50 lb ?

Scierra

Reaction score
Frodins latest catch looks bigger than him the way the pic was taken ? 48.5 inches truly monster croc , grassed on his 12ft 6" new rod ,

Frodin posted yesterday 29th Sept
This years Em fishing started good! First day 4 takes and two landed salmon 90 and 100cm. Today I caught and released the big beast… 123cm girth 75cm we all estimated it to be my personal best beating the 22,9kg I had before. 23-24 kilos (50+ lbs)and to my knowledge the biggest fish so far on the SALAR S2 12,6’
And the fly was a tiny Pahtakorva TTT
😀

52724360_2238855232997041_2836802096299245568_n.jpg

SnapT14

Reaction score
Frodins latest catch looks bigger than him the way the pic was taken ? 48.5 inches truly monster croc , grassed on his 12ft 6" new rod ,

This years Em fishing started good! First day 4 takes and two landed salmon 90 and 100cm. Today I caught and released the big beast… 123cm girth 75cm we all estimated it to be my personal best beating the 22,9kg I had before. 23-24 kilos (50+ lbs)and to my knowledge the biggest fish so far on the SALAR S2 12,6’
😀

View attachment 66231
The Kype is at least 14".......

Not 50lbs in my opinion but having not caught one, what do I know 😂

Pollowick

Reaction score
Hard to tell, but it will have lost weight whilst in the river and I would suggest probably not hitting 50lb.

It may have been when fresh, being anywhere from 45 to 55 but not now. THat would be my take.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
It once again underlines the point that when measuring late season cock fish you should only run the tape to the natural jaw line and not the end of the kype. In this case the natural jaw line is clearly visible just ahead of the nostril hole. Beyond that point the kype is just an extension of cartilage that isn't part of the skeleton.

In this case the kype extension may be 7-9 cm, which would change the estimate of the weight.

One other point is that very big fish tend to lose a lower proportion of their body mass than small ones as a result of being more efficient.

cuda

Reaction score
Stunning fish...would be nice to see a "normal" angle photo too - this pose looks good I agree but always exaggerates size.

The lads who fish for catfish are the worst at the exaggerated pose in my view...makes them look enormous, this one is maybe 3lb ish lol and it isn't like they are attractive fish!

h0qhixpgaafvoyggdpbh.jpg

chriswjx

Reaction score
Stunning fish...would be nice to see a "normal" angle photo too - this pose looks good I agree but always exaggerates size.

The lads who fish for catfish are the worst at the exaggerated pose in my view...makes them look enormous, this one is maybe 3lb ish lol and it isn't like they are attractive fish!

View attachment 66237

If in doubt, hold the fish as close to camera as possible!

luney

Reaction score
It once again underlines the point that when measuring late season cock fish you should only run the tape to the natural jaw line and not the end of the kype. In this case the natural jaw line is clearly visible just ahead of the nostril hole. Beyond that point the kype is just an extension of cartilage that isn't part of the skeleton.

In this case the kype extension may be 7-9 cm, which would change the estimate of the weight.

One other point is that very big fish tend to lose a lower proportion of their body mass than small ones as a result of being more efficient.
Good points regards length. What would the estimate be if you knocked 10 cm off the length? That's my guesstimate at the Kype. Taking nothing away from him but 10cm less would be more realistic IMHO

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Taking 10cm off reduces the length to 113cm or 44.5". On the Sturdy scale that would give a clean/fresh weight in the range 17-19kg. However, this fish apparently had an unusually large girth, so you might be looking at a higher figure, and this is indeed a massive fish. Then you have to apply estimates of mass loss from the peak weight in June.

The big caveat is that the angler, Michael Frodin, is one of the world's most experienced, so whatever he says needs to be treated with respect. We should not, therefore be too hasty in downgrading it into the 30s.

ballintemple

Reaction score
I admire Frodin as an extremely good fly fisherman and an innovative fly tier. But as regards weight estimates based on length, we've been here before, in lots of threads on this list. The best you can do in such circumstances is to give a range of probable weights, assuming accurate measurement. (I agree with the comments here about seasonable variations, condition, etc.) But you can't then cherry pick the top of the range. I'm not talking particularly about this case but about similar situations I've personally witnessed. If you need to claim a weight use scales.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I always thought that 48” was about 40lb. The guy’s caught so many fish though, I’d find it pretty hard to argue with him. A belter whatever weight it is

mc andy

Reaction score
He's states he's had a 24.9 as his personal best, so obviously been waighed by the accurate measurements. So he's happy this fish is bigger in leanth and girth. Who's to say it wasn't measured excluding the kype.

I'm just happy to see such a fish.

Couple more shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210930_080347_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930_080347_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20210930_080335_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930_080335_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 140

Jonsey

Reaction score
A Baltic belter! In my limited experience, these fish are often much heavier set than our Atlantic’s so probably every bit as big as he estimates.

Scierra

Reaction score

😀

View attachment 66231
75 cm girth , 😎 29.5 inches, that be approx 12/13inches across its flank , some 14.75 inches dorsal fin to approx the pelvic fins ,thats 50 lb + anyday (y)

This 29.5 inches was my waist measurement 50 years ago (17) ,Levi's and Wrangler jeans shrink to fit in the bath ending up with blue balls

Last edited:

luney

Reaction score
75 cm girth , 😎 29.5 inches, that be approx 12/13inches across its flank , some 14.75 inches dorsal fin to approx the pelvic fins fish ,that 50 lb + anyday (y)

This 29.5 inches was my waist measurement 50 years ago (17) ,Levi's and Wrangler jeans shrink to fit in the bath ending up with blue balls
What an analogy PMSL😂

Tees88

Reaction score
Incredible fish & a world-class angler. Crazy to doubt his measurements/weight imo. They're usually spot on at measuring fish over there, you never see them estimating, something we should all look to follow here if anything.