9 to 5 Beats

mc andy

Reaction score
I enjoy my trips to these beats! I pay my money well aware what I'm going to fish. On the few beats I've fished on the Tay this is how it is, the norm and I enjoy knowing I'll start at 9, lunch at 1 and finish at 5. I've always been offered the opportunity to fish on but very rarely do, ( lager calls!). Fishing can be sociable to, and I enjoy a brew and chat with like minded anglers from all walks of life at lunch.

If you don't like it? Don't go, simples!

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I fish a ghillied beat. I contact the ghillie the night before to find out which beat I can fish. I usually get the beat I prefer and arrive between 9 and 10am. I fish until 1pm and go to the hut for a quick lunch. Often I will start again at 1.30pm. I have a good relationship with the ghillie and sometimes we fish together but I am also happy to fish alone.
I have a syndicate rod so it's a bit different from the day rods.
Its an arrangement that works for me and there's no pressure or expectation of tipping at the end of the day!
It's just not not my cup of tea sir

Reaction score
Have fished many Tweed beats post 5pm. Most of the time it's after the normal rods have buggered off to the pub
Is that because you can’t be ersed to get out of bed before 9am 🤣🤣🤣
I enjoy my trips to these beats! I pay my money well aware what I'm going to fish. On the few beats I've fished on the Tay this is how it is, the norm and I enjoy knowing I'll start at 9, lunch at 1 and finish at 5. I've always been offered the opportunity to fish on but very rarely do, ( lager calls!). Fishing can be sociable to, and I enjoy a brew and chat with like minded anglers from all walks of life at lunch.

If you don't like it? Don't go, simples!
I would agree that ‘Gentleman’s Hours’ are a pleasure to fish. Except when the sun is high in the sky and the water is low and clear and conditions are generally tricky. Then being up with the larks is often the difference between success and failure. Some of the biggest catches of summer fish and grilse I have caught have made between 6 and 9 am on a summers morning.

Walleye

Reaction score
I would agree that ‘Gentleman’s Hours’ are a pleasure to fish. Except when the sun is high in the sky and the water is low and clear and conditions are generally tricky. Then being up with the larks is often the difference between success and failure. Some of the biggest catches of summer fish and grilse I have caught have made between 6 and 9 am on a summers morning.
:) Gentleman's hours.
Developed in a time when every working man worked 10-12 hour shifts 6 days a week. My "red streak" and working class upbringing suspects this is why gentleman's hours were created - to avoid having to share the river with anyone else.
My red streak also thinks this is why Sundays were no fishing. Can't have plebs disturbing the fish old chap! Nowt like the threat of the wrath of God to control the masses😀
Maybe I'm just being too paranoid after a couple of glasses of wine😀
That it persists today, in our world of flexible working and customer focus, is just weird.

Hemmy

Reaction score
In the summer months I'd have 4 to 5hrs fishing in by then 🎣 I don't like to be told when to start and finish my fishing, it's fishing not school 😉 but each to their own
Having just spent ten days in Ayrshire experiencing conditions from low water to dirty spates ,and having fished both social and mostly anti social hours fishing without a pull or pluck,throwing everything at it from lovelly greenersed hairy creations,fcs,raps,a variety of metal work and a couple of tubs of worms without so much as a pluck and no sign of a fin or tail I have to say I am absolutely knackered with a capital K.
My next trip will be strictly 9til5 with a leisurely lunch, an army of assistants(Chaufeur,boatman ,somebody to set up and carry my tackle,someone to play my fish,someone to walk my dogs and cook lunch etc)......oh feck.....forgot about Covid......I guess I’ll be on my own again fishing all hours in the forlorn hope of catching my first fish in four years 🤣🤣🤣

Reaction score
:) Gentleman's hours.
Developed in a time when every working man worked 10-12 hour shifts 6 days a week. My "red streak" and working class upbringing suspects this is why gentleman's hours were created - to avoid having to share the river with anyone else.
My red streak also thinks this is why Sundays were no fishing. Can't have plebs disturbing the fish old chap! Nowt like the threat of the wrath of God to control the masses😀
Maybe I'm just being too paranoid after a couple of glasses of wine😀
That it persists today, in our world of flexible working and customer focus, is just weird.
Gentlemen’s hours is fine in spring and autumn, and I do agree, flexibility is useful concerning fishing times in high summer.

Hemmy

Reaction score
The latest trip through the eyes of Sasha and Sika
We are off in eager anticipation
The fish can’t see your offerings in this.....
Poachers have arrived(joking.....actually genuinely nice people)
There’s no fish

Attachments

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Having just spent ten days in Ayrshire experiencing conditions from low water to dirty spates ,and having fished both social and mostly anti social hours fishing without a pull or pluck,throwing everything at it from lovelly greenersed hairy creations,fcs,raps,a variety of metal work and a couple of tubs of worms without so much as a pluck and no sign of a fin or tail I have to say I am absolutely knackered with a capital K.
My next trip will be strictly 9til5 with a leisurely lunch, an army of assistants(Chaufeur,boatman ,somebody to set up and carry my tackle,someone to play my fish,someone to walk my dogs and cook lunch etc)......oh feck.....forgot about Covid......I guess I’ll be on my own again fishing all hours in the forlorn hope of catching my first fish in four years 🤣🤣🤣
Yeh the weather ain't been great in Ayrshire old yin ☔☔ there was some big water's this past week, is that the doon you were fishing? next time your up give me a wee shout and we'll get a meet up , 👍🏻 I'm working in Ayrshire for the foreseeable, could even nip over and have a day on the annan on me 🎣.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I enjoy the 9-5 beats in the Spring as this amount of time per day at this time of year is ideal with a rest in the hut at lunchtime and a blether with other anglers. Lets remember that in years gone bye the catches were greater with more fish about so the old timers would not have felt the need to be up at crack of dawn to increase their catches.

Hemmy

Reaction score
Yeh the weather ain't been great in Ayrshire old yin ☔☔ there was some big water's this past week, is that the doon you were fishing? next time your up give me a wee shout and we'll get a meet up , 👍🏻 I'm working in Ayrshire for the foreseeable, could even nip over and have a day on the annan on me 🎣.
Yes Arnold it is the Doon.
Will try and get in touch prior to my next trip.
The photos were taken above and below the bridge at Dalrymple.

tony considine

Reaction score
C'mon guys!...It's easy to slate 9-5 beats as being too restrictive. We all like to fish how when and where we want.
Think about it. You own a quality beat. Two or three really good pools, a couple average, some not that productive. It will command a fairly high daily rod price of £100+. .You let five or six rods per day and leave it as a free for all. Any time you like, any method you like, anywhere you like.
How long would that last??? Keep all the customers happy all of the time, you must be joking!!

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Yes Arnold it is the Doon.
Will try and get in touch prior to my next trip.
The photos were taken above and below the bridge at Dalrymple.
If you can make it before Christmas I can just give you my letter instead of putting up the chimney 😂✉🎅

marty31

Reaction score
Is Ladykirk 9/5 ?
I remember when I used to fish Pedwell I could start whenever I wished...I've no idea how it works now with new Ghillies etc..

Always got an early summer start at Horncliffe when Eric Ball was there too.
it was never a problem to fish after five or start early with eric either, in the summer most of the fish were caught either early or late, as one would expect in the summer

Coneheads

Banned
Reaction score
I have seldom fished a 9 to 5 fishing only beat, getting hoyed off at 5pm that is ? I've always been allowed to fish on if I enquired
I have fished a 6am to 2pm and same beat 2pm till 10pm AC water, the hrs can vary thro the season , and you can fish the whole day 6am till 10pm or all daylight hrs . if you purchase 2 day permits I don't know of any other beat or AC that have these "fishing shifts " ? but people do work these shifts in a factories or hospitals .
Pitlochry AC the only beat that I know of that states fishing ceases at 5pm ,then locals only after that, Tweedhill is the only beat I have ever fished and had to exit at 5pm,
Fished many a ghillied beat in a boat and bank fished , ghillies knock off at 5pm , but most allow you to fish on .

lefthandup

Reaction score
I have seldom fished a 9 to 5 fishing only beat, getting hoyed off at 5pm that is ? I've always been allowed to fish on if I enquired
I have fished a 6am to 2pm and same beat 2pm till 10pm AC water, the hrs can vary thro the season , and you can fish the whole day 6am till 10pm or all daylight hrs . if you purchase 2 day permits I don't know of any other beat or AC that have these "fishing shifts " ? but people do work these shifts in a factories or hospitals .
Pitlochry AC the only beat that I know of that states fishing ceases at 5pm ,then locals only after that, Tweedhill is the only beat I have ever fished and had to exit at 5pm,
Fished many a ghillied beat in a boat and bank fished , ghillies knock off at 5pm , but most allow you to fish on .
Recently on a AC beat on the Spey we were virtually told to stop fishing after someone reported us fishing after 7 pm....
This co insides with playing a Salmon.. there was no one fishing when we started.
Although the rules state 9 hrs fishing for visitors, I had cleared it before that we'd give way to any locals fishing which seemed all good and fair.... until you catch a salmon that is.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Re: Tweedhill. Like me you obviously weren't part of the inner sanctum. You need to go bearing gifts like free Hardy rods etc....
I will stick with Horncliffe where I have had no problems or complaints.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I have seldom fished a 9 to 5 fishing only beat, getting hoyed off at
Re: Tweedhill. Like me you obviously weren't part of the inner sanctum. You need to go bearing gifts like free Hardy rods etc....
I will stick with Horncliffe where I have had no problems or complaints.
What is required for the Tweedhill club...are goats involved? 😂😂