A new rod to play with...

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Some of you may remember me hunting down a 13'6 #8/9 that I could easily fit in the car/suitcase unlike my existing rod, because many of you came up with some excellent suggestions. As it turned out though I really struggled to find what I was after and so I widened the search to include 13' rods. That took me back to a thought I'd originally had which was to have Gordon (The Flying Scotsman) build me a rod, something I had originally discounted as his 8/9 was not 13'6" . Having made some enquiries and opened up the conversation I quickly made my mind up and so began the long process of designing my look under the sage guidance of Gordon.

My initial thoughts following the discussion were captured by me with a bit of copying and pasting to show Gordon where my thinking was which progressed as time went on, oh and do you think you could find me some stripping rings with coloured centre? I've added a photo along the lines of what I'd like. I'm sure he said thank you for that extra wee challenge after hanging up :ROFLMAO:
Design idea end.png

Having had a discussion around the different weights of cork and how they would impact on the balance, we agreed a few tweaks. It then wasn't long before photo's of progress were arriving so that I could accept or further tweak the design as the build progressed. In fact it wasn’t at all long after we started that photo's and a video of the handle being turned were received and it all started to feel very real as the final image appeared. A big step on from feeling like a wee bairn with his face pressed up against the sweetie shop window!

rod being turned.png

finished handle.png

Having seen how lovely that was my initial thought of the rod having an understated sort of look disappeared leading to the addition of metallic threads for the wrapping and the ultimate design I made up as above. Again communication was excellent and it was clear that Gordon is a perfectionist going beyond the call of duty to hit perfection when it came to the lettering and everything else.
rod wraps.png

Finally though the day came when along with a photo I got the message: what's your address Iain? Me...o_O:eek::D:oops::giggle::unsure:o_O:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:love::love::love::love:
final rod.png

The rod arrived safe and sound and very quickly and just as quickly that wee bairn's dreams came true as the sweetie tube was opened and I got my hands on the rod for the first time, gave it the first waggle in the garden and then headed across to the local playing fields with my wives words ringing in my ears "You're quite a saddo really aren't you, its just a rod" :oops::oops::oops:

The balance was perfect and the initial waggle demonstrated the progressive curve that I managed to capture at full flex having jammed my phone into the hedge
9E66E054-A18E-4C0C-A043-A1BEE1C5B42C.jpeg

BF5029A8-ED9F-4322-98D7-1CB934D8634F.jpeg

I then decided that it would be rude not to go fishing and so that night after my long suffering wife agreed another delay to all my promised chores, the alarm was set for 3am for a jaunt across to Wales. Clearly it had to be done because casting over grass is no substitute to being on the water and if I didn’t the rod would surely fade into non existence… wouldn’t it?! 😁

25461999-67D5-4610-81BE-FB76780CD975.jpeg

I would love to be able to finish this up with a photo or video of a 20lb salmon bending it to the but. However, finding that elusive, Welsh, spring salmon is remaining, well....elusive! As you can see though in the video posted below the easy casting style of the rod, which is light in the hand, makes it a pleasure to use although it did take me a few casts to get used to the progressive action so that I didn't blow my anchor or fail to get the direction of the cast right and avoid crossing my line. The adjustment was soon made though and I quickly found that I could send out a longer line, far more easily than with my stiffer rod and that it handled the gusty upstream wind far better as well. It's a great addition to my collection that not only looks great, but is also forgiving of my awful casting stroke!!

13'6? My wife is wrong, that extra 6" I initially wanted really was not important, 13' is where it’s at and this #8/9 is bang on.

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Clearly blue and white are your colours! Very smart. Which blank did you select?
Just finished editing above. I went with the #8/9 , 13' . One of Gordon's own design which in the sunlight has a beautiful dark, smoky grey look to the visible wraps of carbon which sit perfectly with the gunmetal reel seat and thread colours. I would say that though as they were my choice!

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Looks great.

Wish you all the very best of luck with it Iain. May your arms ache from playing so many fish on it! 😉😁
Thanks Richard. It will be going to the Dee with me at the end of June when I fish the challenge and so if the Welsh salmon haven't played ball by then (..and the river is still in flood for a second weekend on the trot :confused: ) hopefully the Scottish ones will take pity on me!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks Richard. It will be going to the Dee with me at the end of June when I fish the challenge and so if the Welsh salmon haven't played ball by then (..and the river is still in flood for a second weekend on the trot :confused: ) hopefully the Scottish ones will take pity on me!

No fear of the rivers here being in flood anyway. Just nuisance rain here.

The North West of Northern Ireland is a big area for cricket. The matches used to get great crowds and my dad's uncle followed one of the local teams everywhere.

One of his great sayings was that you know its a bad year when it's too wet for cricket and too dry for fishing! It is definitely one of those years here so far.

All the best for your trip if you haven't got the line tightened beforehand.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Some of you may remember me hunting down a 13'6 #8/9 that I could easily fit in the car/suitcase unlike my existing rod, because many of you came up with some excellent suggestions. As it turned out though I really struggled to find what I was after and so I widened the search to include 13' rods. That took me back to a thought I'd originally had which was to have Gordon (The Flying Scotsman) build me a rod, something I had originally discounted as his 8/9 was not 13'6" . Having made some enquiries and opened up the conversation I quickly made my mind up and so began the long process of designing my look under the sage guidance of Gordon.

