A play around Scandi Style

SnapT14

Reaction score
fancied a go at one tied scandi style using stacked fox wings and soft hackles. Not really accustomed to tying flies of this style so its defo a work in progress. I dont think this is any specific pattern but I did aim for an autumnal look. The overall presentation is about 2 inches which makes it pretty big so I stuck a tungsten cone on the front so that I can use it in the big autumn waters I hope to get before close of play.

Whilst tying I had a play with making my own dubbing blend. I used some red seals fur mixed with copper and bronze lite bite. I then added some underfur from my hot orange boar bristle patch ( that stuff is excellent for dubbing bigger tubes )

20200911_183452.jpg20200911_183555.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That's lovely!!! 😮👍

Without a tail, perhaps another layer on top as an Overwing may help to balance it out more? 🤔

Someone with more knowledge than myself might be able to advise?

SnapT14

Reaction score
Thanks Richard. I think its the tube itself. Body section is a little long so it looks almost short of a wing if that makes sense.

(y)

sgellert

Reaction score
It looks a little like the fly a German guy used on Iceland, which was extremely effective, nice one.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Lovely stuff - Andrzej posted some piggies using the underfur off a boar bristle patch a while back - and loved the look then- super shrimpy - and seeing it on a bigger format you've tied- reinforces that I need to get it incorporated into a fly. That's a belter.