Aberdeenshire Dee 2019

(Smolt)

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading that, looks like some great effort all round :thumb:

midgydug

Reaction score
Fishpal dee latest catches

Is anyone else having problems getting on to the fishpal Dee latest catches page ?
I get the catches up for about 2 seconds then get a
page saying I have to register to get the catches sent
by email !!

The Opposition

Reaction score
Solved it for me

Clearly they have a few problems with the website. The old layout suits me. Hoping for a good year.

Ursus Nautilus

Reaction score
Mows : Is that at Ardoe and Murtle ?

Based on the last few years catches and the availability on FishDee I Guess the Fishing pressure is oin the low side now ?

Agree that the New FishPal site still is surprisingly little user friendly and that there seems to still be some problems.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Mows : Is that at Ardoe and Murtle ?

Based on the last few years catches and the availability on FishDee I Guess the Fishing pressure is oin the low side now ?

Agree that the New FishPal site still is surprisingly little user friendly and that there seems to still be some problems.
I can answer that for Mows - yes it is!

This coming week will be telling. There's big tides at present and there's been a decent lift in water (OK, I wasn't saying that on Friday afternoon when we got washed off!)

Here's hoping a few more fish show up.

JJ

Reaction score
I can answer that for Mows - yes it is!

This coming week will be telling. There's big tides at present and there's been a decent lift in water (OK, I wasn't saying that on Friday afternoon when we got washed off!)

Here's hoping a few more fish show up.
I got washed off Park on saturday- after all that anticipation and long drive, gutted!
As soon as I saw the falls of feugh, I knew it
Bah!

westie4566

Reaction score
I got washed off Park on saturday- after all that anticipation and long drive, gutted!
As soon as I saw the falls of feugh, I knew it
Bah!
Were you 'supposed' to be on North or South?

We're all gutted when we get washed off JJ. When the river was still fishable on Friday morning the conditions were brutal. Howling gale and torrential rain.

Unlike you, at least I was only half an hour from home......I still feel your pain though.

JJ

Reaction score
Were you 'supposed' to be on North or South?

We're all gutted when we get washed off JJ. When the river was still fishable on Friday morning the conditions were brutal. Howling gale and torrential rain.

Unlike you, at least I was only half an hour from home......I still feel your pain though.
North
Always nice to walk the Beats with the dog but so disappointed not to even string up the rod again - flooded off 5 times in last 9 attempts!

CharlesW

Reaction score
Does the apparent improvement in fry and parr densities in 2018 have anything to do with the low river levels? Assuming the number of fry and parr were the same as the previous year, in 2018 they would have been concentrated in an area approximately half that of the previous year. So the density per unit area would appear to be approximately twice that of the previous year. Just a thought.

mows

Reaction score
Does the apparent improvement in fry and parr densities in 2018 have anything to do with the low river levels? Assuming the number of fry and parr were the same as the previous year, in 2018 they would have been concentrated in an area approximately half that of the previous year. So the density per unit area would appear to be approximately twice that of the previous year. Just a thought.
Fair question, if anything half the area could be excessively conservative.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Yes I agree with what is being said. The very low water we had last summer may have distorted the figures and I have very little knowledge of the areas sampled but my anecdotal evidence is that last year on the main stem of the river there were far more parr and fry than I have seen for many years, and the low water would not have affected that observation. The ghillie we have on our beat also commented on the fact. We were also catching very fat brownies up to the pound mark and saw a few much bigger than that, which is something we have not see for many years. Something has changed! Long may it continue. Now if we could only sort out the FEBs, Seals, Dolphins, Porpoises, By Catch and Harbour Dredging god only knows how many salmon could be ascending the river in a few years time.

CharlesW

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that there were far more fry and parr in the main stem of the river. Around Banchory they were far more than I can remember for many years. Even down below Culter they were much in evidence; almost amounting to a nuisance when trying to catch their elder brethren.

