2011 T&S Best in Test 15' Salmon Rods

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
how much value it is when B&W are absent, and i think shakespeare absent too?

i think i find it's limited coverage useful in possibly avoiding a turkey though.

tbh this year i'm using a 13 foot 9/10 Daiwa Graphite Coil - bought for peanuts at auction, an ebay youngs reel that cost £15, described as "missing some coating" - i peeled the whole lot off, it is good now though the drag doesn't work, though in any case drags are for sissies.

airflo skaagit - with the snap t cast - yoooooooo duuuuuuude.

so my guidelines, hardy b&w and other daiwa are unused, i had the 15 AWM out just the wee once.

tight lines dudes.

Piscatoria

Reaction score
They said that the rod was....

sluggish, tip recovery is slow, rod feels lifeless,feels dull in the cast, have to work hard to make it work.

The rod in fairness is well finished and very light but both testers were fairly negative in their response to testing it.

What did they say about it?

D

Deleted member 1812

Jim Curry and Gary Champion have been testing 15' Salmon Rods in the April edition of T&S.

Their comments varied but one common theme was the return to rods that flexed throughout which is a shift from the Fast actioned Tip actioned rods of the Scandinavian generation of rods.

Each had their favourites but both almost agreed on a top four but in differing orders.

When combining both views the stand out rods were as follows.

1) Mackenzie DTX SH
2) Loop Opti Power Spey
3) Airflo Delta Classic
4) Hardy Uniqua/ Burkheimer Presentation

The Orvis ZG Helios Spey was tested but did not receive great comments on its performance.

The Speyworks SLP rod received positive comments on its performance but the metallic paint finish was not liked

The Michael Evans Arrowhead was described as a workhorse, heavy but bulletproof and liked by both Jim & Gary

The Loomis NRX was described as a much nicer rod than the Loomis Stinger and both Jim & Gary expressed the view that the rod likes a long smooth casting stroke and does not like to he hit too hard!

The Guideline Reaction was also well liked but as it was a Fast actioned tippy rod this went against it.

Hope this of interest.
P

Same old,same old.....I'm going to test 10 the best top selling loaves of bread with pork dripping & salt on.When I recover from my heart attack I'll let you all know which I prefered and why:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

charlieH

Reaction score
Did they again use a very small selection of lines?

The lines used were:

1. Carron Proline 10/11 (65' head).
2. Airflo Tactical Quick Spey multi-tip (50' plus tip - no detail of what tip was used).
3. Rio AFS 10/11 (40' head - no detail as to whether floating or sinking).
4. Airflo Skagit Compact 660 with 18' CCT-330 tip.

They seem to have chosen the lines with the intention of providing a range of styles, and indeed the introduction says "Each has a different taper (different head lengths and concentrations of weight) and requires a different casting stroke".

I'd have thought they might perhaps have used a true long belly floating line, with a head longer than 65', and also included a sinking line as well as just a sink tip (if indeed they even used one of the sinking tips on the Airflo). The ability to roll a sunk line up to the surface without collapsing is something I'd look for in an all-round rod, and by no means all rods have it. But all in all it seems to me quite a well constructed test - certainly better than some previous ones.

paddymc

Reaction score
The lines used were:

1. Carron Proline 10/11 (65' head).
2. Airflo Tactical Quick Spey multi-tip (50' plus tip - no detail of what tip was used).
3. Rio AFS 10/11 (40' head - no detail as to whether floating or sinking).
4. Airflo Skagit Compact 660 with 18' CCT-330 tip.

They seem to have chosen the lines with the intention of providing a range of styles, and indeed the introduction says "Each has a different taper (different head lengths and concentrations of weight) and requires a different casting stroke".

I'd have thought they might perhaps have used a true long belly floating line, with a head longer than 65', and also included a sinking line as well as just a sink tip (if indeed they even used one of the sinking tips on the Airflo). The ability to roll a sunk line up to the surface without collapsing is something I'd look for in an all-round rod, and by no means all rods have it. But all in all it seems to me quite a well constructed test - certainly better than some previous ones.

So in reality, the test was done with no more than 53` of fly line outside the top eye of the rods !!

Hardly the most comprehensive way to fully test a rod.

Springer

Reaction score
The Carron line will be nearer 60' outside the tip which is a fair representation I guess, few people cast more very well.

paddymc

Reaction score
Alan, the colour change on the proline is at 53 ft. At least it is on mine !

captain

Reaction score
Jim Curry and Gary Champion have been testing 15' Salmon Rods in the April edition of T&S.

Their comments varied but one common theme was the return to rods that flexed throughout which is a shift from the Fast actioned Tip actioned rods of the Scandinavian generation of rods.

Each had their favourites but both almost agreed on a top four but in differing orders.

When combining both views the stand out rods were as follows.

1) Mackenzie DTX SH
2) Loop Opti Power Spey
3) Airflo Delta Classic
4) Hardy Uniqua/ Burkheimer Presentation

The Orvis ZG Helios Spey was tested but did not receive great comments on its performance.

The Speyworks SLP rod received positive comments on its performance but the metallic paint finish was not liked

The Michael Evans Arrowhead was described as a workhorse, heavy but bulletproof and liked by both Jim & Gary

The Loomis NRX was described as a much nicer rod than the Loomis Stinger and both Jim & Gary expressed the view that the rod likes a long smooth casting stroke and does not like to he hit too hard!

The Guideline Reaction was also well liked but as it was a Fast actioned tippy rod this went against it.

Hope this of interest.
P

I am a beginner and I always enjoy reading these tests
by experienced anglers. I always learn something.
I may never be in a position to justify buying
an expensive rod however should this change tests
such as these give me a good starting point.

Springer

Reaction score
Alan, the colour change on the proline is at 53 ft. At least it is on mine !

That does surprise me, Ive only cast the line a couple of times and I felt it was longer. Maybe someone knows the effective head length?

Surely they have tested these rods with more than 53' outside the tip :confused:

MiSt

Reaction score
It always strikes me - as I am cynical - that reviews of rods, and anything else for that matter, tend toward favouring products from companies with a big advertising spend. I am not saying that it is necessarily so in this or similar cases but all magazines do need to survive!

Having worked in the advertising industry I do know that such favouritism can be a fact of life.

CF Burkheimer is a rod manufacturer that does not believe in advertising. They have not advertised anywhere and wil not advertised anywhere in the future either. They think that the product will speak for themselves and they certainly do IMHO. If a local dealer decides to advertise them it is a different matter...

What strikes me about the T&S tests is the fact that the so called 'value/price' factor is way too much highlighted IMHO! I have not seen this test yet but can imagine again the given point been devided some 50% price/valua and the rest to the actual performance, quality etc of the product. The rpice does not make any product to perform or be any better! So I suggest people to read these test so that you forget the 'price/value' portion of the points and then check the order ofthe top finishers again. I dare to claim that it will look some what different... ;)

Scanny

Reaction score
The Proline I've got is a shade over 63' from tip to running line, and 56' at the colour change.

Intrestingly, my 9/10 single colour 65' is 71' from tip to running line, and cast with 64' outside the tip on the same rod

Last edited: