A Sunday sunny day cast.

minitube

Reaction score
Got to try the 13'6' Igniter, 8 weight on Sunday. Lough Conn very high but it was squally where we could get in so eventually we went to Lough Cuĺlin where it was more sheltered. Glorious sunshine and warm in it, if in the shelter out of the cold wind.
I'm not overly into doing rod reviews as its personal choice at the end of the day and I like a lot of different rods. This is a good one, a Spey casting rod.

Then I also got to cast the 9ft 8 weight single hand Igniter. A beautiful piece of kit. I only get casting this type of gear because people turn up for instruction with it.

Conn and Culin very high in water level, Mt Nephin looking glorious as usual.

A bit of shelter and sun on Cullins shore.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I have the igniter 8136 myself and it is probably one of my favourites. My only slight criticism would be that it needs a fair lump of reel to balance it. I'm currently using a Sage Evoke 10 on it and that matches up well along with my loop mega loop. The Gael force 54ft 8/9 line goes well on it and another favourite is a 7/8 hardy mach.
It would be interesting to hear what lines you tried on the 8136 Robert if you don't mind.

Thanks
Conehead

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
I also have the 8136. I agree it likes a heavy reel. I was using a Hardy perfect 4.25 when I used it last year And the loop classic 811 feels a good balance too. I liked the Rio SVT 9wt on it. 600gr skagit was also good.
its a very nice rod imo and not the stiff poker I was expecting. I may have to try the guideline 54ft if I get fishing this year

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I also have the 8136. I agree it likes a heavy reel. I was using a Hardy perfect 4.25 when I used it last year And the loop classic 811 feels a good balance too. I liked the Rio SVT 9wt on it. 600gr skagit was also good.
its a very nice rod imo and not the stiff poker I was expecting. I may have to try the guideline 54ft if I get fishing this year
Hi Neil I use the gaelforce 8/9 54ft on the 8136, goes really well!
Not sure I fancy trying a 600 grain skagit on it. I have used the 600 grain skagit on its bigger brother the 9140 and that seems okay. As you rightly point out it's definitely not a poker.
Findhorn Conehead

Neil W

Reaction score
Hi Neil I use the gaelforce 8/9 54ft on the 8136, goes really well!
Not sure I fancy trying a 600 grain skagit on it. I have used the 600 grain skagit on its bigger brother the 9140 and that seems okay. As you rightly point out it's definitely not a poker.
Findhorn Conehead
Thanks Geoff I may have to try the Gaelforce as that line gets great reviews. The skagit works for me as I tend to like how the Americans load rods as that was how I was taught to fish skagits in Argentina. With double Spey or Perry poke/ snap T the 600 is excellent. I would use a 660 on the 9wt although not even tried my 9wt rod yet. It’s what I have used on the X 9wt and the sage one before it. Just want to get fishing to try this stuff now.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Thanks Neil, maybe I should try a 600 on the 8136, you never know I might like it!
Can't wait to get out myself, got a new line that I want to try on the 9140 igniter. Bought a gaelforce 9/10 integrated hover line 39g. Going to try the same line on my RJC 101311.

Findhorn Conehead