Aberdeenshire Dee 2020

keirstream

Reaction score
30 or 40 years ago there would have being very few anglers using the fly in feb.
Every year in those days T & S ran the same Abu advert. "FEBRUARY IS TOBY MONTH" screamed out of the middle pages and so it was, irrespective of river. Not many rods fished fly then, only the rabid traditionalists. The Dee was no different from any other river in that respect.
As a matter of absolute fact, the only reason we started fly fishing seriously was when the Tay banned the shrimp so we all invested in Powerlights and Michael Evans Arrowheads and continued to plunder the lies below Pitlochry Dam.
It has to be said, it was much easier with the shrimp but much more pleasurable with the fly.:)
However, as Mr McPherson or Mr Stewart were the main benefactors, pleasure wasn't really a huge factor in the proceedings.:lol:
Anyhow, now it's almost impossible to tempt fish that aren't there anymore, so why not allow more spinning at this time of year on the Dee?
Too much snobbish behaviour.:(

Pantoch

Reaction score
You could just stick to fishing the Tay and stop mumping your gums every year about the Dee.

Loxie

Reaction score
Every year in those days T & S ran the same Abu advert. "FEBRUARY IS TOBY MONTH" screamed out of the middle pages and so it was, irrespective of river. Not many rods fished fly then, only the rabid traditionalists. The Dee was no different from any other river in that respect.
As a matter of absolute fact, the only reason we started fly fishing seriously was when the Tay banned the shrimp so we all invested in Powerlights and Michael Evans Arrowheads and continued to plunder the lies below Pitlochry Dam.
It has to be said, it was much easier with the shrimp but much more pleasurable with the fly.:)
However, as Mr McPherson or Mr Stewart were the main benefactors, pleasure wasn't really a huge factor in the proceedings.:lol:
Anyhow, now it's almost impossible to tempt fish that aren't there anymore, so why not allow more spinning at this time of year on the Dee?
Why not bring back the shrimp? If all the fish are to be returned anyway it can't do any harm?

keirstream

Reaction score
You could just stick to fishing the Tay and stop mumping your gums every year about the Dee.

Nice 1st post Pantoch, I'm going to give you a like. for reading something into a post that wasn't even there.:thumb:
The post was a general reply which did not focus on the Dee. Generally, there is too much snobbery everywhere, but yes, if you want me to comment further on the Dee, it is the worst in the country for that.
The almost paranoic defence of the Dee, which you have exemplified with your 1st EVER post, does contribute to anglers not returning to fish it, yes, like myself. That and things like the extension of the season some years ago.
But maybe, as a local, that is your aim????:)

gordyT8

Reaction score
Not convinced it's much to do with snobbery (apart from maybe just a smidge round about May time IMH experience), but the Dee is far more suited to fly than the Tay is for example, so would have been an easier transition.
I don't get the link between the shrimp ban and everyone taking up fly instead - as far as I recall they resorted to Rapalas and Flying 'C's, which for 90% of these folks were far easier to use, and required less skill, than a Devon Minnow.
More people to my mind seemed to take to the fly on the back of (1) significant improvements in rods / lines, making it easier to fish in all conditions, and (2) the success and influential effects imparted by our visiting Scandanavian buddies.
100% agreement on the ridiculous season extension though, particularly nowadays in the absence of a true back end run, leading to some very expensive kipper bashing.....

Reaction score
Spinning is not any magic answer to the obvious problem. I fished the Dee for one day this week, the wind caused me some problems after 11:00 but I made some adjustments, learned some things and managed to fish some lovely fly water as good as I know how. I didn't feel like I wasn't in with a chance at any stage in the day and not once did I feel like I wished I had a spinning rod. If others had been spinning I would not have cared, paying rent and fishing you should be allowed to fish in a way that makes you happy, that you feel is appropriate for the conditions and that you feel is safe to do so.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
To me there seems to be an obvious lack of fish so far. Few rods out-yes. Spinning more productive at these conditions -yes. But the overall problem is very few fish in the river.

Awful weather and a late-ish run might also give an improving situation during spring, or not. Let's see.

The spring run on the Dee is mainly 2sw fish. And the river produces mainly 2 year old smolts. Based on the devastating effects of Storm Frank, we will with high probability see relatively few 2 sw springers this year. But hopefully there will be some 3 sw springers and som multiple spawning hens as usual to "top up". And the the grilse run might be better than the spring run and give some indication of next years 2sw springer run.

But as we all know, fish on avg need to spend more time at sea these days. So a lower percentage of the smolts return as grilse vs as multi sea winter fish.

gwelsher

Reaction score
Well done Phil :thumb::thumb:
I was up last week and know how difficult it is to catch one.

kenny007

Reaction score
Looks like the weather will settle a little next week with forcasted high pressure which brings it's own problems for fishers. The past 2 years we have been washed off by lunchtime with snow melt. Just hope the high coming over us gives us clear sky's at night so it take longer for the temp to creep up through the day. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

bkupris

Reaction score
I have a full week on 3 middle beats from Monday. The weather is going to be great, water height perfect and the fish will be cooperating ;-)

kenny007

Reaction score
I have a full week on 3 middle beats from Monday. The weather is going to be great, water height perfect and the fish will be cooperating ;-)
My freind and I will be on LB&K on Thu, Fri & Sat and staying at the Legeon. Say hello if our paths cross.
Kenny

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
The Dee seems to be fishing really bad with little being caught and what is being caught very poor size ( obviously Grilse).
Is the river too low for bigger fish to run?
I was looking to have a day this week.

phil.b

Reaction score
I would probably forget about it for a couple of days,although its not a big rise it will have that peaty acid in the water I would think.

Bakebare

Reaction score
As someone who has fished the dee for thirty odd years many different beats I have never seen such a lack of fish as the last few seasons.I now believe we are at crisis point and need to use hatcheries which I was not in favour of before.Had a couple of days on the Spey last week and on one beat saw more fish in the morning than I’ve seen on the dee in last three seasons.The dee board have their heads buried in the sand and are too busy putting deer legs in the water and planting trees.

SOS

Reaction score
The lack of fish is a worry for the Dee,but there is a double edge to the sword where by the amount of rods available for next week at 357 is or was unheard of a few years ago.
You can not fault the Dee board/trust for all the work they have put in to try and improve fish stocks,but as they have improved access and habitat for the Salmon they have relied on the fish to colonize or recolonize areas with improved access and or improved habitat,but with dwindling runs/ stocks it is like putting a run away train into reverse to try and stop it .
When they put a fish ladder and counter into the Culter burn where no Salmon had been above the dam for 200 years they had an opportunity to stock the burn which would tell us if stocking works or not,but as they are dead against hatcheries the chance was missed.
The worrying thing is that the Dee's neighbour the Don is also not doing to well this season and they shut their hatchery just when it was needed most.
I hope things pick up on both rivers but if not there has to be a change of mind and the use of hatcheries is considered before things get worse.