2 in 2 Casts

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Having spotted a couple of larger brownies in the sunshine at the weekend, I headed down to target them. Like Billy Fish’s Devon trout, their Derbyshire cousins have just started on the mayfly.

Unusually, I took all the advice I’ve read about. I watched, waited, had a brew and then crept down the bank. Degreased the leader, checked the knots 3 times, marked the fish and cast.

First cast:

A5E24E59-BD75-4F29-9D28-E2F09C9F87CE.jpeg

2lbs 4oz on my scales, not a great picture, but it’s a tough place to take them, it’s either dry stones or these and it was pretty lively

Second cast

I thought I’d have to wait a while to let the fish settle in to the feeding rhythm again, but no, I saw a small dimple beneath a tree 6-7m below me. I made the cast downstream and shot some slack line into some water no more than 8-12” deep, about 3’ from the steep bank. I saw the Mayfly emerger quiver and thought the nymph had hit bottom. However, I was close to the fish so I lifted into it anyway and look what was attached to my line....

E533BB81-8184-478B-B5F5-0DC80546F261.jpeg

Not the best picture again. Despite appearances, this one was much bigger and weighed in at 4lbs 6 ozwith a fat belly no doubt ful of mayfly. That’s my PB wild brown trout and what a fight!

Thanks to Mrs Knollington for letting me out straight after work.:)

Here’s the pool, the first fish cane from under the wee tree in the foreground.

9298A21F-A4C0-459F-A9F7-F833E21272BE.jpeg
9298A21F-A4C0-459F-A9F7-F833E21272BE.jpeg

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Congratulations on a lovely brace of fish. While you heeded my advice on taking your time, you could give me some on casting accuracy!
On Monday I kept a pretty fish of ideal size for supper for two, which I caught with a Parachute Greenwell. On opening it up I found its stomach crammed to bursting with caddis. So for every olive it was taking on top it was munching 10 caddis near the bottom.

billy fish

Reaction score
It certainly is good fishing at the moment , but we don’t often get fish of this size. Well done.
Thanks for the report ,it’s great to read that other anglers are experiencing good sport during these uncertain times.
Colin.