A selection of shrimps designed by Ally Gowan

SnapT14

Reaction score
Thought I'd tie a few of Ally's famous shrimp patterns this morning. Thought out and tied by Ally Gowan, his famous shrimps must be regarded as some of the most popular, well known and above all productive long tailed shrimp patterns in salmon fishing, not just in Scotland,but the world over.

With the emergence of more modern, mobile materials we are seeing less and less of them appear on the forum with people tending to favour flies like Park and Calvin Shrimps or the like. That said I have little doubt that Ally's shrimp varients and cascades still occupy at least one row in every members fly boxes to this day. They are dependable and are proven to catch fish after all. My boxes are full of them (y)

20200905_122627.jpg

20200905_122657.jpg

First up - The orange Ally Shrimp

Tag - small silver oval
Thread - Uni 8/0
Tail- orange buck tail with a couple of strands of crystal flash
Body - half red / half black floss
Rib - small silver oval
Veilings - grey squirrel
Wing - orange GP topping
Hackle - orange cock

20200905_121822.jpg

Next up, a Cascade!

Tag - small oval silver
Tail- equal mix of yellow and orange bucktail with a couple of strands of crystal flash
Body - half silver tinsel / half black floss
Rib - small oval silver
Wing - black squirrel ( this one has a fox wing )
Hackles - orange over yellow cock
Thread - uni 8/0 black

20200905_122233.jpg

Next, a yellow Ally Shrimp

Tag - small silver oval
Tail- yellow bucktail with a couple of strands of crystal flash
Body - half yellow / half black floss ( I believe it can also be done half silver / half black ). Please excuse me if I've got it wrong
Rib - small silver oval
Veilings - grey squirrel
Wing - natural GP topping feather
Hackle - yellow cock
Thread - uni 8/0 black

20200905_121900.jpg

Next a Red Ally Shrimp

Tag - small silver oval
Tail - Red bucktail with a couple of strands of red crinkle flash
Body - half red / half black floss
Rib - small silver oval
Veilings - grey squirrel
Wing - dyed red GP topping feather ( personal preference ) I used to use natural
Hackle - red cock
Thread - uni 8/0 red

20200905_122426.jpg

And last is a varient of my own. Basically, i was trying to tie a standard Allys one day and made the mistake of getting the body colours back to front. Then I realised I had the wrong colour oval tinsel?‍♂️. It was gold, not silver. By this time it was too late so decided on my own version. This was then added to with 2 x Orange GP topping ( stacked piggyback, like a General practitioner ) and finished with an orange badger hackle.

I have since caught a fish on it ?

Tag - small oval gold
Tail - orange bucktail
Body - half black / half red floss
Rib - small oval gold
Wing - 2 x GP toppings, one tied half length above the first.
20200905_125356.jpg
Hackle - orange badger
Thread - uni 8/0 red

20200905_122512.jpg

If ive messed up on any of the dressings then I apologise. I was inspired to do this after seeing the recent thread on Ross McDonald's flies and also by Dr Patrick's fantastic one on Tay shrimp flies. If ever there was a tyer more deserving of some form of tribute than Ally Gowan then i dont know who they are ....

These are all tied on Nordic #10 doubles

Hope you all enjoy, tight lines ? :)

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Is that all ye tied? Chris Mann's book must have 3 full pages of Allys and variants!!! ?

Only messing sir! ?

Super tying and another excellent addition to the great threads of the forum. ?

SnapT14

Reaction score
I know....should have delayed it a few months and tied one varient per day......

?

I was tempted to add a silver Ally..... but three young boys put an end to that.

Thanks muchly

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The cascade and original orange Ally’s were the two flies that took my recent salmon on the Eachaig. I wouldn’t be without them in my box and I love all of the versions you have tied?

ArchieL

Reaction score
Dont tell anyone but i have right good few of these in a pouch and they are only used when for some weird reason the GBWG has not done the buisness :) All crackers and well worth having in your box.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
A cracking post Nathan ?? with your usual top quality tying ? I also quite like your accidental variant ?
I've a cpl of boxes full of Mr gowans patterns, I used to do quite well with the yellow allysshrimp on my local but for some reason I've not fished it for some time now

Thank's for taking the time to put this thread together and hopefully it also get's made onto a sticky ??

Andrzej

Reaction score
Great flies, I very like fishing with Ally's Shrimp and Cascade, thanks for posting SnapT14 (y) On Ally's I had my first ever salmon... after some 6 months of trying ?

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Superb post and lovely tying??
Everyone need a handfull of Ally's in their box.
Cheers
Cb

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
What a cracking collection - they look brilliant and a fine tribute to an emblematic fly! Superbly tied - like that derivative of yours - there is something about GP toppings that always looks super shrimpy. Very nice - I feel another sticky is necessary - and hope it inspires other folk to pull together collections ( need someone to do Spey, Tweed and Irish Shrimps for a starter for 10). All the best, Patrick

SnapT14

Reaction score
Although I'm not sure if globrite heads and blingy tails would maybe cause him unfixable mental scaring..... ? ? ?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Although I'm not sure if globrite heads and blingy tails would maybe cause him unfixable mental scaring..... ? ? ?

If I tied every Irish shrimp in existence, that would cause me some mental scaring alone, even without Glo Brite heads and bling!!! ??

Need to try something though. The tying bug isn't in great form at the minute. ?