38lb salmon weighed & returned @ Upper caberston today.

Strathglass

Reaction score
There is a picture of a fish in the report today. :confused::confused:

Strange, it must be an issue with my browser as I cant see any picture or see the comments regards “Pics to follow”

2CD4E2DE-8B89-49E4-AE25-2DA64582263A.jpg

Not to worry...

Tyke

Reaction score
Yes by very rich people as at £470 in November on Upper Tweed is a bit too much for my pocket. Good as the beat hut and ghillie maybe.

I believe that's for the beat, not per rod, so if 6 rods share it then it's less than £80 per rod/day.

I haven't fished it so I don't know what number of rods it will fish comfortably; but I imagine it's like anywhere else & in decent conditions full rod'ing isn't a problem but in low water everyone is searching for pool necks etc.

But I've fished much more expensive beats (albeit at cheap times of the year) which were just like that.

Anyway it's a big old fish & I bet it pulled like hell!

Regards, Tyke.

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
I believe that's for the beat, not per rod, so if 6 rods share it then it's less than £80 per rod/day.

I haven't fished it so I don't know what number of rods it will fish comfortably; but I imagine it's like anywhere else & in decent conditions full rod'ing isn't a problem but in low water everyone is searching for pool necks etc.

But I've fished much more expensive beats (albeit at cheap times of the year) which were just like that.

Anyway it's a big old fish & I bet it pulled like hell!

Regards, Tyke.
were both wrong as far as I re read it.
it looks like £470 for three days per rod or £157 per day.
Still out of my range I'm afraid.

keirstream

Reaction score

£470 is for a rod for 3 days, so £157 a day.
Still pretty steep for Upper Tweed but a nice enough beat to fish, mostly through open parkland.
Over rodded at 6 rods a day particularly when the water drops.

Tyke

Reaction score
£470 is for a rod for 3 days, so £157 a day.
Still pretty steep for Upper Tweed but a nice enough beat to fish, mostly through open parkland.
Over rodded at 6 rods a day particularly when the water drops.

Aye that is more than I pay on the Upper Tweed.

Fairnilee is probably the dearest Upper Tweed beat with the Yair being about the same as Upper Caberston, all the others that I know of are less expensive & I suspect that prices will fall next season (some already have).

Regards, Tyke.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Rather than '***** and moan' as per usual on here:rolleyes: re the size of these old cock fish. I'd be more interested in an open discussion as to why these big cock fish sneak into our river systems unnoticed all season, and only appear in the backend?

Yup, I get and appreciate the fact that they are more aggressive at this time of year...so why are hens seemingly more aggressive earlier in the season??

Well done to John R for his maginficent catch. 8lb over my biggest ever and probably his PB.

Shame his moment of glory has to be dragged down by the usual keyboard warriors. It WAS weighed remember!:rolleyes:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Wether it's a 33lb backend crock or a silver fish it's still a Salmon and the fish of a lifetime so again well done to its captor :cool:

Peregrine Falkus

Reaction score
Wether it's a 33lb backend crock or a silver fish it's still a Salmon and the fish of a lifetime so again well done to its captor :cool:

Lamson, thats twice you`ve had to mention that, and fellow anglers should listen. A magnificent fish and a dream for the captor.

A lot of sniping on this thread, is the forum generally like this as its very off putting?

castor

Reaction score
Lamson, thats twice you`ve had to mention that, and fellow anglers should listen. A magnificent fish and a dream for the captor.

A lot of sniping on this thread, is the forum generally like this as its very off putting?

For some it's jealousy, for others conviction! Happens every year that big fish (in similar state of maturity) are caught and flaunted....and some critics are jealous, others are irate at the fact that pride is taken in the capture of such Kippers; both extremes snipe!

Neil W

Reaction score
That is a very nice fish. Would love to have caught one that big. I had a similar looking fish last week only it was 22lb lighter. Ah well there is always next year

rs2ford

Reaction score
The Tweed back end is always good for a few big crocs, hopefully there will be another for me this Saturday at Cardrona :).
Well done John R on your lump of a fish:cool:.

Cheers Diarmid.

Loxie

Reaction score
You can only catch the fish that takes your fly! I’d have been delighted to catch it and I bet the lucky captor was too. Westie’s point about where these big crocs lurk all summer is one I’ve often pondered. It isn’t a new phenomenon either. I can only think they are very shy until they get in to fighting mode and wake up in the Autumn. It is interesting that the Tweed Foundation believe rod exploitation of Autumn run fish is less than 5%. Would these fish be classed as Autumn run? If so there must be an awful lot sneaking in.

Seatrooter

Reaction score
Mixed

Well, what a mixed reaction from fellow anglers for such a wonderful animal to be witnessed, further to that to not deem joy for your fellow angler (especially in such times of doubt with Salmon) questions your core.

I have fished with many people whom are more than dis pleased when you hook a decent fish or plural.

Whether it be quantity, quality, or method, there are those out there who just cant get past that barrier of green eyes.

Hence now I fish alone, losing fish a plenty and no one to help land can be a little grrr at times but mostly i'm good with that as I have peace to concentrate and learn my sport.

Salmon and sea trout fishing should not be a numbers game, It is essential that we know numbers yes but generally speaking when you play the numbers game you forget the real reason you are there.

A signature on here from a member mentions hooking mortality!! think about it...It is rather special (hooking a live creature) and should be treated as such and appreciated on a level higher than the want to kill or increase numbers.

I have lost two salmon this year on the fly, and landed over 40 sea trout, for me I am most satisfied with this years sport, I would have loved a picture or to have seen the two Salmon I hooked but generally when they came of I smiled, I smiled deep within and on my boat race and took massive pleasure in being beaten, both fights were very good one shorter than the other, of course your heart sinks but I know the joy that will come when he or she comes to the shore one day.

Congratulations to the chap for his 38lb fish, worthy of many an moments reflection in the future.
For the rest of us, I am pleased and thrilled to see that sizable and healthy creatures still come to our shores.

Fingers crossed it continues.

Tight lines and here's to a bright future.

St