3D lines

DC

Reaction score
Wondering on the general view on the usage of triple D lines. Most of the main manufactures have options for this type of product but don't see much in the way of reviews/comment on the forum.

Looking to replace an old (very old and cracked) Rio AFS hover line.

Considering the Gaelforce SH Integrated Hover or maybe 3d SH (F,H,I) model.

Always found the Hover being my go to line the the spring or in high water conditions.

One benefit of the 3D (SH) being you could get different sinking combination heads , single reel /running line hence easy to change the line type as situations dictate.

any view appreciated:
ease of casting
presentation
other recommendations

Rennie

Reaction score
Eh up DC, I use the 3D concept of lines, in particular Guidelines 3D's and their Double Density lines which when used with a poly tip give a similar performance.
The most noticeable gain is when fishing sinkers to get right down in the water column.The 3D concept adopts a straighter path progressively from the back end to the tip which is the fastest sinking part of the line, this puts the tip and flee where they need to be- where the fish are, or at the depth you feel you should be presenting the flee at.As the heavier thicker portion of the line is higher in the water, they are easier to get up top to cast again, and also ensure's the bulk of the line itself isn't passing amongst any fish, avoiding spooking fish and worse possible foul hooking.
When you are or have been used to Double Taper sinkers or density compensated Spey profile full lines, these heads can feel strange in the water, at times almost as if they're just wafting along.However the tip will be where it needs to be, as the rest of the line is higher in the water, the line will fish round faster as a consequence.
By and large you won't get the delicacy of presentation from any sinker that you do from a floater, but I find 3D lines present pretty good.As sinkers are usually thinner and denser than floaters, it's unusual to find one that dosen't cast better!.
Now, when it comes to the lines your interested in.The 3D F/H/I heads have some ability for limited control due to the floating rear portion, that however can be influenced by wind and faster surface currents, I personally prefer a Hover /Inty head or a full Intermediate head, to get out of the surface flow and wind and fish a bit slower to boot, certainly early spring or late autumn.
As you've commented, one reel and running line with a variety of heads to suit conditions and circumstances seems a sensible way to kit ones self out!.Far cheaper than reels, spools,backing etc with dedicated lines.
Pedro.

Handel

Reaction score
Good advice there from Rennie. I have the Gaelforce 3D lines. Like all Gaelforce lines they are great to cast provided you have matched line to rod. But I have not really found a benefit from the FHI line, the multitip with intermediate tip does much the same thing. If I am trying to get under a fast flowing surface a hover with intermediate tip works much better. HIS3 on the other hand is a great line as is IS3S5.

DC

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses . On balance I think the hover is the best option , so its time to replace the old AFS with gaelforce model.

Zamora

Reaction score
I replaced all my 3d lines at body+tip-solutions for this summer. For my new Gaelforce Destination 14’6" #9/10 I bought Gaelforce emt 9/10 for the basic setup and completed it with couple of 475gr Rio Gamechangers (fhi & fhis3) and Gaelforce emt 9/10 s2 body. With those four different bodies and the tips from emt package, that are from float to s6, I can manage pretty much all the possible situations I usually fish. I can recommend this solution as the cost of the setup is pretty much equal with buying all the needed 3d lines, but replacing the tips is much cheaper than replacing the whole line. Hence the value in the long run is really good and of course you can add other tips to it as well. Like guideline 4d tips that are really good ones.

Handel

Reaction score
I replaced all my 3d lines at body+tip-solutions for this summer. For my new Gaelforce Destination 14’6" #9/10 I bought Gaelforce emt 9/10 for the basic setup and completed it with couple of 475gr Rio Gamechangers (fhi & fhis3) and Gaelforce emt 9/10 s2 body. With those four different bodies and the tips from emt package, that are from float to s6, I can manage pretty much all the possible situations I usually fish. I can recommend this solution as the cost of the setup is pretty much equal with buying all the needed 3d lines, but replacing the tips is much cheaper than replacing the whole line. Hence the value in the long run is really good and of course you can add other tips to it as well. Like guideline 4d tips that are really good ones.
Do you like the Gaelforce s2 body?

DC

Reaction score
too much choice ...
:(

Might be time for a re-think. I had only considered integrated Hover and the Triple Density as options.

With the body/tip (EMT) do you find the joints between head and tip an issue with snagging/ jamming in the rod eyes?

I tend to fish small to medium sized rivers and often you are working the fly at relatively short distances. My concern with any multi tip solution would constantly feeling the line bumping off the eyes as you worked the fly at short distance.

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
too much choice ...
:(

Might be time for a re-think. I had only considered integrated Hover and the Triple Density as options.

With the body/tip (EMT) do you find the joints between head and tip an issue with snagging/ jamming in the rod eyes?

I tend to fish small to medium sized rivers and often you are working the fly at relatively short distances. My concern with any multi tip solution would constantly feeling the line bumping off the eyes as you worked the fly at short distance.
I would find that a problem or, at least, irritating.

JoeE

Reaction score
It is a bit of a pain them knots, Salmologic are the smallest which work very well but you still get the knock. If you are fishing mostly small to med rivers, then stick with a multi tip line, as that leaves the join in the last 15ft or so, you'll only be there when you into her.

Spey Salar

Reaction score
How did you determine the proper Rio Gamechanger size (475gr) for the 14'6" Destination? I looked at the Rio chart and they seem to recommend a heavier line. Did you match the weight of the EMT body, or? Just wondered if you found the 475gr. worked really well.

Zamora

Reaction score
How did you determine the proper Rio Gamechanger size (475gr) for the 14'6" Destination? I looked at the Rio chart and they seem to recommend a heavier line. Did you match the weight of the EMT body, or? Just wondered if you found the 475gr. worked really well.
I use it as a scandi body, aimed the whole setup to be near 40g, body bit under 31g and tips around 10g. Works really well like that, not like normal skagit style when it would be much heavier to throw t-tips

Zamora

Reaction score
I haven’t noticed any problems with normal snakes. I use similar setup at my MacKenzie dtx atlas 12’7" and works as well than in my Gaelforce.