A Tay Shrimp Collection - The Black Arts

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Awesome job there Patrick! :cool::cool::cool:

Hope you are well and can get out to give them all a swim soon.

All the best.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Awesome Dr P I think Tony would be happy with them :thumb::fish2:

Cheers Phil, I hope all is good with you and family. Glad you like them, there again I hear you and Tony don’t choose which fly to use, you tell the salmon which one they are having ??.

phil.b

Reaction score
Cheers Phil, I hope all is good with you and family. Glad you like them, there again I hear you and Tony don’t choose which fly to use, you tell the salmon which one they are having ??.
Haha there are a few patterns there that have saved the blank;)

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Great work there from the Doc. Now for Ross Mac'D followed by Ally G and maybe Duncan E?!? ?

Cheers salmonaddict - Lol - I was mulling it over- Ross McD need good artic runner - and most artic runner I have or could buy is rubbish - anyone know of a good source? But some flamethrowers and some Ally G I could do with in the box.

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Cheers salmonaddict - Lol - I was mulling it over- Ross McD need good artic runner - and most artic runner I have or could buy is rubbish - anyone know of a good source? But some flamethrowers and some Ally G I could do with in the box.

Arctic Fox body fur is a very good substitute. I've been tying a lot of Parkys recently and have been using it to good effect. The body fur is a lot softer than tail and has long guard hairs ?

20200430_153708.jpg

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Cracking post DrPatrickT. Beautiful selection of flies. If I was pushed to pick a favourite it would be the Under Ghillie. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Diarmid.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic post and top notch fly's to go with it ???. A big Thank's Patrick for taking the time to put together such an informative post ? glad it's been made into a sticky ??

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic post and top notch fly's to go with it ???. A big Thank's Patrick for taking the time to put together such an informative post ? glad it's been made into a sticky ??

Cheers Lv10 - it means a lot to me that a tyer like yourself appreciates the post. All the best, Patrick

Greys007

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here's a collection of Tay Shrimp Flies by Tony Black (Murthly 2, Tay - fish magnet and superb fly tyer). I haven't tied all these patterns so thought I'd pull together a comprehensive set of instructions for myself - and also - tie them - and then share

If you want to go back and see tying tips and original articles- these are the ones I know of:

T&S 2009, August, page 84 - ‘Flies for all seasons’

T&S 2010, August , page 22 - ‘Born on the Tay’

T&S 2015, April, page 40 - ‘Chameleons catch Salmon,

What I like about Tony’s flies and why I recommend them is firstly they catch.

Secondly, they are relatively simple materials but with a lot going on - mix of colours, flash etc. (which I like). Everyone has bucktail - probably the most exotic feathers are Guinea fowl! So they are easily accessible to all tyers.

If you don't like JC and flash - perhaps look away now. Tony makes the point that he blends different flash to get different flickers of colour etc. - also, you can strip down the flash to suit how you like them

All the best, I hope it gives some food for thought.

Regards,

Patrick

Ghillie

View attachment 44351
View attachment 44337
View attachment 44336

Tronach

View attachment 44335
View attachment 44340

Stenton Shrimp

View attachment 44339
View attachment 44352

Murthly Marauder

View attachment 44343
View attachment 44342

UnderGhillie

View attachment 44341
View attachment 44346

Blackos Dee Special

View attachment 44345
View attachment 44344

Girnal

View attachment 44348
View attachment 44349

All together:

View attachment 44347

Tying Pattern Instructions:

Ghillie

Hook: Gold typical but any
Tag: oval gold
Tail: Orange buck, orange flash
Butt: glo brite 11 green (optional)
Body: half/half gold holo into black floss, gold oval rib
Wing: yellow squirrel few strands flash, some longer.
Throat: orange buck with dyed blue guinea fowl ( or use orange hackles instead or even both)
JC
Head: glo brite 3 or 4

Tronach

In the T&S version, this is a layered tying pattern- ie. black over red over yellow over orange. The ones I’ve seen tied tend to be more blended.

Hook: Silver! (Although I’ve seen black as well)
Tag: Silver oval
Tail: Blended orange and yellow bucktail ( in T&S version it’s an orange tail - the yellow coming from the first layer of the wing) - 2 orange and 2 red flash ( I use midge flash)
Butt: glow brite 11 green
Body: full silver holo or half/half with black floss - silver oval rib
Throat: blue buck ( or feather hackles)
Wing: should be yellow then red then black. I’ve gone for blend of yellow and red with yellow and red flash then smidge black buck over- pulling a few longer fibres further over
JC

Next two are more subdued for clearer water - and you can subdue further using a half/half body with tinsel and black floss - and go dark hook. They are roughly the same fly with the Guinea fowl option on the MM to be slightly brighter version.

Stenton Shrimp

Hook: any
Tag: oval silver
Tail: yellow and red buck
Butt: Glo brite 4 or 5
Body: layer of glo brite 3 or 4 with opal mirage over. Stripped orange cock wound down ( I think full looks a bit heavy on smaller flies) and then silver rib wound up. Option to subdue colours by making front part of body black floss.
Wing: yellow and black buck with 5-6 strands black midge flash over - allow a couple of longer strands to drift over.
Hackle: Black cock
JC: orange or sunburst
Head: GB 3 or 4.

Murthly Marauder

Tail: yellow, orange and black buck blend - but I tend to do Yellow/orange blend with smidge black over plus gold, yellow and black flash over
Butt: GB 4,5 or 11
Body: orange uni Mylar or same as Stenton shrimp. Stripped orange cock down and gold oval up over.
(Throat): not in the listed materials in T&S but looks like an orange and yellow buck throat
Wing: orange, yellow mixed buck with smidge black over 5-6 black flash
Hackle: dyed blue guinea fowl full hackle
Jc:eek:range or sunburst
Head: Red

Underghillie

Hook: gold or silver
Tag: hot yellow ultra wire
Tail: orange and yellow buck - gold, orange and yellow flash
Body: dubbed gold angel hair ribbed through with ultra wire
Throat: orange buck ( or cock) and blue Guinea fowl ( as per Ghillie)
Wing: Yellow, orange and black buck 5-6 strands black flash
JC
Head: Red or black ( to subdue)

Blackos Dee Special

Hook: any (although silver and black pref - black tube).
Tag: silver wire
Tail: yellow buck with yellow flash, smidge black over and 1 black flash
Body: opal mirage with silver wire rib
Throat: dyed blue squirrel
Wing: yellow buck with black buck over
Horns: Kingfisher blue flashabou or equivalent
Hackle: Black saddle
Head: kingfisher blue or equivalent

Girnal - this isn’t published so I’ve tried to decipher it:

Hook: pref silver (but gold too)
Tag: Silver oval tag
Butt: Red fluo 3 butt
Tail : Mix orange, yellow buck and red (smidge) with strands of orange and yellow flash
Body: Orange holo (original) body with silver oval rib - but note Silver holo also or do orange floss with opal mirage over.
Wing: think it's yellow and red blend buck and black buck as a smidge) and flash (think silver but i use orange, yellow or a fleck of orange krystal flash
Hackles: Small Orange over yellow cock
JC
Fluo 3 red head

Tying tip for all flies: with bucktail and squirrel it can be difficult to get tidy heads and throats - and on top of that a number of patterns use a floss head - so whatever happens expect a bigger head. The best way I’ve found to keep heads down in size, is to get your fibres tied in (2-3 wraps) so you are happy - then throw 3-4 wraps over that - tight. Then with thumb nail or scissors bend the fibres right back - they’ll stand proud of the eye allowing to tidy up better. Then unwrap your extra wraps and tidy up again. Other folk layer in a few fibres, one wrap, few fibres etc - so you aren’t then trying to manage a lot of bucktail as a final step.

Small trebles: there always tends to be some blood sacrifice whatever happens. That’s the voodoo of trebles to bless them ? but using hackles pliers to hold your wire for tags helps, as does folding your hackles - which helps reduce the need to smoothe the feather back to the points. Alternatively, use a trimmed toothbrush to stroke back hackle fibres when tying in. I doubt there is a single treble I’ve tied that hasn’t involve catching fingers.....
Fantastic flies ?

Wee Double

Reaction score
Just seen this thread it's great. Been tying for my trip in two weeks and got some inspiration.

I attempted the Stenton Shrimp after seeing in T&S, might still have a few in my box.

In fact, i've learned so much from all on here, thanks to all of you for sharing the art

WD

NoviceFly

Reaction score
WOW! Amazing flies Patrick. Must say the Tronach holds a special palce in my box, superb fly. I never knew Tony tied the Girnal though, the flies are beatifully tied and look like they would last a bit longer than a few casts too!

Markymac

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here's a collection of Tay Shrimp Flies by Tony Black (Murthly 2, Tay - fish magnet and superb fly tyer). I haven't tied all these patterns so thought I'd pull together a comprehensive set of instructions for myself - and also - tie them - and then share

If you want to go back and see tying tips and original articles- these are the ones I know of:

T&S 2009, August, page 84 - ‘Flies for all seasons’

T&S 2010, August , page 22 - ‘Born on the Tay’

T&S 2015, April, page 40 - ‘Chameleons catch Salmon,

What I like about Tony’s flies and why I recommend them is firstly they catch.

Secondly, they are relatively simple materials but with a lot going on - mix of colours, flash etc. (which I like). Everyone has bucktail - probably the most exotic feathers are Guinea fowl! So they are easily accessible to all tyers.

If you don't like JC and flash - perhaps look away now. Tony makes the point that he blends different flash to get different flickers of colour etc. - also, you can strip down the flash to suit how you like them

All the best, I hope it gives some food for thought.

