2020 Vision

Westcountry

Reaction score
So what will 2020 bring us in the salmon fishing world, any predictions?
All doom and gloom again or any glimmers of hope?

By some strange twist of fate I've found myself in the Far North where nearly everything appears to be pretty rosy compared to the rest of the UK. One worry is if we will see the return of "red belly" this year and if we do what effect it will have on the fish.

The Irish start today, what chance of a springer on opening day to give us a bit of hope?

Andy

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ill be my usual overly optomistic self. You have to start the season with high expsctations or you may as well stay at home or waste your time on a golf course .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
Well 2020 will be my third season back salmon fishing after a much too long layoff. It will also be my first season without the distraction of coarse match fishing as I've decided to give it 100% this year. I have new club membership on its way so a load of new water to visit.
I have achieved the main goals i set myself when i started back salmon fishing. First one was just to catch a Ribble salmon again on the fly, this was achieved in my first year. Last years goal was to catch a Ribble springer, this i achieved last April. It was also my biggest ever salmon at over 20lbs. I'm not sure what my goals are this season, but high up my list is a trip north of the border to hopefully break my Scottish duck.
I will be back out on the Ribble early doors, full of confidence and over enthusiasm, trying for another bar of silver . Let's hope for a good year with no extremes of weather, and an improvement in runs of fish.
All the best for 2020 Steve.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
I think we can expect more of the same really. NC rivers and those with less anthropogenic impacts will do well, weather and red belly permitting, the rest won't. We might start to see the first green shoots of better spring fishing, but 2:2's are likely to be in short supply in Scotland after Storm Frank, so I'm not holding my breath. We are probably only half way through a down cycle so there will be generally fewer fish anyway.

On the up side there will still be fish to catch and plenty of beautiful places to catch them in.

Reaction score
It is very difficult to predict our future season; given our winter I think that we will be affected by curious weather conditions with the rather harmful consequences for the salmon!
However, like kids, I dream of rivers like a few decades ago.