My initial thoughts following the discussion were captured by me with a bit of copying and pasting to show Gordon where my thinking was which progressed as time went on, oh and do you think you could find me some stripping rings with coloured centre? I've added a photo along the lines of what I'd like. I'm sure he said thank you for that extra wee challenge after hanging up :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 61139

Having had a discussion around the different weights of cork and how they would impact on the balance, we agreed a few tweaks and it wasn't long before photo's of progress were arriving so that I could accept or further tweak the design as the build progressed which soon progressed to photo's and a video of the handle being turned and it all started to feel very real as the final image appeared. A big step on from feeling like a wee bairn with his face pressed up against the sweetie shop window!

View attachment 61140

View attachment 61141

Having seen how lovely that was my initial thought of the rod having an understated sort of look disappeared leading to the addition of metallic threads for the wrapping and the ultimate design I made up as above. Again communication was excellent and it was clear that Gordon is a perfectionist going beyond the call of duty to hit perfection when it came to the lettering and everything else.
View attachment 61145

Finally though the day came when along with a photo I got the message: what's your address Iain? Me...o_O:eek::D:oops::giggle::unsure:o_O:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:love::love::love::love:
View attachment 61146

The rod arrived safe and sound and very quickly and just as quickly that wee bairn's dreams came true as the sweetie tube was opened and I got my hands on the rod for the first time, gave it the first waggle in the garden and then headed across to the local playing fields with my wives words ringing in my ears "You're quite a saddo really aren't you, its just a rod" :oops::oops::oops:

The balance was perfect and the initial waggle demonstrated the progressive curve that I managed to capture at full flex having jammed my phone into the hedge
View attachment 61148

View attachment 61147
View attachment 61150

I then decided that it would be rude not to go fishing and so that night after my long suffering wife agreed another delay to all my promised chores, the alarm was set for 3am for a jaunt across to Wales. Clearly it had to be done because casting over grass is no substitute to being on the water and if I didn’t the rod would surely fade into non existence… wouldn’t it?! 😁

View attachment 61151

I would love to be able to finish this up with a photo or video of a 20lb salmon bending it to the but. However, finding that elusive, Welsh, spring salmon is remaining, well....elusive! As you can see though in the video posted below the easy casting style of the rod, which is light in the hand, makes it a pleasure to use although it did take me a few casts to get used to the progressive action so that I didn't blow my anchor or fail to get the direction of the cast right and avoid crossing my line. The adjustment was soon made though and I quickly found that I could send out a longer line, far more easily than with my stiffer rod and that it handled the gusty upstream wind far better as well. It's a great addition to my collection that not only looks great, but is also forgiving of my awful casting stroke!!

13'6? My wife is wrong, that extra 6" I initially wanted really was not important, 13' is where it’s at and this #8/9 is bang on.
Thanks for your great review Iain. It had me chuckling away to myself.
I'm super happy you like the rod as you were aware it was a completely untested blank an a bit of a gamble for both of us.
I hope it lands many salmon for you and am looking forward to wetting a line with you when your up this way.

Scierra

Reaction score
Ian.
Judging by the pic of you casting in your garden ? the rod looks as if it is a through/slow actioned rod judging by the arc ? maybe a even better line grip on the river when casting ? class rod build and balanced I must say

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I can now confess that I had a sneak preview of your rod! It really is a lovely piece of work.

May it land you many fish!
Thank you. I thought you might have as I know you’ve seen a fair few of Gordon’s creations. What amazes me is that as someone in the office said, the whippings are somehow metallic and shiny while also being matt which means it has a nice subdued look on the water. Absolutely stunning work 😻

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Ian.
Judging by the pic of you casting in your garden ? the rod looks as if it is a through/slow actioned rod judging by the arc ? maybe a even better line grip on the river when casting ? class rod build and balanced I must say
I wish that was my garden but no it’s the village recreation ground. You are correct on the action though which makes it very forgiving but as it recovers well single, double spey and snap-T are all very easy to perform. I can’t comment on the fully aerialised snake roll as I’m not good enough to perform that!

However, I was surprised when I saw that photo of the rod fully loaded because while it indicated with the waggle test, it doesn’t feel like that to cast. A real joy to use which is down to the progressive action rather than just being floppy.

The other benefit I hadn’t thought of until on the river is that the softer tip makes mending the line very easy indeed with it feeling like you just need to twitch the rod tip rather than using your whole arm to roll the tip as you do with a stiff rod.

All put together it just feels like a rod that you could use all day without fatigue.

Last edited:

Richardgw

Reaction score

View attachment 61139

Having had a discussion around the different weights of cork and how they would impact on the balance, we agreed a few tweaks. It then wasn't long before photo's of progress were arriving so that I could accept or further tweak the design as the build progressed. In fact it wasn’t at all long after we started that photo's and a video of the handle being turned were received and it all started to feel very real as the final image appeared. A big step on from feeling like a wee bairn with his face pressed up against the sweetie shop window!

View attachment 61140

View attachment 61141

View attachment 61145

View attachment 61146

View attachment 61148

View attachment 61147
View attachment 61150

View attachment 61151

Nice pic of Ken’s pool. Get a 20 rushing downstream from there and it will put an even bigger bend in the rod especially if you are standing right at the top of the Bridge run where you were in the video.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Nice pic of Ken’s pool. Get a 20 rushing downstream from there and it will put an even bigger bend in the rod especially if you are standing right at the top of the Bridge run where you were in the video.
Yes it certainly pushes through as it goes past what’s left of the boathouse. Even more so the height it is now!