2011 T&S Best in Test 15' Salmon Rods

Piscatoria

Reaction score
Jim Curry and Gary Champion have been testing 15' Salmon Rods in the April edition of T&S.

Their comments varied but one common theme was the return to rods that flexed throughout which is a shift from the Fast actioned Tip actioned rods of the Scandinavian generation of rods.

Each had their favourites but both almost agreed on a top four but in differing orders.

When combining both views the stand out rods were as follows.

1) Mackenzie DTX SH
2) Loop Opti Power Spey
3) Airflo Delta Classic
4) Hardy Uniqua/ Burkheimer Presentation

The Orvis ZG Helios Spey was tested but did not receive great comments on its performance.

The Speyworks SLP rod received positive comments on its performance but the metallic paint finish was not liked

The Michael Evans Arrowhead was described as a workhorse, heavy but bulletproof and liked by both Jim & Gary

The Loomis NRX was described as a much nicer rod than the Loomis Stinger and both Jim & Gary expressed the view that the rod likes a long smooth casting stroke and does not like to he hit too hard!

The Guideline Reaction was also well liked but as it was a Fast actioned tippy rod this went against it.

Hope this of interest.
P

Last edited:

helmsdale

Reaction score
I do not have a copy. What was the criteria for testing. Seems to me any view would be subjective so you you would still need to try before buying. Is there a point to these tests?

castor

Reaction score
It always strikes me - as I am cynical - that reviews of rods, and anything else for that matter, tend toward favouring products from companies with a big advertising spend. I am not saying that it is necessarily so in this or similar cases but all magazines do need to survive!

Having worked in the advertising industry I do know that such favouritism can be a fact of life.

The consequence is that I hardly ever read such reviews.

rrw35

Reaction score
It always strikes me - as I am cynical - that reviews of rods, and anything else for that matter, tend toward favouring products from companies with a big advertising spend. I am not saying that it is necessarily so in this or similar cases but all magazines do need to survive!

Having worked in the advertising industry I do know that such favouritism can be a fact of life.

The consequence is that I hardly ever read such reviews.

I have noticed this bias on several occasions in magazines, which "may be pure coincidence"...(legal disclaimer :) )

"Airflo fly line best in test................turn to page 19 for our exclusive reader offer and buy one for only £19.99....":rolleyes:

As I said, probably coincidental that the review came the same month as the fly line offer..

Last edited:

Piscatoria

Reaction score
I suspect they were looking at all round capabilities and cosmetics!

I tend not to be too cynical as these tests sort out the wheat from the chaff so we know what rods to steer clear of. When it comes to the best rod/s than that is purely down to choice and personal tastes but I suspect that as these guys have the credentials then we can fairly certain in believing it when they don't rate a rod!

Due to forums etc Rod makers cannot afford to churn out poor rods anymore as the word soon's spread and this is evident in the test! When compared to tests that T&S carried out in the early 2000 - 2006 the number of rods slated have diminished..

I do not have a copy. What was the criteria for testing. Seems to me any view would be subjective so you you would still need to try before buying. Is there a point to these tests?

Strathglass

Reaction score
The Guideline Reaction was also well liked but as it was a Fast actioned tippy rod this went against it.

Which model did they test?

Tippy was the last thing that came to mind when I tried one of these at GAC open day. The rod designers description also emphasised their ability to flex right along their full length, certainly a lightning fast recovery but never "tippy".

Ben_d

Reaction score
Not read it yet but look forward to having a squint.

The best rod reviews are those that appear in FF&FT, these are about as objective as you will get. Magnus gives data like stiffness, action accurate weight, information about swing weight etc.
I know the guys that did the T&S review and they would not big something up simply because T&S need to keep advertisers sweet. Their comments are likely to be their true findings and their reputations are worth far more to them than whatever they will have got paid for doing the test.

Some other recent T&S reviews have given me a laugh though, lines that have a tendancy towards tailing loops, testers that would have prefered midflex versions of rods that don't exist, fast rods that are stiff in the tip etc, I could go on :D

Cheers

Ben

Dabbler.07

Reaction score
How do you have access to this info when it isny in the shops yet? And thanks for spoiling it for us, not need to but it now!:rolleyes:

Dabbler.07

Reaction score
Is it out early this month? dont really see it in the shops until around the 25th each month!:confused: Seen them asking about answers to the crossword in another thread!:D

paddymc

Reaction score
That link shows the results for the 2010 test and not the 2011 one !

Piscatoria

Reaction score
The only rod to receive negative comments was the Orvis ZG Helios.

All the other rods in general were well received! This in my opinion due to the fact that most rod manufacturers cannot afford and get away with making poor quality rods! The power of forums and the internet in general have seen to that!

Which rods were least favoured?

paddymc

Reaction score
Cheers Piscatoria,

I thought It was me seeing things or doing something wrong.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
There are now 13 issues a year, hence the early delivery of April. Future months issues will get published earlier:eek:

Loop Tackle Design

Reaction score
high ad spend= a good review?

regarding favouritism for brands who spend big money in T+S perhaps it can be true,
or perhaps not.

but in Loop's defence just like to say last year AND this year Loop are spending ZERO at moment on T+S ad's,
but still this year as last year the testers say 1 of our rods is amongst their favourite,

so it is not always so biased towards high ad spend perhaps?

(can totally respect opinions of anyone who thinks that way of course though:))

Loop

Ciarán

Reaction score
Good Grief!

Another test of 15 footers...the editorial staff in T & S have some imagination for editorial diversity

Springer

Reaction score
Considering last years test was 15'ers and the growing popularity of shorter rods a 14' test may have been more useful.

It would have given you all something different to twist about :p

StuartHooley

Reaction score
Reaction review

Seams like a load of rubbish to me. No way is the Reaction fast and "tippy". They also state that it may struggle with a long headed line, well the 13'7" 9/10 I have just been using with a 70' head on the ponds just loved it. Another thing these are modern rods for modern lines, how many of us use these long bellied lines now. I cant remember the last one we sold, 60' seems to be the max these days.