A year in the life of the Tay bbc2 7.15pm

Andrew B

Reaction score
Really enjoyed that. I was surprised they didn’t mention symbiotic thing going on with freshwater mussels and salmonids?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have just watched the program, very well done, quality filming, interesting, everything you want from a documentary, even without Sir David narrating!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Impressive presenter. 👍
Didn’t realise until afterwards that she is the ‘ h is for hawk ‘ author.
Yes she’s into hawking apparently. The stuff about certain patterns in nature being repeated really resonated with me?
She also called the salmon a living dinosaur which isn’t far off the mark? I’ve read that those huge Avon chalkstream fish have been running these rivers for goodness knows how long which is why they’re irreplaceable

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Not only do we have the king of fish we have the jewel in the crown of rivers and something we should be very proud of and do everything we can to make sure we keep it that way.
I have visited most places in the programme and been to the hatchery on a number of occasions, and again long may we hold onto it as I firmly believe it gives the king of fish a helping hand.
Unfortunately though Stevie Kaye has now retired but I really hope they get someone as passionate to take over the reigns.

goosander

Reaction score
Would like to see the hatchery given more publicity. D. Summers showed us round it a number of years ago. Thought it would be an interesting place for tourists but the cost of the health and safety measures was far to great. Just wish the Tay board would promote themselves more.
Bob.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Impressive presenter. 👍
Didn’t realise until afterwards that she is the ‘ h is for hawk ‘ author.
Neither did I. It was annoying me throughout trying to remember where I had seen her. That was captivating.
Cheers Diarmid.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Its amazing to see that the Tay Hatchery thinks its very beneficial to strip fish and rear them on, to keep on adding fish to the system.
Pity NRW did not carry it on but instead they shut the hatcheries down.

Maybe they could learn from the Tay.
Was 2020 a good year ?

Sewinfly.....................

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Its amazing to see that the Tay Hatchery thinks its very beneficial to strip fish and rear them on, to keep on adding fish to the system.
Pity NRW did not carry it on but instead they shut the hatcheries down.

Maybe they could learn from the Tay.
Was 2020 a good year ?

Sewinfly.....................
My pal who's out most days of the season and fishes lower Tay a lot said hes not seen a run of fish go up the Tay like that in years. He landed well over 100 salmon this season with only a hand fullof grilse. His biggest 18lb and that was with no spring fishing