grilse running on the upper river a couple of weeks ago. As you say, catches seem to haver dropped off since. One thing I have found with the upper Dee is that even quite small changes in water conditions can put the fish right off, partricularly small rises in water levels during the day. Much more so than other rivers. Not sure why but it does seem to be the case.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
There were certainly plenty of frsh grilse running on the upper river a couple of weeks ago. As you say, catches seem to haver dropped off since. One thing I have found with the upper Dee is that even quite small changes in water conditions can put the fish right off, partricularly small rises in water levels during the day. Much more so than other rivers. Not sure why but it does seem to be the case.
I saw on the Dee report by Ross that the black acidy water put things down - wonder if the small rises just result in a leeching into the river - whereas a decent dump of rain dilutes it. There again last week it got to 4ft at woodend - so I’d have thought that would be a decent rise.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I saw on the Dee report by Ross that the black acidy water put things down - wonder if the small rises just result in a leeching into the river - whereas a decent dump of rain dilutes it. There again last week it got to 4ft at woodend - so I’d have thought that would be a decent rise.
Yes, I saw there had been a good rise in level. Peat in the water certainly seems to put them off. One of the upper river ghillies used to say his perfect week was a good flood at the start of the week and then falling and clearing steadily throughout the week with no further rises in water level. (Obviously perfect temperatures and cloud cover as well :)).

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Aye - whenever I go there it’s on its bones, sunny, windy and just starts raining Saturday evening as I’m packing up. Throw in the odd otter at the best pool. Magic 😂😂😀😀

scoops

Reaction score
On a course in Aberdeen so took the rods to keep out the boozer a bit Had a few hours at Culter last night only seen a couple kippers, went to pump house pool this afternoon fishing down seen a couple fish move then a bloody big seal appeared sat n watched the thing chase fish across the pool, never got anything while I was there, just left after that, off to pub now 🙄

Last edited:

Cambo_Slambo

Reaction score
On a course in Aberdeen so took the rods to keep out the boozer a bit Had a few hours at Culter last night only seen a couple kippers, went to pump house pool this afternoon fishing down seen a couple fish move then a bloody big seal appeared sat n watched the thing chase fish across the pool, never got anything while I was there, just left after that, off to pub now 🙄
I saw a few fish showing at Culter on Monday night while fishing. Nothing taking interest though.

scoops

Reaction score
I saw a few fish showing at Culter on Monday night while fishing. Nothing taking interest though.
The water looked perfect on Tuesday, There was a big croc at the bottom of beat just up from the bridge, that pool seems to changed a lot since last time I fished it, not so good a cast from the south bank and a tree/big branch under the water at the bridge

Cambo_Slambo

Reaction score
The water looked perfect on Tuesday, There was a big croc at the bottom of beat just up from the bridge, that pool seems to changed a lot since last time I fished it, not so good a cast from the south bank and a tree/big branch under the water at the bridge
Yeah since that really heavy rains a few weeks ago the bridge pool has completely changed, the stream is now more towards the middle with that big shingle deposit on the south bank. I saw one in the current in that pool and also a few in the Camphill (No.6) pool.

scoops

Reaction score
Yeah since that really heavy rains a few weeks ago the bridge pool has completely changed, the stream is now more towards the middle with that big shingle deposit on the south bank. I saw one in the current in that pool and also a few in the Camphill (No.6) pool.
Was a couple moved in Peters Pot just as the light was going down, never seen anything in the other pools though