A Tay Shrimp Collection - The Black Arts

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here's a collection of Tay Shrimp Flies by Tony Black (Murthly 2, Tay - fish magnet and superb fly tyer). I haven't tied all these patterns so thought I'd pull together a comprehensive set of instructions for myself - and also - tie them - and then share

If you want to go back and see tying tips and original articles- these are the ones I know of:

T&S 2009, August, page 84 - ‘Flies for all seasons’

T&S 2010, August , page 22 - ‘Born on the Tay’

T&S 2015, April, page 40 - ‘Chameleons catch Salmon,

What I like about Tony’s flies and why I recommend them is firstly they catch.

Secondly, they are relatively simple materials but with a lot going on - mix of colours, flash etc. (which I like). Everyone has bucktail - probably the most exotic feathers are Guinea fowl! So they are easily accessible to all tyers.

If you don't like JC and flash - perhaps look away now. Tony makes the point that he blends different flash to get different flickers of colour etc. - also, you can strip down the flash to suit how you like them

All the best, I hope it gives some food for thought.

Regards,

Patrick

Ghillie

IMG_0729_totm.JPG
Ghillie double.JPG
Ghillie treb 2.JPG

Tronach

Tronach double.JPG
Tronach treble.JPG

Stenton Shrimp

Stenton Shrimp double.JPG
Stenton Shrimp treble 2.JPG

Murthly Marauder

Murthly Marauder double 2.JPG
Muthly Marauder - treb.JPG

UnderGhillie

UnderGhillie Double.JPG
Underghillie treb 2.JPG

Blackos Dee Special

Blackos Dee Special Double.JPG
Blackos Dee Special 14 treb.jpg

Girnal

Girnal mylar treb.JPG
Girnal gold holo treb.JPG

All together:

The Collection.jpg

Tying Pattern Instructions:

Ghillie

Hook: Gold typical but any
Tag: oval gold
Tail: Orange buck, orange flash
Butt: glo brite 11 green (optional)
Body: half/half gold holo into black floss, gold oval rib
Wing: yellow squirrel few strands flash, some longer.
Throat: orange buck with dyed blue guinea fowl ( or use orange hackles instead or even both)
JC
Head: glo brite 3 or 4

Tronach

In the T&S version, this is a layered tying pattern- ie. black over red over yellow over orange. The ones I’ve seen tied tend to be more blended.

Hook: Silver! (Although I’ve seen black as well)
Tag: Silver oval
Tail: Blended orange and yellow bucktail ( in T&S version it’s an orange tail - the yellow coming from the first layer of the wing) - 2 orange and 2 red flash ( I use midge flash)
Butt: glow brite 11 green
Body: full silver holo or half/half with black floss - silver oval rib
Throat: blue buck ( or feather hackles)
Wing: should be yellow then red then black. I’ve gone for blend of yellow and red with yellow and red flash then smidge black buck over- pulling a few longer fibres further over
JC
Head: glo brite 3 or 4

Next two are more subdued for clearer water - and you can subdue further using a half/half body with tinsel and black floss - and go dark hook. They are roughly the same fly with the Guinea fowl option on the MM to be slightly brighter version.

Stenton Shrimp

Hook: any
Tag: oval silver
Tail: yellow and red buck
Butt: Glo brite 4 or 5
Body: layer of glo brite 3 or 4 with opal mirage over. Stripped orange cock wound down ( I think full looks a bit heavy on smaller flies) and then silver rib wound up. Option to subdue colours by making front part of body black floss.
Wing: yellow and black buck with 5-6 strands black midge flash over - allow a couple of longer strands to drift over.
Hackle: Black cock
JC: orange or sunburst
Head: GB 3 or 4.

