A Few Fish From Today

keirstream

Reaction score
Some river fish active on the wee rise of water this week on home ground.
Very nice to fish the river with water that has not seen a rise since March apart from a small rise early August.(y)
These fish must have crept up over stones over the past few weeks.:unsure:
The one that got away however, as always, was a sea liced silver cock of around 18lbs that I played hard for around 15 minutes on a single hander.
As I led it up on to thin water over gravel and moving forward to tail it, the hook popped out and it wasted no time to make a break for it.:(
Ach weel! You win some and lose some.:LOL:

Attachments

• 1290921.JPG
    1290921.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 282
  • 2290921.JPG
    2290921.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
  • 3290921.JPG
    3290921.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 284

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Some river fish active on the wee rise of water this week on home ground.
Very nice to fish the river with water that has not seen a rise since March apart from a small rise early August.(y)
These fish must have crept up over stones over the past few weeks.:unsure:
The one that got away however, as always, was a sea liced silver cock of around 18lbs that I played hard for around 15 minutes on a single hander.
As I led it up on to thin water over gravel and moving forward to tail it, the hook popped out and it wasted no time to make a break for it.:(
Ach weel! You win some and lose some.:LOL:
Superb stuff Tom.
Its amazing what a wee drop rain can do

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
The river looked empty all day Gordon.
I can honestly say I only saw one fish move the whole day except for the fish I landed or lost.
So, so strange but clearly obvious that there are very few fish around as the other rods struggled badly. :(
I actually seen a few fish moving yesterday but think i was the only person to catch also. They just weren’t interested in conventional flies swung at 45 degrees

keirstream

Reaction score
I actually seen a few fish moving yesterday but think i was the only person to catch also. They just weren’t interested in conventional flies swung at 45 degrees
All were on conventional tubes today Gordon but, I don't do conventional swinging flies any more.
Everything I do now is different from what I did a couple of years ago, I've changed the angle I fish the line, the speed I fish the fly,
the depth I fish it at.
In fact, everything I do now is totally different from the other rods who are sticking rigidly to floating lines and tips swung at the speed of the current which probably does nothing for anything other than a suicidal fish.
More and more, my tactics are geared towards inducing takes and it seems to be working for me.
Canny wait to get my hands on the rods you have built for me to get them blooded.:cool::cool::cool:

mc andy

Reaction score
All were on conventional tubes today Gordon but, I don't do conventional swinging flies any more.
Everything I do now is different from what I did a couple of years ago, I've changed the angle I fish the line, the speed I fish the fly,
the depth I fish it at.
In fact, everything I do now is totally different from the other rods who are sticking rigidly to floating lines and tips swung at the speed of the current which probably does nothing for anything other than a suicidal fish.
More and more, my tactics are geared towards inducing takes and it seems to be working for me.
Canny wait to get my hands on the rods you have built for me to get them blooded.:cool::cool::cool:
So you can teach a old dog new tricks? ;) :unsure: :unsure:

Well done on your fish. Just nice to have a bit of water as you say. Our water was fairly broon yesterday.

keirstream

Reaction score
So you can teach a old dog new tricks? ;) :unsure: :unsure:

Well done on your fish. Just nice to have a bit of water as you say. Our water was fairly broon yesterday.
A few sessions with Loxie changes the way you think about fishing I can assure you.
In my personal opinion only, the most knowledgeable salmon angler on this forum.
I have a lot to thank him for, he changed much of my attitude towards fishing Heelan burns which has paid big dividends.(y)
I am now working on transferring these onto bigger rivers and they are working very well indeed.:D
Mick was with me yesterday and I'm looking to get over to the Clyde for a cast next week.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
No a bad wee day out keirstream 👍 well done sir 🎣👍. Dilemma for me.. upper tweed or Clyde🤔 ? Or just do both 😜

Rennie

Reaction score
Its great to see some one getting a fish or two, certainly lifts the spirits, equally as great to hear something other than pure luck put those fish on the bank too!.
Nice one!
Pedro.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
A few sessions with Loxie changes the way you think about fishing I can assure you.
In my personal opinion only, the most knowledgeable salmon angler on this forum.
I have a lot to thank him for, he changed much of my attitude towards fishing Heelan burns which has paid big dividends.(y)
I am now working on transferring these onto bigger rivers and they are working very well indeed.:D
Mick was with me yesterday and I'm looking to get over to the Clyde for a cast next week.
Funny enough, had the very same experience with Lefthandup where I totally opened his eyes to a new angling world. He’s never looked back.

DCH

mc andy

Reaction score
It's a very interesting topic on its own Tom? As I fish very differently from years past and have reaped rewards for it. Generally thinking about my fly position more.

Having a few fish in front of you helps mind :D

Well done again.

Loxie

Reaction score
Tom you are very kind but I'm not sure I deserve it! I do think we all, especially me, have a lot to learn about salmon and salmon fishing. The days of plenty seem to be gone forever and different times need a different approach!

Greegs

Reaction score
the depth I fish it at.

What do you do different now if you don’t mind me asking??
Always great to learn as every day is a school day..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greegs

Reaction score
Thread hijacking is not cool, you may notice some deleted posts. Please start your own discussion

Didn’t realise that I was hijacking a thread because it was already spoken about!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk