A few wee ones

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Very nice indeed - very nice Dunkeld looking fly in there too - your Peter Ross is a cracker. What are the hooks? All the best, Patrick

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Very nice indeed - very nice Dunkeld looking fly in there too - your Peter Ross is a cracker. What are the hooks? All the best, Patrick
Thanks Patrick, coming from you that means a lot!

There’s some history in those flies....
Most materials are from my 1974 ‘No 93 Fly dressers box” stored away when as a teenager I used to tie for the local tackle shop in Newcastle for pocket money.
Clearly mallard, teal etc has no sell-by date!
The tinsel however was too tarnished (remember how the true metal tinsel’s cut thread for fun?), the new plastic Mylar tinsel’s are a revelation in comparison.

Hooks: another story, from the tying kit of the late Dr Ron Broughton, angling author and grayling society stalwart, bought at a fund raiser for the Ribble Trust. They will be “original” trout doubles probably not available nowadays.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
The down eyes look as though they may be Limerick doubles.
They're in an old tobacco tin sectioned with matchbox wood by size from 6 - 18 's labelled "trout doubles"
The flies in the pic are on sz8
They may well be the "wee double" Partridge R2A, now sold in limited sizes as a Heritage hook range:

ibm59

Reaction score
They're in an old tobacco tin sectioned with matchbox wood by size from 6 - 18 's labelled "trout doubles"
The flies in the pic are on sz8
They may well be the "wee double" Partridge R2A, now sold in limited sizes as a Heritage hook range:

The R2A hook has a round bend , and I don’t think they were made any bigger than a 10.🙂

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Those are beauties - I particularly like the way that you’ve rooted the wing rather than a simple back to back tying. Top drawer sir 👍

The hooks look similar to Kamasan B270 - especially from the Peter Ross photo.

Last edited: