80 tons of salmon

bluejay

Reaction score
not Atlantic Salmon, but how many are of them end up this way and no one ever knows?

goosander

Reaction score
If memory serves me right it was at the start of the 90s that drift netters with up to 18 miles of monofilament nets were catching many tons of Atlantic salmon. This was about the time that catches started to nose dive [memory ?]
Still surprises me that any salmon manage to spawn
Article in the Sunday Mail about a owner of a beat on the Spey. Photo shows a farmed salmon jumping.
Bob.

fly guy

Reaction score
not Atlantic Salmon, but how many are of them end up this way and no one ever knows?
For argument's sake you cannot just land huge quantities of illegally caught salmon in the UK or Europe as checks are in place. We also have fisheries protection vessels checking fishing boats out at sea. You might get away with in the far east were this incident took place and it was the US coastguard that picked up this illegal catch.
I was told by a skipper of a local fishing boat that any salmon smolts that are caught in nets by accident are put back over the side (dead of course) as the fines that are imposed in landing salmon smolts are huge.

mows

Reaction score
For argument's sake you cannot just land huge quantities of illegally caught salmon in the UK or Europe as checks are in place. We also have fisheries protection vessels checking fishing boats out at sea. You might get away with in the far east were this incident took place and it was the US coastguard that picked up this illegal catch.
I was told by a skipper of a local fishing boat that any salmon smolts that are caught in nets by accident are put back over the side (dead of course) as the fines that are imposed in landing salmon smolts are huge.
It certainly hasn't stopped them landing immense undeclared and as such illegal quotas, in the UK. So what would make you think some of the other European fleets are honest.

The main reason salmon aren't probably targeted as much, is that farmed salmon is so cheap, and more money catching other species.

It would be difficult to land wild salmon and sell them as such, especially as there are less netting stations to pass them through.

Cheers

Mows

fly guy

Reaction score
It certainly hasn't stopped them landing immense undeclared and as such illegal quotas, in the UK. So what would make you think some of the other European fleets are honest.

The main reason salmon aren't probably targeted as much, is that farmed salmon is so cheap, and more money catching other species.

It would be difficult to land wild salmon and sell them as such, especially as there are less netting stations to pass them through.

Cheers

Mows
I was talking about Atlantic salmon in my post. One hears about the odd boat being caught with sea fish they should not have targeted. If these "immense undeclared and illegal quotas" are being landed in the UK why don't we hear about them. Nearly all ports where sea fish are landed have government officials that check the paperwork, catches etc. Are we talking about "greased palms and brown envelopes" to look the other way:shocked:

mows

Reaction score
I was talking about Atlantic salmon in my post. One hears about the odd boat being caught with sea fish they should not have targeted. If these "immense undeclared and illegal quotas" are being landed in the UK why don't we hear about them. Nearly all ports where sea fish are landed have government officials that check the paperwork, catches etc. Are we talking about "greased palms and brown envelopes" to look the other way:shocked:
Scottish Black Fish Scandal | Britishseafishing.co.uk

And we look for it, not convinced they are as diligent in some foreign ports.

Cheers

Mows

fly guy

Reaction score

And we look for it, not convinced they are as diligent in some foreign ports.

Cheers

Mows
Investigated 2002-2005. Search warrants in 2005. Operation Trawler was the name of the investigation. This was a high profile case and the guilty persons got what they deserved.
I don't think there has been anything since in the UK.

acercon3

Reaction score

And we look for it, not convinced they are as diligent in some foreitgn ports.

Cheers

Mows
This scandal is now somewhat historic having been investigated and dealt with thru the judicial system. These offences were taking place right up until 2005 or so and were not only exclusive to pelagic catches. The whole issue of fishery regulation , control and reporting is now unrecognisable compared to what went before among the N E Atlantic coastal states and EU.

Within the FA027 area there is only one sub area that we would class as International waters. This is area 2 . All other areas represent the EEZ of one state or another and are policed. Given that these areas are used by the fleets of the various coastal states It is unlikely that a pirate vessel could merely turn up and operate unnoticed and if it was seen it would certainly be reported. Area 2 would be somewhat different as no neighbouring state is policing this to my knowledge.

Unlike FA027 and given the large area of ocean open for exploitation in the N Pacific which lies outside the normal 200mile limits I am sure that there will be substantial IUU operations taking place .

Dave Wilkinson

Reaction score
Holland

I read that there are no records kept now of salmonid by-catches taken on legally-licensed vessels landing catches in Holland. Especially when fishing off the Rhine. They are thought to be mainly of sea-trout, including many from our East Coast rivers. Quantities are not thought to be huge i.e. in terms of this chum catch in the original post.

Not sure which areas you are talking about without a map to hand.

QUOTE=acercon3;1074683]This scandal is now somewhat historic having been investigated and dealt with thru the judicial system. These offences were taking place right up until 2005 or so and were not only exclusive to pelagic catches. The whole issue of fishery regulation , control and reporting is now unrecognisable compared to what went before among the N E Atlantic coastal states and EU.

Within the FA027 area there is only one sub area that we would class as International waters. This is area 2 . All other areas represent the EEZ of one state or another and are policed. Given that these areas are used by the fleets of the various coastal states It is unlikely that a pirate vessel could merely turn up and operate unnoticed and if it was seen it would certainly be reported. Area 2 would be somewhat different as no neighbouring state is policing this to my knowledge.

Unlike FA027 and given the large area of ocean open for exploitation in the N Pacific which lies outside the normal 200mile limits I am sure that there will be substantial IUU operations taking place .[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

acercon3

Reaction score
Most, if not all N E Atlantic coastal state fleet operations are electronically logged and the latitude to operate below the radar and dispose of catches illegally has been virtually extinguished. On the shore side buyers are licensed and must complete an electronic buyers return confirming their purchases which match the vessels declared landing.
Pirate fishing vessels would need to be able to access and depart the grounds unnoticed . Not so likely in our part of the world with other vessels operating and seen by the eye in the sky.

On the subject of captured smolts I have to say I have never seen in the UK this but do not discount that it could happen.Perhaps there is a greater likelihood with catches taken in Northern waters during the latter part of Summer.
I am fairly certain that if any were caught by a pelagic vessel it would go unnoticed until the point of grading in an onshore pelagic processing plant .
Catches are vacuumed into the vessel at time of catch and vacuumed out at unloading . Handling catches in bulk like this provides no opportunity for detailed inspection.