A seriously big salmon

marty31

Reaction score
After what might well be described as the worst salmon fishing season in living memory, with the tweed being no exception! I needed something to give me even the slightest little bit interest in the season very soon to follow.
The marty 31 archive photo album had to come out of mothballs (again). The year was 2005 September the fifth the first full year we took over the fishings at Waltham & dritness on the bottom tweed. I decided I craved solitude that day so on my own in the boat I rowed down to a pool very seldom fished (too far to walk) a pool with no flow for the fly, except for a very small envelope when the tide is on the ebb, and this was all taken into consideration! after maybe 20 mins a good fish took! a one inch yellow "pot bellied pig" did the trick, a good 45 minute fight was to follow! on my own, in a boat, the fish was in the end netted and weighed in at a tage over 29lb it was 42.5 inches long. the fish obviously a cock looked to have been in the river for around a month, this ties in with a run of big salmon (25-40lb) that comes into the bottom tweed every season (except this miserable one) at the last week in july and stay with us for 4-6 weeks depending on water.
The salmon won me the t&s fish of the month & a prize of a diawa 15ft fly rod if it had been one pound more it would have gained me membership into the privileged farlows "serious salmon fly fishers club" at the burgundy tie level, but it wasn't so I will have to try harder! and that will spur me on next season when i am freezing to the bone! that and the knowledge that the water that I am fishing is well capable of producing salmon far bigger than that fish!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 945

I think that fish might have been chapped. you can tell by the eye not looking down :mad::mad:

***JOKING!***

Bradan_eire_alba

Reaction score
Marty great story and photo. Thanks for sharing. Has certainly wet the appetite for the new season. Looking forward to about March. Fishing before that isn't spring but winter :).

marty31

Reaction score
Marty great story and photo. Thanks for sharing. Has certainly wet the appetite for the new season. Looking forward to about March. Fishing before that isn't spring but winter :).
middle of march, for us bradan, you are dead right, and that's if the water goes down to under 2ft, even then its 1 hour fishing & then 1 hour in the hut with the stove stoked up with coal and logs, even then we don't get many march fish, its normally april-early may before the book gets blessed with ink:cool:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Belter of a fish Marty and a cracking wee adventure story 2 go with it well done, I live in hope of catching something like that mibi next season :)

Merry Christmas and a happy New year when it comes

D

Dunbar

What a fish and story! A few nice meals too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
You can tell that's a proper fish by the look on your face trying to hold it up! That would be one of the very last ever 29 and a bit pounders ever caught. Well done, a fabulous catch.

Last edited:

salmon11

Reaction score
Well done on this stunning fish and nice story,looking forward to next season:D

marty31

Reaction score
How we neva seen that bad boy before marty!
not got that many pics of past catches, never bothered much with cameras! so the "archive" is not that extensive and therefore have to be fed in slowly. it goes a bit like liddels "when they are gone, they are gone":cool: there should have been a pic taken of the lads faces, when, they were eating their lunch in the hut and I rowed up and dragged that out, and humped it up to get weighed:eek:

Bonito

Reaction score
Snap (almost) but from a lot longer back when I had brown rather than grey hair (April 1985).

Had been fishing the R. Leven at Stuchie Bridge and covering a small fish for quite a while. Baliffs came along for a chat and as I was talking to them with my back to the water I heard the wee fish splash again so without really thinking I cast almost backwards and made a cock up ending about 20-30ft further downstream from the area I had been covering. The yellow belly hardly had time to make a splash when this chappie hit me, hard. Possibly it had been lying there unseen or had just moved in but for once, right place at the right time. 12lb mono so 40 mins and a few hundred yards downstream at the Chapel Hole the baliff gaffed it for me. Was weighed about 2 hrs later at the tackle shop so no idea what weight it would have been if weighed immediately ( I like to think over the magic 30 but hey ho!.

marty31

Reaction score
that's one fine fish, bonito! from what you can see it looks every bit its claimed size, you want to take that pic up to boleside and show them up there what a genuine sized up fish looks like:D not that you can tell by the newspaper pic but there are still indications that it is in good condition (you don't need coloured pictures) I bet the capture of that fish is still as fresh in your mind today as it was 30 long years ago, back to my own, at the time I thought that my fish was the nearest to the elusive mr 30lber that I was going to get in my busy little lifetime:) but low and behold how wrong that I was!!!! 8 productive seasons later:D my ambition was fulfilled with a sealiced 31pounder, some might say (and have) that I am lucky! and who is to say they are wrong, my second fish was caught on the unpopular flying c so again eluded me membership of this exclusive "serious big salmon club" but the next goal has to be as always one over 30 on fly, and next season, who knows? might well be the season, that it happens:cool:

Bonito

Reaction score
Well done on breaking the 30 Marty, Flying C or not who cares.

My first choice is always fly but I`m just as happy with worm or spinners if conditions dictate.

Fly, after all, is just spinning with a thick string .;);)

zephead

Reaction score
I bet it have you a serious scrap.

I have had hold of two very big Tweed summer fish that ran me ragged, both lost, after half an hour or so. You'd wonder where they came from when the rest of the day has been spent catching grilse.

marty31

Reaction score
I bet it have you a serious scrap.

I have had hold of two very big Tweed summer fish that ran me ragged, both lost, after half an hour or so. You'd wonder where they came from when the rest of the day has been spent catching grilse.
they both sound very good fish and you have been very unlucky to have lost both of them. the netsmen who once netted our bottom river water first told me of this run of big summer salmon, the run is normally in the last week in july, if the water is low we get them, if high they run through and get lost in the system, the main thing against catching them is the water temp, I have seen a pic of one netsman holding a brace of 38pounders which in july one does wonder where they came from, at this time of the summer you are expecting small grilse/seatrout then you hook one of these monsters, last year for six weeks after I got mine, our main pool was loaded with salmon all around and larger than mine, but once settled in near impossible to catch, big water didn't shift them, they ran the river when the time was right for them.