phil.b

Reaction score
Third weekend in a row I have been up the Dee,the first 2 trips it was grued over or water over the bank but this was the first weekend of perfect water,I was all excited on Friday morning when I was on my way:nod: I went by the the new by-pass instead of taking the the slug road so as I was early i thought I would go down to Park bridge for a look at the water. I parked up on the south side and as i was walking to the bridge there was splash in at the side as i got closer I seen a common seal with a kelt in it's mouth:sad:well that's one way to deflate the excitement for the coming 2 days.I did manage a few kelts each day but the river looked like a morgue. I then got told Friday evening that the same seal has been up as far as lower Crathes for last 3-4 weeks and it has been chased down the river a few times hahaha what a joke chasing a seal:batty::batty:.I love the Dee but this is beyond a joke for me now and the lower beats have a cheek taking your money knowing that there is a seal going through their pools most days, springers are hard enough to catch.It will be interesting to see what happens this week,but i doubt there will be a fish caught on the lower river and i'm sure the middle beats will get fish as the seal or seals will be chasing them up to there:sad::sad:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
That’s grim Phil. Frustrating enough when you are champing at the bit and the grue comes along. If they knew about the seal they should be honest with the punters rather than hoping it goes away - and taking the cash - and should be offering a cancellation and refund. Clearly the Dee board will be out on the river banks with robust and harsh language shooing the invader away - or more drastically drifting around in a canoe waving a menacing paddle in a non aggressive manner toward sammy.

Hope it picks up for you, all the best Patrick

keirstream

Reaction score
Clearly the Dee board will be out on the river banks with robust and harsh language shooing the invader away - or more drastically drifting around in a canoe waving a menacing paddle in a non aggressive manner toward sammy.
Pretty radical ideas there Dr. P.
I like your style.
The Forth board recommended (and supplied for the purpose) laser pens to shine in their eyes which in their view would encourage the offending flippery fiends to rush headlong back to sea never to return.
Needless to say, they are now considering other remedies, but none, I believe, as drastic as yours.:thumb::thumb:

westie4566

Reaction score
Third weekend in a row I have been up the Dee,the first 2 trips it was grued over or water over the bank but this was the first weekend of perfect water,I was all excited on Friday morning when I was on my way:nod: I went by the the new by-pass instead of taking the the slug road so as I was early i thought I would go down to Park bridge for a look at the water. I parked up on the south side and as i was walking to the bridge there was splash in at the side as i got closer I seen a common seal with a kelt in it's mouth:sad:well that's one way to deflate the excitement for the coming 2 days.I did manage a few kelts each day but the river looked like a morgue. I then got told Friday evening that the same seal has been up as far as lower Crathes for last 3-4 weeks and it has been chased down the river a few times hahaha what a joke chasing a seal:batty::batty:.I love the Dee but this is beyond a joke for me now and the lower beats have a cheek taking your money knowing that there is a seal going through their pools most days, springers are hard enough to catch.It will be interesting to see what happens this week,but i doubt there will be a fish caught on the lower river and i'm sure the middle beats will get fish as the seal or seals will be chasing them up to there:sad::sad:
I feel your pain Phil -but I also know the utter frustration felt by the Dee Bailiffs re seals. I chat to them enough on the subject. The only folk to blame here are the bloody tree huggers. This common has been a pain in the ass for a while now. Sadly, because it's protected nothing 'proper' can be done to deal with it.

In the good old days any seal that far up would have been dealt with terminally.

We were blethering on this subject doon on the Northie today. It seems that everything that is thriving gets protection, yet the parr/smolts/salmon who really need protection are mere fodder for the thriving species.

It really boils my pee as much as yours.

cgaines10

Reaction score
Pretty radical ideas there Dr. P.
I like your style.
The Forth board recommended (and supplied for the purpose) laser pens to shine in their eyes which in their view would encourage the offending flippery fiends to rush headlong back to sea never to return.
Needless to say, they are now considering other remedies, but none, I believe, as drastic as yours.:thumb::thumb:
I take it the lasers didn't work then?

I feel your pain Phil -but I also know the utter frustration felt by the Dee Bailiffs re seals. I chat to them enough on the subject. The only folk to blame here are the bloody tree huggers. This common has been a pain in the ass for a while now. Sadly, because it's protected nothing 'proper' can be done to deal with it.

In the good old days any seal that far up would have been dealt with terminally.

We were blethering on this subject doon on the Northie today. It seems that everything that is thriving gets protection, yet the parr/smolts/salmon who really need protection are mere fodder for the thriving species.

It really boils my pee as much as yours.
Couldn't agree more! We have a nightmare on the Tees & have done for years. They are there all year round, and from June we usually have 9!

I hope you find a solution as we are struggling and the EA don't want to know.

All the best for the season anyway :)

Tight lines.