Regards,

Patrick

Ghillie

View attachment 44351
View attachment 44337
View attachment 44336

Tronach

View attachment 44335
View attachment 44340

Stenton Shrimp

View attachment 44339
View attachment 44352

Murthly Marauder

View attachment 44343
View attachment 44342

UnderGhillie

View attachment 44341
View attachment 44346

Blackos Dee Special

View attachment 44345
View attachment 44344

Girnal

View attachment 44348
View attachment 44349

All together:

View attachment 44347

Tying Pattern Instructions:

Ghillie

Hook: Gold typical but any
Tail: Orange buck, orange flash
Butt: glo brite 11 green (optional)
Body: half/half gold holo into black floss, gold oval rib
Wing: yellow squirrel few strands flash, some longer.
Throat: orange buck with dyed blue guinea fowl ( or use orange hackles instead or even both)
JC

Tronach

In the T&S version, this is a layered tying pattern- ie. black over red over yellow over orange. The ones I’ve seen tied tend to be more blended.

Hook: Silver! (Although I’ve seen black as well)
Tag: Silver oval
Tail: Blended orange and yellow bucktail ( in T&S version it’s an orange tail - the yellow coming from the first layer of the wing) - 2 orange and 2 red flash ( I use midge flash)
Butt: glow brite 11 green
Body: full silver holo or half/half with black floss - silver oval rib
Throat: blue buck ( or feather hackles)
Wing: should be yellow then red then black. I’ve gone for blend of yellow and red with yellow and red flash then smidge black buck over- pulling a few longer fibres further over
JC

Next two are more subdued for clearer water - and you can subdue further using a half/half body with tinsel and black floss - and go dark hook. They are roughly the same fly with the Guinea fowl option on the MM to be slightly brighter version.

Stenton Shrimp

Tag: oval silver
Tail: yellow and red buck
Butt: Glo brite 4 or 5
Body: layer of glo brite 3 or 4 with opal mirage over. Stripped orange cock wound down ( I think full looks a bit heavy on smaller flies) and then silver rib wound up. Option to subdue colours by making front part of body black floss.
Wing: yellow and black buck with 5-6 strands black midge flash over - allow a couple of longer strands to drift over.
Hackle: Black cock
JC: orange or sunburst
Head: GB 3 or 4.

Murthly Marauder

Tail: yellow, orange and black buck blend - but I tend to do Yellow/orange blend with smidge black over plus gold, yellow and black flash over
Butt: GB 4,5 or 11
Body: orange uni Mylar or same as Stenton shrimp. Stripped orange cock down and gold oval up over.
(Throat): not in the listed materials in T&S but looks like an orange and yellow buck throat
Wing: orange, yellow mixed buck with smidge black over 5-6 black flash
Hackle: dyed blue guinea fowl full hackle
Jc:eek:range or sunburst
Head: Red

Underghillie

Hook: gold or silver
Tag: hot yellow ultra wire
Tail: orange and yellow buck - gold, orange and yellow flash
Body: dubbed gold angel hair ribbed through with ultra wire
Throat: orange buck ( or cock) and blue Guinea fowl ( as per Ghillie)
Wing: Yellow, orange and black buck 5-6 strands black flash
JC
Head: Red or black ( to subdue)

Blackos Dee Special

Hook: any (although silver and black pref - black tube).
Tag: silver wire
Tail: yellow buck with yellow flash, smidge black over and 1 black flash
Body: opal mirage with silver wire rib
Throat: dyed blue squirrel
Wing: yellow buck with black buck over
Horns: Kingfisher blue flashabou or equivalent
Hackle: Black saddle
Head: kingfisher blue or equivalent

Girnal - this isn’t published so I’ve tried to decipher it:

Hook: pref silver (but gold too)
Tag: Silver oval tag
Butt: Red fluo 3 butt
Tail : Mix orange, yellow buck and red (smidge) with strands of orange and yellow flash
Body: Orange holo (original) body with silver oval rib - but note Silver holo also or do orange floss with opal mirage over.
Wing: think it's yellow and red blend buck and black buck as a smidge) and flash (think silver but i use orange, yellow or a fleck of orange krystal flash
Hackles: Small Orange over yellow cock
JC
Fluo 3 red head

Tying tip for all flies: with bucktail and squirrel it can be difficult to get tidy heads and throats - and on top of that a number of patterns use a floss head - so whatever happens expect a bigger head. The best way I’ve found to keep heads down in size, is to get your fibres tied in (2-3 wraps) so you are happy - then throw 3-4 wraps over that - tight. Then with thumb nail or scissors bend the fibres right back - they’ll stand proud of the eye allowing to tidy up better. Then unwrap your extra wraps and tidy up again. Other folk layer in a few fibres, one wrap, few fibres etc - so you aren’t then trying to manage a lot of bucktail as a final step.

Small trebles: there always tends to be some blood sacrifice whatever happens. That’s the voodoo of trebles to bless them ? but using hackles pliers to hold your wire for tags helps, as does folding your hackles - which helps reduce the need to smoothe the feather back to the points. Alternatively, use a trimmed toothbrush to stroke back hackle fibres when tying in. I doubt there is a single treble I’ve tied that hasn’t involve catching fingers.....
What a great selection of flies ? well done great post