Murthly Marauder

Hook: any
Tag: oval gold
Tail: yellow, orange and black buck blend - but I tend to do Yellow/orange blend with smidge black over plus gold, yellow and black flash over
Butt: GB 4,5 or 11
Body: orange uni Mylar or same as Stenton shrimp. Stripped orange cock down and gold oval up over.
(Throat): not in the listed materials in T&S but looks like an orange and yellow buck throat
Wing: orange, yellow mixed buck with smidge black over 5-6 black flash
Hackle: dyed blue guinea fowl full hackle
Jc:eek:range or sunburst
Head: Red

Underghillie

Hook: gold or silver
Tag: hot yellow ultra wire
Tail: orange and yellow buck - gold, orange and yellow flash
Body: dubbed gold angel hair ribbed through with ultra wire
Throat: orange buck ( or cock) and blue Guinea fowl ( as per Ghillie)
Wing: Yellow, orange and black buck 5-6 strands black flash
JC
Head: Red or black ( to subdue)

Blackos Dee Special

Hook: any (although silver and black pref - black tube).
Tag: silver wire
Tail: yellow buck with yellow flash, smidge black over and 1 black flash
Body: opal mirage with silver wire rib
Throat: dyed blue squirrel
Wing: yellow buck with black buck over
Horns: Kingfisher blue flashabou or equivalent
Hackle: Black saddle
Head: kingfisher blue or equivalent

Girnal - this isn’t published so I’ve tried to decipher it:

Hook: pref silver (but gold too)
Tag: Silver oval tag
Butt: Red fluo 3 butt
Tail : Mix orange, yellow buck and red (smidge) with strands of orange and yellow flash
Body: Orange holo (original) body with silver oval rib - but note Silver holo also or do orange floss with opal mirage over.
Wing: think it's yellow and red blend buck and black buck as a smidge) and flash (think silver but i use orange, yellow or a fleck of orange krystal flash
Hackles: Small Orange over yellow cock
JC
Fluo 3 red head

Tying tip for all flies: with bucktail and squirrel it can be difficult to get tidy heads and throats - and on top of that a number of patterns use a floss head - so whatever happens expect a bigger head. The best way I’ve found to keep heads down in size, is to get your fibres tied in (2-3 wraps) so you are happy - then throw 3-4 wraps over that - tight. Then with thumb nail or scissors bend the fibres right back - they’ll stand proud of the eye allowing to tidy up better. Then unwrap your extra wraps and tidy up again. Other folk layer in a few fibres, one wrap, few fibres etc - so you aren’t then trying to manage a lot of bucktail as a final step.

Small trebles: there always tends to be some blood sacrifice whatever happens. That’s the voodoo of trebles to bless them ? but using hackles pliers to hold your wire for tags helps, as does folding your hackles - which helps reduce the need to smoothe the feather back to the points. Alternatively, use a trimmed toothbrush to stroke back hackle fibres when tying in. I doubt there is a single treble I’ve tied that hasn’t involve catching fingers.....

porteouz

Reaction score
Fantastic post, I wonder how many fish those flies have taken over the years!

mc andy

Reaction score
That is above and beyond Dr Patrick! Stunning selection of flys and thanks for taking the time to share. Given I have fished on Tony's beat I feel embarrassed to say a couple of those patterns are new to me:D. Every days a school day.

Many thanks for sharing.

Stay safe andy.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
That is above and beyond Dr Patrick! Stunning selection of flys and thanks for taking the time to share. Given I have fished on Tony's beat I feel embarrassed to say a couple of those patterns are new to me:D. Every days a school day.

Many thanks for sharing.

Stay safe andy.

Cheers McAndy - I’d not tied a few of them so thought I’d give them a blast. It’s definitely given me a few ideas - especially with opal mirage over different flosses.

Sprintavoj

Reaction score
fantastic !!

All proper fishing flies and inspired me to get back into the tying room :thumb:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thread of the year!!!!

What a comprehensive and well illustrated post. I have just flicked through it but will explore it in great detail after my tea.

Beautiful tying by the way and ill look forward to reading it properly.

Many thanks in the meantime for taking the time to put that all together!

Thank you! :)

ibm59

Reaction score
Thread of the year!!!!

What a comprehensive and well illustrated post. I have just flicked through it but will explore it in great detail after my tea.

Perhaps you too should be doing a compilation post , Richard. ?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thread of the year!!!!

Cheers JS - I hope there’s some ideas in there for you. It’s definitely given me a respect for Bucktail! I know it’ll be heresy but I’m thinking some of the body colour splits would work well in Irish shrimps. All the best and thanks for your support - I always look forward to seeing your own creations.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Fantastic post!!!!!
Thanks DrP, I'll have a bash at these next I think.
Excellent work:thumb:

Andrzej

Reaction score
Excellent flies and very well tied. I'll copy some of them. Thanks for posting Sir :D