5 Mile Stay Local Rules Scotland

keirstream

Reaction score
It's getting punchy round here
Bit of a poor show if you ask me, if you're on vigilante duties ideally you're the one that needs to be doing the assaulting
Do the mobs around North Berwick keep their pitchforks sharpened?
They should burn a few lockdown violators at the stake.
And eat them. (only if they are carrying the H & S certification confirming they are free of Covid and complying to all food hygiene regulations)
That should curb their enthusiasm for beach parties.(y)(y)

ozzyian

Reaction score
If our street justice gangs are coming off second best with the day trippers I would imagine that they've also become goody two shoes compliant re clean air and the guidance on bonfires. Wouldn't have happened in my day.

:)

K MacC

Reaction score
I can see the rules being relaxed in more rural areas. But it becoming law that you cannot travel from the more densly populated urban areas to rural areas. eg....there is a huge diffetence in the level of risk if I travel from the Butt to Barra relative to a covid carriet travelling from Ayr to Dunkeld.
In the Lewis there has been 6 cases to date and this has not altered in the past two months. Having family in Lewis, we will not travel there until we have a vaccine for covid19. So my children will not see their grandparents till then. Areas like the outer Hebrides should be moved onto the next stage of lockdown, but access to the islands should be very limited no tourists or visitors. I would exclude all unessential travel and introduce a 2 week quarentine for anyone entering the Island no exceptions. All it takes is one person to infect the Island chain.

Hoolet

Reaction score
North Berwick might have been busy but Port Seton & Longniddry was like Blackpool during fair fortnight, no social distancing & not a plod in site

williegunn2

Reaction score
In the Lewis there has been 6 cases to date and this has not altered in the past two months. Having family in Lewis, we will not travel there until we have a vaccine for covid19. So my children will not see their grandparents till then. Areas like the outer Hebrides should be moved onto the next stage of lockdown, but access to the islands should be very limited no tourists or visitors. I would exclude all unessential travel and introduce a 2 week quarentine for anyone entering the Island no exceptions. All it takes is one person to infect the Island chain.
All great ideas, but what if an islander needs to travel to Inverness for a medical appointment or other important meeting would you make them quarantine for a fortnight on return?

In reality you are not moving on, you are just making the prison more spacious.

Last edited:

salmo76

Reaction score
Seems a bit extreme to me. What you are proposing is : to turn Scotland into some sort of giant prison camp, for possibly many years, or maybe forever until such times as a vaccine is found or not. That is going to be a delightful place to live in, I`m sure, for the urban dwellers who will be forced to live their lives in a 5 mile radius of say Glasgow ; I`m guessing that after a while, life in places like that, when combined with the economic and social destruction of society, that such a draconian policy will inevitably lead to, will be something akin to the movie Escape to New York starring Kurt Russell.

What will life be like in rural Scotland under such a regime I wonder , certainly a little better than the large majority of Scots that they wish to remain trapped in an urban decaying, anarchic hell no doubt. However, they will be trapped as well in many ways : no trips to the town shops and amenities, no deliveries due to the 2 week quarantine requirements and watching in anguish as the economy that supports rural living and society itself crumbles all around them.

K MacC

Reaction score
What we have today is a system where 5 miles is the limit of travel within Scotland. However island communities have the advantage of being isolated due to the water surrounding them for example New Zealand or the Outer Hebrides these areas can and should reopen to normal pre virus days if they can prove there no virus on the Island. If the people wish to abide by the quarantine rules they should be able to continue as before. No tourists or visitors etc. These are draconian measures but so is the risk to the population. It would also have the advantage of allowing locals to fish some of the exclusive waters. As for the rest of us in the Urban areas of Scotland the 5 mile rule still applies until the virus is contained.

Cyclops

Reaction score
No excuse for assaults and stabbings, but approaching hostile situations alone at 3.30am on a day when police were "fighting a losing battle, and too many for them to handle" is probably best avoided. Of course dont know all the facts, but hopefully Jimmy recovers unscathed.

Billy Graham

Reaction score
its a farce when I can be issued a government headed letter as part of working on UK critical infrastructure project and due to no flights being available I can drive 400+ miles to go to work. (1200 miles driven not stopped once

I have a day booked outside of fishpal with a friend who has contacted the estate directly and secured a couple of rods for Saturday and I have every intention of maintaining social distancing, following the angling guidance, traveling alone in the car and fishing down the pools in a normal respectful way like we always do as anglers waiting to go in after the first rod has fished well down the pool if I don't have the pool to myself.

SOS

Reaction score
There are quite a few people from Lewis and other islands work offshore,so they have to travel by plane,boat,train or car to Aberdeen then maybe a taxi or crew bus,stay in a hotel,check in at heliport,fly to rig on a chopper,live,work and sleep on a rig for 2 or 3 weeks then the return journey,and then you would expect them to quarantine for their 2 weeks at home,not workable if you ask me.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
What we have today is a system where 5 miles is the limit of travel within Scotland. However island communities have the advantage of being isolated due to the water surrounding them for example New Zealand or the Outer Hebrides these areas can and should reopen to normal pre virus days if they can prove there no virus on the Island. If the people wish to abide by the quarantine rules they should be able to continue as before. No tourists or visitors etc. These are draconian measures but so is the risk to the population. It would also have the advantage of allowing locals to fish some of the exclusive waters. As for the rest of us in the Urban areas of Scotland the 5 mile rule still applies until the virus is contained.
The reality in the Hebrides is that it is reopening in line with everywhere else. It has to. For example, guys involved in building projects start arriving tomorrow from all over the rest of Scotland.
I am sick of hearing "we are so lucky here to be cut off and keeping the virus out",etc.
Some of the 2.5 million people currently denied cancer treatment, diagnosis, refer, etc are from the Herides. I know of more than one person that has died because of this.
Tourism is a major employer here and there is far too much of the "We are all right" when the mean "I am all right and **** those reliant on tourism". The hopes, health and wealth of a significant part of the Hebridean population has been thrown under a bus, and the public sector types (the major employers in the Hebrides) are happy that "we" are safe. Totally selfish @rseholes.
There will be no viable vaccine anytime soon, relying on testing to get rid of covid is at best wishful, so social distancing or staying home if they want is the way to go.
The politicians know all the above so expect movement to begin again in the third phase.
.....and I have been referring to Lewis as HMP Lewis for weeks now.

K MacC

Reaction score
As you say Roag fisher, it does seem like a police state with HMP Isle of Lewis being a prime example but it is worse here with the unseen virus threat. The islands are a unique example of putting measures in place to protect the population by stopping or restricting travel. With that being said I would imagine there is an opportunity to resume a semi normal life here before the UK mainland. However this does come with caveats one being a quarantine system. Looking at the bigger picture this is what New Zealand, Australia and China have done and what the UK needs to do. But in the meantime the number of infections need to fall to a manageable level so their contact and trace system works. But what's the point in letting everyone in without a quarantine system.
Getting back to fishing I am afraid we shoot ourselves in the foot at every opportunity. The 5 mile guidance rule is there like it or not in my opinion traveling 60 miles may be ripping the arse out of it! As the case of the hill walkers today being reported to the PF for traveling 60 miles. In my opinion it's only a matter of time before an angler is highlighted.

westie4566

Reaction score
The reality in the Hebrides is that it is reopening in line with everywhere else. It has to. For example, guys involved in building projects start arriving tomorrow from all over the rest of Scotland.
I am sick of hearing "we are so lucky here to be cut off and keeping the virus out",etc.
Some of the 2.5 million people currently denied cancer treatment, diagnosis, refer, etc are from the Herides. I know of more than one person that has died because of this.
Tourism is a major employer here and there is far too much of the "We are all right" when the mean "I am all right and **** those reliant on tourism". The hopes, health and wealth of a significant part of the Hebridean population has been thrown under a bus, and the public sector types (the major employers in the Hebrides) are happy that "we" are safe. Totally selfish @rseholes.
There will be no viable vaccine anytime soon, relying on testing to get rid of covid is at best wishful, so social distancing or staying home if they want is the way to go.
The politicians know all the above so expect movement to begin again in the third phase.
.....and I have been referring to Lewis as HMP Lewis for weeks now.
You have really hit the nail on the head the there G.

This situation isn't going away anytime soon, whether we break out this week, next week, next month or next year nothing changes re the virus. It'll be still be there and scant chance of a vaccine/cure going on other viruses in the corona family (common cold for example).

As has been said elsewhere on the forum, we have different sections of society. Those s'hit scared to even leave their homes, the utter bell ends who don't give a monkeys, and the rest of us who realise that life will have to go on and have planned to resume life with sensible precautions and realising the risk having actually looked at cases per head in their own regions. So why are we, as a nation. going to the dogs just to appease the scared?

The whole 5 mile thing - what a pointless exercise in reality. As you say, the reality is that the death rate caused initially by health problems shoved to one side in favour of CV19 (whilst our hastily built CV19 hospitals lie empty) is going to be huge. Then the ongoing effects on the economy with mass unemployment causing further deprivation leading to early deaths.

I suspect in several decades time we'll look back (if I'm still here) and recognise we did things all wrong.

Last edited:

ozzyian

Reaction score
You have really hit the nail on the head the there G.

This situation isn't going away anytime soon, whether we break out this week, next week, next month or next year nothing changes re the virus. It'll be still be there and scant chance of a vaccine/cure going on other viruses in the corona family (common cold for example).

As has been said elsewhere on the forum, we have different sections of society. Those s'hit scared to even leave their homes, the utter bell ends who don't give a monkeys, and the rest of us who realise that life will have to go on and have planned to resume life with sensible precautions and realising the risk having actually looked at cases per head in their own regions. So why are we, as a nation. going to the dogs just to appease the scared?

The whole 5 mile thing - what a pointless exercise in reality. As you say, the reality is that the death rate caused initially by health problems shoved to one side in favour of CV19 (whilst our hastily built CV19 hospitals lie empty) is going to be huge. Then the ongoing effects on the economy with mass unemployment causing further deprivation leading to early deaths.

