A very talented artist.

westie4566

Reaction score
Met a chap called Brian a year ago when he started walking his new pup down at the river where I walk my two. Turns out that in his spare time he's a rather talented pencil drawer. I commissioned him a wee while back to do this one of Niamh from an old photo of her back in her days working.

To say I'm thrilled to bits is an understatement!!

(I gave him a few photo's to pick from and he chose this one as he'd never done a pheasant before and fancied the challenge)
Niamh drawing.jpg

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Met a chap called Brian a year ago when he started walking his new pup down at the river where I walk my two. Turns out that in his spare time he's a rather talented pencil drawer. I commissioned him a wee while back to do this one of Niamh from an old photo of her back in her days working.

(I gave him a few photo's to pick from and he chose this one as he'd never done a pheasant before and fancied the challenge)
View attachment 63729
Stunning Andy

westie4566

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning Andy 👌 I take it it's this pic

View attachment 63730

This is one of my favorites if her

View attachment 63731
It is indeed Arnold! Taken when she was trialling at Abbeystead Estate. Simon tells me she got a second that day.

I gave Brian the heather pic too thinking he'd choose it as it is a stunning pic - rather glad he went for the working one now!!

Hemmy

Reaction score
Superb….stunning……..he has nailed it….

no wonder you are over the moon 🐶

westie4566

Reaction score
Superb….stunning……..he has nailed it….

no wonder you are over the moon 🐶
Because he knows Niamh very well he resisted drawing her eyes obsidian black as the usually appear at first glance. He's hinted at their lovely deep. deep brown in his drawing. A very talented guy.

Southie21

Reaction score

View attachment 63729
A fantastic piece of art Westie4566, one to put on the wall for sure

Andrew B

Reaction score
“Very talented” is often overused these days and can mean all manner of things lol.
This however is my definition of very talented or better still extremely talented as the artist has captured that thing inside the dog imo.
My uncle is also a very talented artist and after years of graft was recognised by the royal academy. He too is brilliant at pen and ink ect and I just wish he could see how it’s all well and good making freaky abstract stuff which only he likes because he’d be so good at doing dogs and lifelike salmon and trout pics.

You’d have no qualms paying for a picture such as this and when you work out the hours you soon realise how good a deal it is. 👏👏👏 for the artist.

westie4566

Reaction score
“Very talented” is often overused these days and can mean all manner of things lol.
This however is my definition of very talented or better still extremely talented as the artist has captured that thing inside the dog imo.
My uncle is also a very talented artist and after years of graft was recognised by the royal academy. He too is brilliant at pen and ink ect and I just wish he could see how it’s all well and good making freaky abstract stuff which only he likes because he’d be so good at doing dogs and lifelike salmon and trout pics.

You’d have no qualms paying for a picture such as this and when you work out the hours you soon realise how good a deal it is. 👏👏👏 for the artist.
That was ridiculously cheap bearing in mind Brian's talent. Drawn and mounted ready for framing for £120. He has just put his prices up mind as myself and others told him he was underselling himself. He's now upped it to £180 per dog, still way to cheap. His slots are now booked for 2 months in advance.

I popped the pic up on a fieldsports page I'm involved in on Facepuke. I've already passed on Brian's details to about a dozen folk, many of whom just want a copy of my wee lass's drawing, lol.

In this instance, Brian himself would tell you that it helps knowing the dog. He's known Niamh for a year now, she loves him and he loves her, so he really knew what to capture in his drawing. He did that in spades (y)

Andrew B

Reaction score
That was ridiculously cheap bearing in mind Brian's talent. Drawn and mounted ready for framing for £120. He has just put his prices up mind as myself and others told him he was underselling himself. He's now upped it to £180 per dog, still way to cheap. His slots are now booked for 2 months in advance.

I popped the pic up on a fieldsports page I'm involved in on Facepuke. I've already passed on Brian's details to about a dozen folk, many of whom just want a copy of my wee lass's drawing, lol.

In this instance, Brian himself would tell you that it helps knowing the dog. He's known Niamh for a year now, she loves him and he loves her, so he really knew what to capture in his drawing. He did that in spades
Lol behave. Maybe I can understand that price for a friend or family but he may wanna consider deleating that price? Not for ethical reasons, more that he’s so good, that by the time he’s done a dozen more, the price will inevitably go up with the demand. My general way of things is to put myself down in all I do, but Art is one subject that I’m very confident in. As with most things the standards have dropped and Art is no exception but there’s no luck or a hole in one in being able to study the anatomy of a dog and draw it.
All makes sense now you say he’s known the dog for years as it really does show.
I can’t draw and so the next best thing for me was to study it. Had I not been a class clown at school and then made bad life choices, my day dream has always been an art critic, albeit I suspect it’s a very class orientated thing.

Long post I know but I probably knew this from the age of ten, regarding “Modern Art” not just being obviously s**t, but as we now know Modern Art was a created PsyOp or Psychological operation/propaganda created by the CIA to combat the rearing threat of the Cold War or something? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html
This is why I really appreciate seeing an artist n the top of his game as oppose to the Tracy Emin psy op modern art where people of influence pretend to see something in a dirty bed with soiled knickers, which by the way, if me or you tried to do it wouldn’t get praised or recognised as one has to be chosen to be in on the psy op.
So just to wrap it up, I’ve always known this about modern art since a child. Whereas art such as this, confirms that old adage that “if you like it so much, then there’s a good chance others will like it as well.

Andrew B

Reaction score
By the way, what a truly amazing dog Niamh is. Lovely pic in the heather but the pic next to the certificates and pheasant looks like she knows she’s the s**t lol. I reckon that’s only something found in working dogs as oppose to pet dogs?

wormo

Reaction score

View attachment 63729
stunning detail 👌

salmonstu.

Reaction score

View attachment 63729
That is outstanding mate..... genius