5 : 2 Diet

G

guest2938

I think you need to be put on the naughty step, with all the other salad dodgers - including myself.

The Clever Guts Diet book by the same author as 5:2 (Moseley) states that low fat yogurts contain loads of sugar (loads); we should be eating natural full fat Yogurts with good bacteria - and whole fruit , not blended or juice.

I bought both Moseleys book after reading this thread; I am taking the moral high ground on this; sorry.

I dont want to win slimmer of the year or an Iron Man contest, just healthy weight and keep relatively fit for my age.

I think im there with the fitness, some work to be done on the weight

Ill never stop the odd nibble, and as for alcohol if i was to never have a brandy or ale again in my life, well just shut the hangar doors and put the lights oot

DCH

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Certainly some low fat foods contain other "baddies" such as sugar. But you can look at the nutrition info to see that. Also, consider overall calorie content if trying to lose weight. If low fat yoghurt has less calories despite higher sugar content then it may still be better to achieve that goal.

For most people rather than eat everything that is the best possible nutritional make up for them, a balance of what they like and what is good is more realistic.

I still drink alcohol Friday to Sunday and would be loathe to give that up.

offshore

Reaction score
I dont want to win slimmer of the year or an Iron Man contest, just healthy weight and keep relatively fit for my age.

I think im there with the fitness, some work to be done on the weight

Ill never stop the odd nibble, and as for alcohol if i was to never have a brandy or ale again in my life, well just shut the hangar doors and put the lights oot

DCH

Fair enough, just thought I would mention it. Read the bit about yoghurt just a couple of days ago.

Piker20

Reaction score
Covid19 has led to some interesting looks into nutrition. Sugars in all forms appear to be worse then previously thought. Glucose, sucrose and fructose should be limited.
If your food has more than five ingredients or you cant tell what an ingredient is leave it on the shelf.

Isisalar

Reaction score

This is very good by all accounts. No fasting and eat healthy food.

Safranfoer

Reaction score

This is very good by all accounts. No fasting and eat healthy food.
This kind of diet works really well for me and it’s really easy to stick to without feeling constrained or miserable.

Mind. Any kind would right now. It’s not the food so much as the WINE.

Loxie

Reaction score
All diets work but it's what happens when you stop that's the problem. Refined carbs are just poison and the government needs to address this now. For every death from COVID there will be many many more from sugar.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
All diets work but it's what happens when you stop that's the problem. Refined carbs are just poison and the government needs to address this now. For every death from COVID there will be many many more from sugar.
I need to get back to 16:8. Having that fast every day does wonders, it's really not that hard, you can keep it up for life.

Unless you had a drink the night before, then you neeeeeeeeeed breakfast.

salarchaser

Reaction score
I need to get back to 16:8. Having that fast every day does wonders, it's really not that hard, you can keep it up for life.

Unless you had a drink the night before, then you neeeeeeeeeed breakfast.
I could do that, but nothing else.
Id have to eat for the full 8 hours to see me through the next 16.

And you wont need breakfast because you cant have been drinking the night before because you're doing 16:8. ?

salarchaser

Reaction score
Having said that, why are firms still allowed to sell us unhealthy sh*t?
Profit over health?
Its a fine line. Bordering on nanny state.
How can you ban unhealthy food when you still allow tobacco and alcohol to be sold?
All becomes very subjective and opinionated.

keirstream

Reaction score
At the start of lockdown I was 171/2 stones and a bit of a slob. My Practice Nurse said so in not so many words during my February health M.O.T.
my blood pressure was considered to be in the mild hypertension bracket. Lockdown loomed and i decided to work on the garden to pass the time which ended up a huge project, with daily heavy work routines, totally transforming the garden front and back and creating a rockery to the front. I started walking as well and have returned to some local hills doing a number of 3-5 hour walks with climbs of around 1000ft thrown in. The recent bad weather has seen me take to the exercise bike and over the last week have built up to a daily 50 minutes with a loss of up to 500Kcal. each session.
I have also cut down on most things like bread and have stopped snacking crisps and biscuits completely. My beer is restricted to Friday nights only.
Result is the scales are now hovering around 151/2 stones and steadily falling. My blood pressure is just fine, tested by my home kit and I feel much fitter. All my clothes bought over the last couple of years are hanging on me and I can't wear any of the trousers without a belt now.
My target is 14 stones, we'll see if I can sustain the progress, at the moment I am certainly enjoying new found energy levels I am experiencing.
I'm not nearly as crabbit either.:D:D

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
At the start of lockdown I was 171/2 stones and a bit of a slob. My Practice Nurse said so in not so many words during my February health M.O.T.
my blood pressure was considered to be in the mild hypertension bracket. Lockdown loomed and i decided to work on the garden to pass the time which ended up a huge project, with daily heavy work routines, totally transforming the garden front and back and creating a rockery to the front. I started walking as well and have returned to some local hills doing a number of 3-5 hour walks with climbs of around 1000ft thrown in. The recent bad weather has seen me take to the exercise bike and over the last week have built up to a daily 50 minutes with a loss of up to 500Kcal. each session.
I have also cut down on most things like bread and have stopped snacking crisps and biscuits completely. My beer is restricted to Friday nights only.
Result is the scales are now hovering around 151/2 stones and steadily falling. My blood pressure is just fine, tested by my home kit and I feel much fitter. All my clothes bought over the last couple of years are hanging on me and I can't wear any of the trousers without a belt now.
My target is 14 stones, we'll see if I can sustain the progress, at the moment I am certainly enjoying new found energy levels I am experiencing.
I'm not nearly as crabbit either.:D:D

The science is incredibly simple - consume less calories and burn off more. It's just findiing a way that works for you and is sustainable. On the plus side, you can eat almost an unlimited amount of low calorie foods (vegetables, salad etc) so no need to have an empty stomach. I found sugar (chocolate, buscuits etc) the hardest thing to keep away from initially.

mows

Reaction score
Well done Keirstream. Similar for me. Got up to 14st 9. With living in a hotel for a wee while. Over the last 6 months, haven't dieted as such, but been a bit more sensible and made sure I've walked everyday and some good hard garden graft. Now down to 12 st 12. Been experimenting the last 2 weeks on seeing what I need to do to put weight on. Turns out, with the excersise, it's actually hard to put the weight back on. Would be easy if I drank lots of beers though!

salarchaser

Reaction score
Turns out, with the excersise, it's actually hard to put the weight back on.
Weight is one thing, % body fat another.
Im over a stone lighter than this time last year (16:12 to 15:8), but my body shape is quite different. Stopped sitting behind a desk and did a bit more manual activity. Will have lost more than 1:04 of fat and put a bit of muscle on.

I've had my body fat measured a few times (electrical conductivity rather than inch pinching). BMI would show me as obese though I would only just be on the top end of normal for body fat. Heavy bones. :unsure:

Probably still overweight at 6'1" but dont feel uncomfortable with it.
Healthy eating is one thing, starving (and I use the word in the loosest sense) yourself another.
Would like to drop another 5 or 6 lb, but not going to stress over it.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Well I have the opposite problem. I seem to have a high metabolism and just can’t put weight on. I’m 6ft tall and not even 10 1/2 stone. I’m not skinny to look at I’m just bone and muscle zero fat at all. I eat like a horse and eat whatever I like but my work is very physical and really only get an hour or 2 sitting down a day I’m that busy. I would love to put on weight and have tried lots of things. I’ve had those 1000 calorie shakes in between my meals but they just made my ibs worse.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Well I have the opposite problem. I seem to have a high metabolism and just can’t put weight on. I’m 6ft tall and not even 10 1/2 stone. I’m not skinny to look at I’m just bone and muscle zero fat at all. I eat like a horse and eat whatever I like but my work is very physical and really only get an hour or 2 sitting down a day I’m that busy. I would love to put on weight and have tried lots of things. I’ve had those 1000 calorie shakes in between my meals but they just made my ibs worse.
The 3 letters in the last sentence may have something to do with it.
My wife had intestinal problems and couldnt put weight on. Turns out she is wheat and gluten intolerant (self diagnosed - trial and error). She's by no means big now, but a more comfortable weight.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Weight is one thing, % body fat another.
Im over a stone lighter than this time last year (16:12 to 15:8), but my body shape is quite different. Stopped sitting behind a desk and did a bit more manual activity. Will have lost more than 1:04 of fat and put a bit of muscle on.

I've had my body fat measured a few times (electrical conductivity rather than inch pinching). BMI would show me as obese though I would only just be on the top end of normal for body fat. Heavy bones. :unsure:

Probably still overweight at 6'1" but dont feel uncomfortable with it.
Healthy eating is one thing, starving (and I use the word in the loosest sense) yourself another.
Would like to drop another 5 or 6 lb, but not going to stress over it.

Other than cosmetically, key health indices are much more important than exact weight. Blood pressure, bad cholesterol levels, blood sugars e.t.c.

Some people with a low BMI have harmful levels of internal fat around the organs and are actually quite unhealthy.

A lot is down to genetics.

My final spur for changing my eating habits a couple of years ago was a comprehensive health check up which confirmed high blood pressure and high levels of bad cholesterol.