I suspect in several decades time we'll look back (if I'm still here) and recognise we did things all wrong.
I don't think you are wrong in the slightest. The problem that all UK Govts have is setting the tone I think.

Look at what the pr!cks and thickos have been doing so far. Send them back to work, let them have a pint, ride on a train etc and back to square one we all go. I expect a version of that is what we are going to have to do anyway.

Reaction score
Another interesting article on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52892409 Two charged after having to be rescued from Beinn A' Chroin on Saturday afternoon, 60 miles from their home. Is there any difference between this and driving 60 miles to go fishing.
Glasgow to the Cobbler is 45 miles maximum. I appreciate that they have broken the rules - but why do the BBC feel it is necessary to exaggerate the mileage? I stress that I am not trying to make any excuse for their actions - I merely query the accuracy of reporting.

westie4566

Reaction score
I don't think you are wrong in the slightest. The problem that all UK Govts have is setting the tone I think.

Look at what the pr!cks and thickos have been doing so far. Send them back to work, let them have a pint, ride on a train etc and back to square one we all go. I expect a version of that is what we are going to have to do anyway.
Therein lies the rub Ian. The sensible folk will be penalised to bankruptcy or death, businesses going to the wall because of the utter feckwits. Then the feckwits will all be moaning that they can't find work and are starving because they couldn't follow very simple rules. The simple fact that their moronic actions caused their own misery will never, ever cross their shrivelled minds.

Yeah.. I am angry and having read your posts on another thread feel for your situation too!

It really isn't time for a 5 mile rule,,,,just the time for plod to go and actually go and break up these mass congregations, arrest and prosecute those in gatherings over the allowed limit. Do it fast, do it VERY publicly and make it VERY harsh. It's the only way that the mass unwashed will ever learn anything.

keirstream

Reaction score
I am absolutely sick of it all. Government, all 4 in this island and across the Irish sea have made an absolute hash of all of our lives and probably livelihoods.:( I was speaking to a G.P. the other day and he said the guidance from ScotGov is appalling. He is sick fed up with video consultations, which, he says, are worth about a f**k. He is desperate to get back face to face but reckons the lunatics are quite definitely running the asylum. All the normal patients that have been dumped for 3 months to create empty wards have become the next crisis to stretch the N.H.S. to breaking point. Operations down by 83% in April alone is a disaster already happening.
As for the couple who are splashed all over the BBC news who travelled 60miles (round trip but quite deliberately sensationalised on the report), what harm were they doing? I'd rather see folk doing that than crowding on to Portobello Beach or North Berwick where the polis did feck all.
Shock, horror.😨😨 2 people alone on a mountain!! Hanging and quartering isn't good enough for them!!
Totally and absolutely harmless, unfortunately they got into difficulty, that's quite another story.
Unless Government actually grows up and starts to think logically and sensibly rather than trying to score points against each other with Draconian measures turning us all into prisoners in our own homes and screwing any chance of recovering the economy, we're all fecked.:(

ArchieL

Reaction score
The 5 mile rule was to stop tourist hot spots becoming over crowded, this was never going to happen was it ? The whole situation is a complete mess and the working man is going to be paying for this for a long time. We just seem to be lurching from one crisis to another. So many buisnesses going bust through no fault of their own..Sad Sad times lie ahead for many people and there will be many bright people having second thoughts of starting up new busnesses due to fear of debt & of going under like has happened with this virus.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Therein lies the rub Ian. The sensible folk will be penalised to bankruptcy or death, businesses going to the wall because of the utter feckwits. Then the feckwits will all be moaning that they can't find work and are starving because they couldn't follow very simple rules. The simple fact that their moronic actions caused their own misery will never, ever cross their shrivelled minds.

Yeah.. I am angry and having read your posts on another thread feel for your situation too!

It really isn't time for a 5 mile rule,,,,just the time for plod to go and actually go and break up these mass congregations, arrest and prosecute those in gatherings over the allowed limit. Do it fast, do it VERY publicly and make it VERY harsh. It's the only way that the mass unwashed will ever learn anything.
Absolutely on point. I'm in Hampshire and the beaches are an absolute joke. All furloughed and enjoying the longest holiday they've ever had. I cannot see a spike NOT coming, I really can't. I have just opened my business having been closed since the 23rd March. It's going to take probably up to a year to try and get back to where we were. I'm on the bones of my arse. Another lockdown will finish me.

morphfly

Reaction score
Looked at the Tweed on Fishpal. I wondered who was fishing or have the beats opened up for the locals(<5 miles)
Morphfly

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Absolutely on point. I'm in Hampshire and the beaches are an absolute joke. All furloughed and enjoying the longest holiday they've ever had. I cannot see a spike NOT coming, I really can't. I have just opened my business having been closed since the 23rd March. It's going to take probably up to a year to try and get back to where we were. I'm on the bones of my arse. Another lockdown will finish me.
Sadly I can see that being the case with many businesses. As I noted in a previous post, many businesses and people are surviving financially or even doing OK at the moment due to the various government schemes. When these come to an end, the harsh reality will become apparent.