A History of Beat Catches

charlieH

Reaction score
In terms of catch numbers, there's an obvious and dramatic jump in 1986. The 5 year average for 1980-5 is 113, whereas the next five years 1986-90 average 299. Is there any obvious explanation for this - eg a sudden increase in rod effort?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
There appears to be a bot of a disconnect though when Warrich Hall webpage states:

"With the changes of the timing of the large salmon runs from autumn to spring and summer the Eden has seen increasing numbers of spring fish over the last 5 years with the 2020 runs being the best for years. Fish are coming earlier each year. Droughts in the last 3 years have adversely affected the catches in April and May but when the rain has arrived so did the fish."

...and yet the stats seem to show that Aug/Sep are the most consistent and the spring run has all but disappeared! Is that more about low numbers fishing in spring due to flooding and therefore the estate trying to encourage spring fishing to reflect the salmon running, or a just a false statement?

PestyIan

Reaction score
.....on a side note Warwick Hall appeared on an episode of the 'Hotel inspector'. Interesting to see the old couple who own it.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Interesting to see how the average weight of fish dropped away when the spring catches did the same.

yes, i noticed that. It made me wonder if the recent piece about killing taking fish could stretched to the taking of spring fish.

pre the 80s all the spring fish (most likely fresh) would have been killed. The autumn fish, not so much as some would be kippers. So i would wonder if those beat stats showed a spring run literally being fished out ?

Loxie

Reaction score
yes, i noticed that. It made me wonder if the recent piece about killing taking fish could stretched to the taking of spring fish.

pre the 80s all the spring fish (most likely fresh) would have been killed. The autumn fish, not so much as some would be kippers. So i would wonder if those beat stats showed a spring run literally being fished out ?
That could only happen if spring fish breed spring fish and all the evidence points that they don't. Also rod fishing could never kill enough fish to make any difference at all.

Loxie

Reaction score
In terms of catch numbers, there's an obvious and dramatic jump in 1986. The 5 year average for 1980-5 is 113, whereas the next five years 1986-90 average 299. Is there any obvious explanation for this - eg a sudden increase in rod effort?
I've no idea if it's relevant but at that time the Exe also saw a big resurgence in catches, pretty much all summer run grilse. The 70's and early eighties saw the end of the big spring runs and widespread UDN kept catches very low. Then grilse started to arrive in numbers and dominated catches. The pattern looks very similar to the Eden.

westie4566

Reaction score

It was probably only that the springers were bigger, better made fish.