9 to 5 Beats

lefthandup

Reaction score
9.36 am here in Coldingham and it's already too hot for for me.
I live right on the coast I can only imagine what the heat is like inland.

Imagine fishing a beat that only allows fishing from the 9 to 5 hours?

What beats encourage an early start in adverse sunny weather , and what beats are restricted ?

Couldn't think of anything worse fishing wise like today.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Encountered this many a time and have to admit if you are taking a day in the summer and the beat says 9-5 then this is what you have signed up for. If a beat or Ghillie allows you to fish on then this is good but remember the Ghillie needs to get home to his family also. Regarding getting an agreement to start early again the Ghillie would need to then allocate you a pool or certain pools so you do not fish the 9 oclock arrivals pools. There needs to be trust. Also how would you feel turning up at a beat where you have been looking forward to fish for weeks and when you get there at 08:30 you see an angler packing up and hearing he has been in your favourite pool since first light and had 2 fish ? 2 or 3 hours at first light then back to river after dinner is always worth a shout but these times do not suit the Ghillies and Estates all the times..

lefthandup

Reaction score
Encountered this many a time and have to admit if you are taking a day in the summer and the beat says 9-5 then this is what you have signed up for. If a beat or Ghillie allows you to fish on then this is good but remember the Ghillie needs to get home to his family also. Regarding getting an agreement to start early again the Ghillie would need to then allocate you a pool or certain pools so you do not fish the 9 oclock arrivals pools. There needs to be trust. Also how would you feel turning up at a beat where you have been looking forward to fish for weeks and when you get there at 08:30 you see an angler packing up and hearing he has been in your favourite pool since first light and had 2 fish ? 2 or 3 hours at first light then back to river after dinner is always worth a shout but these times do not suit the Ghillies and Estates all the times..
I should've put that question on the other thread...I think the sun is getting to me 🥴

Elibank

Reaction score
Mortimers in Grantown got me a day on Tulchan D many years ago, the Spey was low and there were quite a few vacancies - I took it mainly because I wanted to see the place.
The ghillie was brilliant, saying there appeared to be long term residents in the pools, but if I wanted, I could fish till lunch then rest the water before a few hours after the sea trout until silly o’clock.
Lovely beat, great ghillie.

auldsalmon

Reaction score

What beats encourage an early start in adverse sunny weather , and what beats are restricted ?

I personally think 9 to 5 is wrong for a countryside pursuit . should be whatever the rods want , You pay for day ticket not 6 to 7 hours out of the day

ArchieL

Reaction score
I personally think 9 to 5 is wrong for a countryside pursuit . should be whatever the rods want , You pay for day ticket not 6 to 7 hours out of the day
As much as i would like to fish any time after booking a day on a beat, i dont think it would be possible to keep everyone happy. Let us remember that the Beats are normally owned by people who make little to nothing off the fishing so are not going to be dictated by rods about when they can fish. If you want to purchase a permit then buy one and stick to beat rules and if you dont like beat rules or times then stay away. I do agree with you that countryside pursuits are sometimes suited to early and late but on Ghillied beats operating 9-5 has been the way of the country gent for over 100 years.

lefthandup

Reaction score
When I'm fishing I like to think time goes out the window,it's an awkward one though.

The Ghillies won't get overtime and as has been mentioned 'trust' would play a major part.

Rods could be given an option in certain months maybe June/July.

Willow3

Reaction score
in my experience the water doesn't warm up to about 11am so the first two hours are OK and if the ghillie sees that you are experienced and responsible, he will allow you to fish on after 5pm when he goes home as the beat wants good catch returns and in hot weather it is better to stop fishing at lunch and then fish in the evening after 8pm. The only problem is where you have to use a boat to fish the beat and then you may be restricted to 9-5. Even then it may still be worth bank fishing later in the evening.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I never have and never will fish a 9 to 5 beat, I like to pick when I go depending on conditions. Other than flood/falling water that usually means early and late. Beauty of the association especially one with limited membership so it's not over fished. One of my associations has only 45members of which only 15 fish regular on 32 named pools on the best water on my local river however subs arnt cheap but compared to going away with hotels, food, beer etc it's cheap. That said I live on a salmon river and others dont have that luxury

Handel

Reaction score
I have never been summer fishing where 9-5 is specified. If it was I wouldn't book it. Last week the ghillie told us to fish the evening not the afternoon. We fished until dark.

