A dark one for clean water

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thumbs up from me - your tying is off the scale at the moment Richard. I find the pure oval rib a nightmare to execute so cleanly - but that looks perfect - no chinks or gaps. All the best, Patrick

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thumbs up from me - your tying is off the scale at the moment Richard. I find the pure oval rib a nightmare to execute so cleanly - but that looks perfect - no chinks or gaps. All the best, Patrick
Thanks Patrick, I appreciate that. Especially coming from someone like yourself! 🙂

A lot of trial and error over the years, with more error than anything else, I'm finally beginning to get things the way I want them to look.

I was always a big fan of oval tinsel bodies but struggled to tie them without gaps, which just looked awful. The 'secret' is to leave the under body as flat as possible.

The process I am using at the minute to achieve this is shown here...

Thanks again Patrick! 🙂

iainmortimer

Reaction score
What he said. That is absolute perfection including the hook choice. What pattern is it?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
What he said. That is absolute perfection including the hook choice. What pattern is it?
Thanks Iain! 🙂

I'm not sure if it is a pattern or just a variant of something else.

A Delphi Silver variant maybe? Not sure.

I tied it for when there's still a good height of water after a spate but it has cleaned too. Duller patterns seem to do better for me in those conditions. 🙂

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks Iain! 🙂

I'm not sure if it is a pattern or just a variant of something else.

A Delphi Silver variant maybe? Not sure.

I tied it for when there's still a good height of water after a spate but it has cleaned too. Duller patterns seem to do better for me in those conditions. 🙂
Oops, I'd have copied it regardless ;) ....what I meant though (sorry for not being clearer) was which hook pattern. It just looks like a good solid bit of metal work unlike a lot of low water singles.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Oops, I'd have copied it regardless ;) ....what I meant though (sorry for not being clearer) was which hook pattern. It just looks like a good solid bit of metal work unlike a lot of low water singles.
Aww right, sorry Iain! ☺

It's a Ken Sawada SL6, size 8.

I got a couple of packs of these in the past but they only had size 2 and 4 left.

Pat Nolan put a post of Facebook a few weeks ago with hooks he had in stock and I couldn't believe he had these. 10 euro for a pack of 25.

I got some 6s and 8s and another pack of 4s.

I really like them but others may not. ☺

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick, I appreciate that. Especially coming from someone like yourself! 🙂

A lot of trial and error over the years, with more error than anything else, I'm finally beginning to get things the way I want them to look.

I was always a big fan of oval tinsel bodies but struggled to tie them without gaps, which just looked awful. The 'secret' is to leave the under body as flat as possible.

The process I am using at the minute to achieve this is shown here...

Thanks again Patrick! 🙂
Cheers JS, that’s helped. It’s always that Little bump after tying in the tail that screws me over !! I was thinking of putting the tinsel in a bobbin to see if it winds better but that can make it worse. I’ll start looking at that blog as well - some great tying in there.

Keep ‘em coming!!!

All the best

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Aww right, sorry Iain! ☺

I got a couple of packs of these in the past but they only had size 2 and 4 left.

Pat Nolan put a post of Facebook a few weeks ago with hooks he had in stock and I couldn't believe he had these. 10 euro for a pack of 25.

Is Pat Nolan still on the go? I still have 2 amazing badger capes from him.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Cheers JS, that’s helped. It’s always that Little bump after tying in the tail that screws me over !! I was thinking of putting the tinsel in a bobbin to see if it winds better but that can make it worse. I’ll start looking at that blog as well - some great tying in there.

Keep ‘em coming!!!

All the best
I really must get some more stuff added to that blog. Not as if I don't have time at the minute! 🙈😂

One of those things that you have to be in the mood for just.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Is Pat Nolan still on the go? I still have 2 amazing badger capes from him.
Pat is still on the go. He has a Facebook page under the name 'Premier Angling' but doesn't update it too often. That was one of the few posts he made.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Aww right, sorry Iain! ☺

No problem at all and thanks. Does he still have any that size do you know?

AlanT

Reaction score
Thats a nice one

Ive never used pheasant rump (if thats what its called), where can I get some?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thats a nice one

Ive never used pheasant rump (if thats what its called), where can I get some?
I can't even remember where I got that AlanT. It's dyed black ringneck pheasant rump feathers. I'm sure veniards do a Golden Pheasant skin dyed black.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Pmc84

Reaction score
I can't even remember where I got that AlanT. It's dyed black ringneck pheasant rump feathers. I'm sure veniards do a Golden Pheasant skin dyed black.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Rodgers fishing tackle in newry have dyed ringneck pheasant.