Reaction score

One of the issues over this matter of early starts/late finishes are single bank beats. If one side is a 9-5 beat then inevitably the other side has to follow suit to avoid confrontation and fall outs. I’ve only found it suitable for early/late fishing when it’s been double bank and I’m sharing the beat with friends. The only other time has been fishing on association waters where generally you can do what you like.

lefthandup

Reaction score
One of the issues over this matter of early starts/late finishes are single bank beats. If one side is a 9-5 beat then inevitably the other side has to follow suit to avoid confrontation and fall outs. I’ve only found it suitable for early/late fishing when it’s been double bank and I’m sharing the beat with friends. The only other time has been fishing on association waters where generally you can do what you like.
Is Ladykirk 9/5 ?
I remember when I used to fish Pedwell I could start whenever I wished...I've no idea how it works now with new Ghillies etc..

Always got an early summer start at Horncliffe when Eric Ball was there too.

Reaction score
I
Is Ladykirk 9/5 ?
I remember when I used to fish Pedwell I could start whenever I wished...I've no idea how it works now with new Ghillies etc..

Always got an early summer start at Horncliffe when Eric Ball was there too.
unfortunately Ladykirk isn’t an early starter, except down on beat 5 and 6 opposite Horncliffe as I believe they are ok about an early start. I think Pedwell and West Newbiggin are 9-5 ers these days, if I remember correctly. I’m doing a days Ghillieing at Horncliffe in Monday so I’ll have a craic with Tony the Ghillie and check it out.

Chicharito

Reaction score
I'll never fish a 9 to 5 beat or a ghillied one for that
I fish a ghillied beat. I contact the ghillie the night before to find out which beat I can fish. I usually get the beat I prefer and arrive between 9 and 10am. I fish until 1pm and go to the hut for a quick lunch. Often I will start again at 1.30pm. I have a good relationship with the ghillie and sometimes we fish together but I am also happy to fish alone.
I have a syndicate rod so it's a bit different from the day rods.
Its an arrangement that works for me and there's no pressure or expectation of tipping at the end of the day!

marty31

Reaction score
nobody can expect on single bank ownership beats, for one side to have to follow the opposite sides starting times without a mutual agreement, there's absolutely no legal obligation whatsoever for one side to have to sing to the tune and whim of a owner or gillie on a privately owned opposite bank fishery, without a sat down agreement to meet the approval of both owners, and in my experience usually the ones complaining, are the worse ones for just doing as they so wish, when they wish and sod anyone else.

Reaction score
nobody can expect on single bank ownership beats, for one side to have to follow the opposite sides starting times without a mutual agreement, there's absolutely no legal obligation whatsoever for one side to have to sing to the tune and whim of a owner or gillie on a privately owned opposite bank fishery, without a sat down agreement to meet the approval of both owners, and in my experience usually the ones complaining, are the worse ones for just doing as they so wish, when they wish and sod anyone else.
I think that is pretty much the situation on the beat I fish. Some sort of an agreement was hammered out with the opposition.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Instead of 2 beats on opposite sides fishing the same water the fishponds and red gorton actually swap beats day to day. One day red gorton guys will fish both sides of red gorton and next day both sides of fishponds. It works well as these beats are harled too.

JoeE

Reaction score
Have fished many Tweed beats post 5pm. Most of the time it's after the normal rods have buggered off to the pub

lefthandup

Reaction score
It's all a bit weird and archaic this 9-5 fishing.
Seems like it was designed for times long gone and needs changing.
It's very hard to change that on a ghillied beat to be fair to them .

However I remember working on the river in hot days and I suggested an early start on one beat but I'd finish early too (just after lunch)...was a non starter ,but I thought it was the best chance the rods would get a fish.

I'd still have put my 8 HR shift in.

Elibank

Reaction score
Have fished many Tweed beats post 5pm. Most of the time it's after the normal rods have buggered off to the pub
Wouldn’t happen on our beat:

1. The apres 8 drinks are in the hut

2. There are no normal rods in our syndicate